BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deck building games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kara Stubbs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've played some deck building games before, dominion and thunderstone.

I loved Thunderstone, however my partner has Dominion intrigue and I feel the two systems whilst thematically different are potentially too similar for us to really get the full enjoyment from both.

I'm looking for suggestion of deck building games that are different from dominion and thunderstone if possible and have the ability to play with more than 2 players (why I didn't automatically go for android: netrunner.)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension plays a bit differently, and is well supported. Rather than have 10 cards to choose from each game, Ascension has 100+ that rotate through a shared purchase pile available to all players. It's quite fun; if you're not sure about it, you can download the base game on iOS for a reasonable cost (sometimes it's free if you watch the sales).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
For "different" deck builders:

Eminent Domain is an interesting hybrid of deck building and role-selection.

Quarriors! is a deckbuilder that uses custom dice instead of a deck, making for a very different feel than other deckbuilders.

and my own personal favorite:

Puzzle Strike (3rd) is a deckbuilder which tweaks the Dominion formula with asymmetric starting conditions and a more dynamic victory condition leading to more direct interaction. However the game only scales up to 4 players, and is better with fewer, so that may be an issue for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I'm really enjoying these days is Trains.

While its deck-building mimics that of Dominion (the functions on many of the cards are the same though the theme is different), the game is friendlier (no attack decks) and the VPs are earned mostly through extending your rail network to city spaces and building stations on those spaces.

It handles 2-4 players. I've played with 3 and 4 players and its great, but I have no experience with the 2-player game.

To me, it's "Dominion-Meets-Ticket To Ride."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Puzzle Strike (3rd ed). At 2p it's a tight deckbuilder but I think it plays very well at 4p, as long as folks are countercrashing for each other and reigning in the leader

While it shares some mechanics with Dominion, it feels like a very different game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Kranthorp wrote:
Hi, I've played some deck building games before, dominion and thunderstone.

I loved Thunderstone, however my partner has Dominion intrigue and I feel the two systems whilst thematically different are potentially too similar for us to really get the full enjoyment from both.

I'm looking for suggestion of deck building games that are different from dominion and thunderstone if possible and have the ability to play with more than 2 players (why I didn't automatically go for android: netrunner.)

Thanks.

It is a bit old, but still...
Deck-building in games that are NOT like Dominion
(I would be glad if people would add more recent games ok ok sorry for the self-promotion)
Beware: some of the games there are.. er.. not considered deckbuilding games by Dominion crowds. Still, they have deckbuilding (the mechanic, a better name would be "deck management"), and they are not at all like Dominion. Blood Bowl Team Manager is an example.

Some games with Deck Management that I enjoy:

Rune Age: it plays completely differently than Dominion; you technically can play it thinking "Dominion", but that way the game sucks, and the big bad dragon will eat you up, anyway. Different scenarios: competitive, co-op...

Arcana you try to outbid people for the cards you want.

Shadowrift: a pure co-op deck management game; I like it even if it is a bit long (= for me: more than an hour).

Eaten by Zombies!: even if I did not play this as much as I would like, it is certainly an original take on deck management.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, OK...I have to be the obnoxious one!

It is not a "true" deck builder but A Few Acres of Snow has a deck building mechanic in it like no other game.

It is a game that really defies easy pigeon-holing; I always describe it as a deck builing, economic, worker placement, Euro, wargame.

Don't mind all the negatives that people report with this game. The so called "broken" element isn't as obvious as some would say. Don't look it up, don't buy the first edition and if you figure out the "broken" strategy (don't look it up on the internet either!) just simply don't play that strategy.

I have no clue if this is anything close to what you are looking for but it does fit the deck building mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Night
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Puzzle Strike!

I've played Dominion, but got Thunderstone for more theme. Then, I got Puzzle Strike (3rd edition, pink box), and I'd rather play Puzzle Strike than either Dominion or Thunderstone now.

Puzzle Strike has a lot of interaction. The chips are fun to handle. There are some nice catch up mechanics (draw more, the closer you are to losing). There are also special character chips that you get at the beginning that helps guide your overall strategy. The game also generally doesn't overstay its welcome (one of the issues I had with Thudnerstone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree, A Few Acres of Snow is a wicked fantastic game. And it's definitely a deckbuilder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ascension: Storm of Souls and/or Ascension: Return of the Fallen.

Instead of having 10 "piles" of cards, you just have 5 random cards. If someone buys it, it's replaced with another random card. There's two resources: "runes" to buy Heroes and "power" to defeat Monsters.

Heroes are the equivalent of Action cards in Dominion. There is no equivalent of Monsters, but essentially paying enough power will allow you to defeat them to acquire victory points and a get a one-time reward.

The cards tend to be more complicated then in Dominion and interact better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
This space intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

While its deck-building mimics that of Dominion (the functions on many of the cards are the same though the theme is different), the game is friendlier (no attack decks) and the VPs are earned mostly through extending your rail network to city spaces and building stations on those spaces.

What I like about Trains is that while the decks themsleves don't involve "attacks," you can directly affect your opponents through route placement. Players could be aggressive or passive using the exact same bank cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
This space intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
ashnight wrote:
+1 Puzzle Strike!

I've played Dominion, but got Thunderstone for more theme. Then, I got Puzzle Strike (3rd edition, pink box)

The other editions of the base set have the same color box. 3E adds the green "Third Edition" text at the bottom of the chip on the cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall

Rather than racing solo for victory points, you are attacking each other with monsters! And instead of playing your hand on autopilot, how you play your hand matters.

Plus, the game's designer does an incredible job of supporting the game here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds plays from 2 to 5 players, and in my mind marries the theme with its mechanics very well. The scifi/space theme also speaks to me.

Deck building is only part of the Core Worlds, you also have to manage the sparse resources of actions and energy. You deploy troops into your war-zone, so they can attack the worlds that come up into the central zone during each round. Alternatively you can draft card from the central zone into your deck.

There is no direct interaction, but the struggle to draft the best cards and conquer the best worlds is fierce. You also have to adapt your strategy, because you are not sure which worlds and units come up during the game (except the Core Worlds all come out at the end round, and those give bonus points according to different criteria).

The basic game takes about 1.5 hours with 3 players. I first thought that the game would not work well with 5 players. When we tried with 5, I was surprised how well it worked. I now think the game may even be the best with 5 (or 4) players, because you get to see more of the worlds and units and tactic cards, so there are more options for everyone even when their best option is snatched from under their nose.

You can also parallelize the game a bit to speed it up: when you start to deploy, the next player can start their action, unless their decision depends on which units you deploy.

There is also an expansion Galactic Orders, which make a good game even better (although adds to the game length due to more options), and another expansion in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might look at DC Deck Builder - dunno how it 'compares' though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to add on about Core Worlds, I've never looked into it and the theme doesn't do anything for me. But from what I have heard from other gamers, the game absolutely looks like a unique one with engaging gameplay. Worth a look

Still, my rec is for Puzzle Strike The base game alone is a ton of replayability, much more than Dominion. With Shadows expansion (and only get it once you're sure you've seen all there is to be seen), that goes to near infinite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C T
United States
Bloomfield Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fantastiqa
Great fun light deck builder and hand management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caleb G.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good deck builders that are multiplayer and very different from dominion?
I would say my favorites are:

Eminent domain
Core worlds
Marvel: legendary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy Eminent Domain. I play it a lot with 2 players, but also works well with 3 or 4 players.

If you want the purchase options to keep changing, you can play Ascension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Ascension was just ok. My issue was that just when you feel like you're deck is clicking, the game is over. I also find far too much luck in the game. If I have to deal with that much luck in what cards come out, I'd rather just play Quarriors and roll some dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love A Few Acres of Snow and Shadowrift... For something a little more confrontational, than Dominion and Thunderstone maybe have a look at Arctic Scavengers. Lot of game in the box and the new edition includes all the expansions. It's a little different from the regular fantasy themes. We rather enjoy it.

Hoping to get Trains, myself, for Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
Eldard wrote:

What I like about Trains is that while the decks themsleves don't involve "attacks," you can directly affect your opponents through route placement. Players could be aggressive or passive using the exact same bank cards.

Agreed. That's what I think makes it a deck-building game unlike Dominion and the like. Like A Few Acres of Snow, players build decks to execute a strategy on the board, where the player interaction resides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I agree, A Few Acres of Snow is a wicked fantastic game. And it's definitely a deckbuilder

A Few Acres of Snow is one of my favorites. I always enjoy playing it.

Being a lifelong French & Indian War enthusiast, I think Wallace's asymmetric French and British decks are historically sound and mechanically brilliant.

It's very different from Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivay
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resident Evil
City of Iron (more euro less deck building but there is a little in there and it's a FAR cry from Dominion)
Blood Bowl Team Manger (plus expansion if you can. Adds some real good stuff)
Mage Knight has some deck building and is very different from Dominion. (a lot heavier by contrast and can be a real brain burner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one: Mage Knight Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.