MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
SUBJ. Qyshinsu is an incredible game, but getting the original is probably way too costly for me. Therefore, I've ordered a set of laser-cut pieces.

The pieces are Hive Pocket-size (much smaller than the original ones, I guess), with approximately 2mm-thick borders on one-border pieces and 1 and 0.5 mm thick on double-border ones.

I do understand that I need to buy a very nice fine-tip brush and a set of paint, but -- what paint would work well and get the same effect on them as in the original? Miniature paint?

Is there a relatively painful painless way to remove the paint if I, by chance, plop a drop not where it should be?

Thank you in advance! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:

Is there a relatively painful way to remove the paint if I, by chance, plop a drop not where it should be?

There are many painful ways to remove paint, but you probably meant painless.

If the ordered pieces aren't too soft, you could paint them, wait until they're dry, and use fine (right word?) sanding paper to remove some accidentally overpainted spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there is no easy scrub-it-off-with-a-brushtipful-of-solvent solution?

The indentations are not quite deep, and I think even the fine sandpaper might damage the paint beneath. The wood's laser-cuttable plywood -- and I think it is quite soft and breakable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, plywood is probably too soft for that method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
plywood is probably too soft for that method.

I would not think of that as a problem.
Use this easy method: spray paint the pieces with glossy acrylic coating. When dry, paint the pieces "all over" meaning covering the whole surface area thinly. Then take a 600 or 800 sanding paper and in circular motion remove the paint from the raised areas. Put the sanding paper on a desk and sand the pieces on said desk, not free handed! Clear coat again. Done! The clear coat hardens the wood and lessens the grip the paint has to the surface. And afterwards it protect the paint from getting chipped off.
Have fun
FH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unusual! Thank you very much! =)

One problem though: the spray coating is probably a bit hard to find in Russia (not that I will not try to). Is there a smear-it-on-the-thing analogue you could recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to "the complete future" there's a floor polish called Astonish that is sold in some parts of Russia and Ukraine which will do what you want. (In the US, Future Floor Wax; in the UK, Klear.)

These products are basically an acrylic medium like you'd find in acrylic paint, but with no pigment in at all, so they act as an acrylic gloss varnish that you can brush or airbrush onto things, at a much lower cost than art-supply acrylic varnishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know your second image has what looks like a double grooved border, but from what I can find here at the 'Geek there are just red and black, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 spokes, a pair of each for 24 total. Are you sure you're not overthinking this? A few brushes, some acrylic paint, a steady hand (practice on scrap paper), and the aforementioned light (extra fine) sanding after dry for the slips, and they should be ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
So, there is no easy scrub-it-off-with-a-brushtipful-of-solvent solution?

The indentations are not quite deep, and I think even the fine sandpaper might damage the paint beneath. The wood's laser-cuttable plywood -- and I think it is quite soft and breakable.

Sandpaper made for automobile repair finishing, like 800 grit or finer, flat on a smooth surface, and gently scrubbing the painted side face down will be like the finishing touch on fingernails. Just start slow and gentle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the double-grooved border for one of the players to distinguish them easier during the play -- and only after ordering them thought of painting. -.-

I have a few test pieces (I asked for them beforehand), so I have somewhere to practice. A steady hand, however... (sigh)

Nevertheless, thank you very much for the advice! It is the first time I work with wood and not with paper, and I am quite nervous. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a clear coat before or after ... you can only decide with experience. But your playing pieces might benefit from a bit of furniture finish type stain after painting. Or they could age with the oils from the fingers that play them. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.