Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently picked up the core set and was wondering if there is a preferred order to pick up the expansions?

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably go with edge of darkness first, 2 more factions for you to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion:
Edge of Darkness (x2), then the hoth cycle.
Order of hoth cycle, depends on what you want to play.
Most of my decks except my speeder deck and imperial walker deck are mostly 2xcore + 2xedge of darkness.
I think that the executor arrives is really good in sith. -> Escape from hoth.
For multiplayer, Vader's Fist is a beast -> Battle of Hoth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how much advantage is there to having two core or two edge of darkness sets?

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is much better having 2 core and 2 edge of darkness. More fun because you'll get those cooler units onto the board more too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottder wrote:
Also, how much advantage is there to having two core or two edge of darkness sets?

Scott

The big box expansions only feature one copy of each objective. The advantage is that owning two gives you a "playset" of objectives - that is the maximum number you can have in a deck thereby increasing the conistency of your deck. With one copy of each objective, you'll only have a limited number of some of your best cards. Two copies of that objective doubles your chances of drawing those cards.

Example:
One core set gets you an objective with two copies of Sith Vader in it. Every deck you build with that objective will only have access to two copies of that Vader. Buy two core sets and you'll have four copies of that Vader in the same 50 cards. Doubles your chances of drawing it and gives you more to use (one to cast, one for back up, two for edge battles).

You can still have tons of fun with only one core set but if you want to be competitive or demand consistency out of your decks, you'll want two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 Vaders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
One core set gets you an objective with two copies of Sith Vader in it.

There is only one copy of Sith Darth Vader in Core. Playing with two copies gets you two Vaders.

If you're Vader-happy and want four copies, you could include the Imperial Navy Darth Vader from the first Hoth Pack (Desolation of Hoth), but you can't do it with just two cores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I'd probably go with edge of darkness first, 2 more factions for you to play with.

Yep, Dustin has it exactly right here. Highly recommend this choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
One core set gets you an objective with two copies of Sith Vader in it.

There is only one copy of Sith Darth Vader in Core. Playing with two copies gets you two Vaders.

If you're Vader-happy and want four copies, you could include the Imperial Navy Darth Vader from the first Hoth Pack (Desolation of Hoth), but you can't do it with just two cores.

Yeah, I just borked my math. Point remains the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see myself playing it competitively,more for more options when playing with friends casually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottder wrote:
I don't see myself playing it competitively,more for more options when playing with friends casually.

I used to feel exactly the same. I argued against buying a second core set for a very long time because I wanted variety and I had no intention of playing competitively. Also, the thought of buying two sets seemed wasteful or something like that.

But when you're playing with 10 different objective sets instead of 5 objective sets doubled, who wins will often be determined more by the randomness of the draw than who is the better player. When you double up the objectives, the randomness is reduced and the winner will more consistently be the better player. Most players find a game whose outcome is less randomly determined to be more satisfying and rewarding to play than a game whose winner is more determined by randomness.

Some might consider that a flaw in the game, but I think it was designed to be used with doubled objective sets (at least doubles for your best objective sets). Before I bought a second core set, at the end of the match, my opponent or I would look through our draw decks and often lament about how he/I never got to draw (and play) Vader or Yoda or Luke or Han. Since getting a second core, that simply isn't a problem anymore.

The nice thing about the Force Packs is that they already include doubles of all of the objective sets that can be doubled, so you only need to buy one of each of those. After another Cycle or two, there will probably come a time when you don't need two cores and you can build excellent decks out of mostly the Force Packs, but we're not quite there yet, IMHO. I wish they would've just included doubles for all the objective sets in the core box and the Edge of Darkness box, but FFG didn't do that, presumably to make the buy-in cost appear to be cheaper.

If you just want to test the waters to see how much you enjoy the game, by all means, I would suggest that you next buy one copy of the Edge of Darkness deluxe expansion. But once you decide that this is the game for you, I recommend that you buy another core set and another Edge of Darkness set. And then start buying the Force Packs. The Hoth Cycle is fantastic, from start to finish, so I'd just recommend that you get the whole Cycle, and you might as well go in order, I think.

The Balance of the Force deluxe expansion is due in December. It adds support for more than two players. Just to be confusing, you only need to buy one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Darth, looks like Amazon has a decent price on Edge of Darkness right now too. Time to rope my son into a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.