Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the final, and somewhat belated, session report for my geeklist The Summer of Fun.

Robyn, Calvin, Michael and I sat down for a game of Bohnanza. No photographs this time, just some notes scrawled on the back of an envelope. I was the first to buy a third beanfield, followed by Calvin. Michael then bought her third field whilst having one other field empty. Personally, I tend not to buy the field until it is necessary, but Michael probably felt she was lagging behind, which she was. By the time we had gone through the deck for the first time, Calvin and I had nine gold each, then Robyn had four and Michael was last with three. I guess that technically put Robyn last as she hadn’t had to pay for a third beanfield yet.

Robyn soon made up for this lack of arable land by buying the third beanfield early in to the second deck. Then Calvin started acting rather strange. I don’t know if he was feeling a bit tired, or if he was trying a new tactic that he hadn’t really thought through. He gave his entire hand away to his opponents, only had one bean planted in total and wanted to dig it up. I must adit I got a bit annoyed with him as I could not understand what he was trying to do. He is normally pretty good at this game, probably the strongest player out of my children, and he provided no explanation as to what he was doing. Still, that’s nine year olds for you, I guess. At the end of the second deck, I was in the lead with 22, then Michael on 14, then Calvin on 12 and finally Robyn on 5. Calvin’s unusual tactics appeared to have cost him dearly, and Robyn didn’t seem to be able to get going at all.

In to the third deck, Robyn gave Michael 2 blue beans in exchange for four blue beans, so they could both gain one gold. An excellent bit of trading which showed me that both girls had an understanding of how to play the game. It’s not about planting and digging up, it’s about trading. I was especially pleased as they worked out the deal for their mutual benefit between them without any input from me. I was also happy as it wasn’t enough for them to catch up with me. Final scores:
Me: 29
Michael: 21
Calvin: 16
Robyn: 11

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
This game is nothing unless the Cartwrights are in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.