Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Ticket to Ride one day at a store before I was even into games. I paid nearly $50 for it but have easily played more than 50 times. Now I'm playing for pennies on my investment.

I bought Catan for $30 and I've only been able to play maybe 10 times. So basically $3/per play but I love it and would play more if I could.

I got Small World used for $15. I've played it twice. $7.50 per play! Errgh.

In terms of your per play investment, what has held up the most? And what was that regret buy where you'll never recoup your losses or you gave up and sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole, hands down.

Spent $200 on a board and have easily 1000 plays on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go. I've spent a pretty penny on a good board, bowls and stones, but at over 300 logged plays they've more than earned their keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it cheating if you got the game for $1 or $2 from a clearance or thrifting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not cheating but maybe you could say, I bought it for $1 and played it once. Sure am glad I didn't pay $45 retail!

Or...I bought it for $1 and played it 200 times. Somebody owes me money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
For me? Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. Easily played it over 100 times. And it the original first edition(the more sought out edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically hope for 1 play per $1 spent on a game which isn't always fair (e.g. game of Hive (5-10 mins) vs Railways of the World (1.5-3hrs)) but it works.

Our newest game Guildhall has already seen 38 plays this month covering its cost and then some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo - I played the hell out of this and I'm sure I'll play more in the future.

Oregon - My wife's favorite, even though I had to import my copy it was worth every dollars.

Finally, I have to include Descent 1st edition, even though I have not played as much as I want, but the sheer amount of time I spent painting, sorting, reading threads, testing variants and scenarios, make up for game played. It is probably the game I spent the most time with since 2008.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easily Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game & expansions. Even with sleeving all the cards, and resleeving all the skill & loyalty cards. I think we're well over 200 plays now.

We're doing quite well with Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) & expansions too. We've got 49 plays in the nearly 2 years we've had it. Cost per play is still at a few dollars, but with an average playing time of 6 hours, cost per hour played is pretty low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a guy who reports this for himself at the end of each year.

Best bang for the $: Illuminati
Worst bang for the $: Planet Steam? Archipelago? Tough call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Investment is not merely money. Nor is return merely # of playings nor
even hours played.

If it were, the easy answer would be the decks of standard playing
cards I've bought over my life. It MAY still be the answer (no boardgame
has gotten me laughing to tears the way some card games have, for example).
Go, when I was studying it, certainly qualified as a good purchase too.

But, some higher priced/lower total playtime games have provided great
pleasure/enjoyment of a different nature.

My 'ultimate bargain' of Talisman, a couple expansions, and all the
minis for 'em comes out well on the time vs. money comparison, but
the game was never anything but a time waster for me. Certainly,
I couldn't judge it as a great bargain, when I probably regret time
spent playing it (other than in making others happy). I'd much rather
have played something I didn't play so often.

I guess the 'best times' on games that I bought would go to Magic
(gods how many plays - but expensive), and SFB (again, many plays
with a high monetary investment). But, when I play anything so
much (and I loved these two), they lose something. In some ways,
the thrill of investigating is a better thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say TransAmerica, though we haven't played it as much this year.

Our group began about 13 years ago, and once TransAmerica came out, it became a popular filler, getting played at least once every week.

A close second is probably Money!, which has been another popular filler game for us.

Least return on investment? I'd say Anno 1452, which I own the German edition of. I've owned it for at least a decade, and it's never been to the game table -- my own fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, not sure how much I spent on Magic and how many games I played back then, but I think it could be a good money/play ratio.

On board games I think it's Airlines Europe, which I got for 2€ and played several times.

Dominion is another good candidate but as I started logging plays at Essen this year, I can't really tell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Saboteur. We play it at the lunch break almost every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy call for me, Hanabi. I've easily played it over 50 times, and had hundreds of hours of satisfying gaming out of it. If you find a local group that gets bitten by the Hanabi bug, you'll end up playing *tons* of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35167/the-worth-of-my-...

Battleball still probably holds the title for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
A bunch of standard card decks over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World. It is one of the most expensive games (the most if you add in expansions), but it is also the most consistently played game in my collection. Everyone likes it and it plays well from 2-6 players which is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Physical boardgame: Race for the Galaxy - bought a used copy nearly a year ago for less than $25, easily over 200 plays so far, maybe even over 300.

Computer version of a boardgame: Goko Dominion - $45 for all expansions, played over 2000 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd observe that you're only considering each particular game's status at this immediate moment. Is there a deadline? If you're going to gauge value by number of plays, then any game you own will theoretically improve in value over time; there's no difference whether or not fifty plays are logged within a year or five years. THAT'S the investment, even if not immediate.

And while I've certainly regretted purchases in the past, I've rarely felt like they were a waste or that I could never recoup losses. I look at it as experience spent toward learning what types of games I ultimately enjoy and/or what will be received well by my various gaming groups, and it helps to make more intelligent/informed purchasing decisions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy in terms of boardgame ROI: Arkham Horror. 100+ plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played between 1,500 and 2,000 games of Up Front bought 30 years ago. Even counting the fact that I'm on my third copy of the game (one worn out, one retired), I've spent no more than about $150 on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we discount online plays (as you're not really using the components you bought) then it's almost certainly Archipelago for me. Dozens of plays and we love it more than ever, and that's without a couple of dozen solo plays.

If you include online then it's Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. Probably only 20-30 plays with my copy but another 15 or so with other sets, and something like 5-600 online...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a pristine, full-sized Loopin' Louie for $2 at a thrift. Easily played more than 100 times. Same for Batik, which I got from a thrift for $2 and have played at least 100 times.

In a "current" game, nothing has beaten King of Tokyo. It's a game I can take anywhere, and anyone will play it. I don't have all plays recorded for it, but I think I spent $35 and have played it at least that many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
Saint Petersburg
Lost Cities
Dominion
Alhambra
Portobello Market
Samarkand: Routes to Riches
London
Hacienda
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game
Ta Yü
The Hanging Gardens

These are my wife's favorite games. She and I alternate choosing which game to play. She often picks games from the above list over and over again, while I am more likely to choose a different game almost every time. Therefore, we get more plays out of her favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.