Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface

I haven't touched my B:AGS for a very long time, but I decided to try it again. I have always been more fan of OCS, and EFS has looked like a too rigid and comlicated. However, I wanted to have some little fun diversion in the evenings while working on my master thesis, so I decided to set-up Runstedt attack!, one map and six turn scenario, and play it solo. I played this scenario in one and a half week. Usually I played for an hour every day, but somedays I didn't have time to touch the game, so I suspect it took me about 12 hours to complete this. The first 3 turns took most of the time, since I had to learn the rules from the scratch and I did have to check rules a lot.

Summary

My plan for Germany was to take Peremyshl quickly and thus force Soviets make unfavorable mandated mandated attacks. Then I was to surround and take Lvov before the end of turn 4 while taking Kovel, Lutsk and Brody and in the other sectors. My Soviet plan was to delay Axis advance and then make a final stand near the objectives.

My inexperience with the EFS system was obvious. The German attack was a real disaster. I breached the Soviet line everywhere except near Peremyshl, but the exploitation was badly done. I rushed German motorized divisions behind enemy lines and then infantry didn't have enough strenght to clear roads and rail lines. Soviets were able to hold Peremyshl, Yavorov, Rava Russkaya and Vel. Mosty and that stopped German advances coupled with mud on turn 4, since I was able to supply only one or two attacks near Lvov. Vel. Mosty and Rava Russkaya fell on turn 3, Yavorov fell on turn 5 and Peremyshl on the last turn, after one panzer divisions was diverted there. That meant that two panzer and one motorized divisions on the west of Lvov were not properly supplied with ASPs. Thus Lvov never fell. I suspect that had Yavorov or Rava Russkaya fallen on turn 2, Axis would had a chance to take Lvov in the end of turn 4 and thus won the scenario.

In the north the things were marginally better. Kovel fell on turn 5 after bloody battles (I wasn't able to shut down Soviet HQ that was able to give No Retreat orders to the defenders of Kovel). Althought infantry divisions advanced towards Lutsk slowly, Akva river was quickly crossed and Lutsk fell easily on turn 6 since Soviet had diverted most of the reinforcements to Kovel and Brody. Brody was a targed of a motorized division, which had more than plenty of artillery support. This sector was the most of all, since I tried to pull off a Soviet mobile counter-attack to cut the road between Radekhov and Lopatin. It was partially succesfull and motorized division had to take emergence supply. However almost suicidical counter attack by badly mauled infantry divisions were able to clear the road with support from artillery and completely wiped out Soviet spearhead. Thus Brody fell on turn 6 after a bloody fight.

Conclusion

The game was a clear Axis defeat. Germany got 4 VPs for objectives (Peremyshl, Kovel, Lutsk, Brody), 2 VPs for destroying one HQ. Both sides lost armaments worth one victory point, so the final count was 6 VPs, two short for German victory.

The game was a blast, and I did have really food time playing it. The system is actually pretty simple after the basics are learned. But the learning takes time since the rulebook is wordy and it could be organized better. But there are lots of good rules, I especially like:

- supply rules, the need to have ASPs cuts down the number of possible attacks in the turn and forces to pick the battles, kind of OCS-lite, but with less head aches

- ZOC effects, you can have a sparse line since ZOCs block movement, but having a solid line is rewarded since you have to attack every unit that has a ZOC into attacker hexes

- simple air rules, I am not a big fan of OCS air campaigning and the detail in EFS seems to be appropriate

- battles aren't too bloody. unlike OCS units, EFS units have pretty decent stamina and half of the panzer division isn't wasted after an attack

The only problem I had sometimes was that the battles felt pretty random. There aren't too many DRMs and 1d10 coupled with CRT gives pretty wild swings. Or then it seems that I threw lots of 10s...

Summa summarum, playing B:AGS was a blast, and I would love to play the whole campaign some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, which is more complicated, OCS or EFS? I haven't tried AGS, but I've played Typhoon - just not the whole campaign. I've been thinking about OCS, but it looks really difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
So, which is more complicated, OCS or EFS?

I would say that they are about the same in the complexity scale. The supply and air rules are more complex in OCS, but movement, ZOC and combat systems are more complicated in EFS.

Both systems take their time to learn, but are pretty simple after a game or two. Both are very good systems, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.