United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gift Evolutions can be given away when dealing damage. And they are typically negative for the current holder. So, considering that Evolutions can be played at "any time" which of the following is the way that you can give them away?

1. Play the evolution before rolling, possibly suffering the penalty until you roll damage, then give it away when damaging someone.

Or

2. Roll dice, and then immediately before damaging another monster, play the Evolution so that you may give it away. In effect, play it only immediately as the damage occurs.

Looks fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 2. You don't reveal it until you hammer someone with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the 'owner' of the gift (i.e.the monster who produces it) immune to its effects? Or is that just some of them?

If so, you'd play it as soon as you drew it so next time you damage someone you can pass it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the wording in front of me so I'm going to reference "Originator" and "Possessor".

In my opinion this is how it resolves. The Originator rolls 3 hearts and draws a card. Ooh it's a gift. I'll hold onto that till next turn. Next turn I roll a claw. "You take 1 damage and this gift." Played from my "hand". The immunity comes into effect if the possessor manages to damage the originator and gives it back. Either "crap!" or "haha i'm immune". You don't have to play it on yourself. It's the same with the keep power up cards. They don't have to be revealed prior to their trigger. You can go "but wait I have this power up".

If there are contradicting rules written somewhere let me know, but this is how my group has always understood it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess both are possible, as -if I remember well- you can play Evolution cards at any time. So you can either play it in front of you (especially if you're immune to its effects) and give it the next time you deal damage, or keep it secret until you actually roll some claws (in French, they're called "Surprise" Evolutions! ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
Isn't the 'owner' of the gift (i.e.the monster who produces it) immune to its effects? Or is that just some of them?

My reading was that the owner was immune to the effects. I think the wording is pretty bad though which could be a translation issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
(in French, they're called "Surprise" Evolutions! ).

That's much clearer to my understanding.
You wait until you roll some claws, then "Surprise!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, because then it's not much of a surprise to the person it is passed to the next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.