Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Lemaire
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Sorry for my English, it's not my native language]

Yesterday, I have my first play on Island Fortress. 4 Players.

A little bit too long but, it's because certain players take longer to play her turn.. and don't think in advance during other player turn...

Very nice game, I enjoyed.
And i winning the game by 51, the second has 50. Very tight.
Third has around 40 and last, was far away..

I find favor cards not very attractive, but i saw this topic: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/979000/does-anyone-find-that... who answer the questions.
Nobody in our games take the action for draw another favor cards.
I favored two cards (and winning the game), and the fourth player who has harder favors did her three cards with great effort.

Others things: why are there so many treasure tokens ???
At the end of the game, all players has a maximum of 20 treasures (so maybe 10 tokens max (with the 3 treasures tokens))
I find the Treasurer B Action (take a treasure token) very weak: first, you need to lose two prisoners (that you sent in two different prisons)... so you actually need to have two prisoners in stock.
After, have a treasure token is worth nothing except if you have a multiple of three.
And, you actually need to replay treasure A Action (take jades) for have the bonus of 1 more jades.

I don't believe in a race for treasures to have the three points bonus at the end (or avoid the 3 points malus)... maybe in a two players game.
So, why so many treasure tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Florian. I'm glad you enjoyed playing. Here are some answers to your questions...

The Favor Cards are a matter of personal preference. Some people like using a strong Favor Card strategy (and use it effectively!), others only play them if they happen to coincidentally build a pattern of a card they are holding. There is no right or wrong in how you prefer to play them or if you play them at all. ALL Favor Cards give at least 1 VP plus other benefits. It is up to the players to decide what they think is worth going for or not.

Yes, there are many Treasure tokens, but there is not a maximum of 20 Treasure tokens per player that can be won in a game. Some completed Favor Cards also give Treasure rewards AND having majority on a wall level also gives a Treasure token. Not to mention, with Buyback chips, more Treasures can be gained. Also, keep in mind that there needs to be enough Treasure tokens to satisfy a 5 or 6 player game since the 5-6 Player Expansion does not come with Treasure tokens. We would rather see you have too many tokens than not enough. Nothing worse than not having sufficient components to play a game!

Yes, you need to send out 2 convicts to separate prisons to collect a Treasure. Remember, the treasure will give you a VP, plus could lead to 3 more VPs if you have the most at the end of the game (or at least keep you from losing 3 VPs as long as you don't have the fewest treasures). Convicts are easy, cheap labor in the game. EVERY way to gain VPs in the game takes at least an action and/or some form of work. Collecting a Treasure is no different. Again, it is all player preference. If you don't think occasionally collecting treasures is worth it, then certainly you never have to use that action. However, you must be willing to accept the fact you will lose 3 VPs at the end of the game, while giving another player 3 VPs (that's a 6 point swing!!!).

Thanks again for playing. I hope I answered all of your questions! Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Lemaire
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thanks for the reply.

I finally replay the game yesterday night.
In 3 players configuration.

first finished with 60 points !!!
second with 37 and me, last with 32...
The game finished in round 11 after the winner put a wall in last free space.

Rules are clear, but: The game have to finish immediately after finish the fortress ? I found this very sucks.
I wish wanted that we finished the round (all players have played 3 cards) before proclaiming end game.

I try to collect treasure in the first 3 rounds to have a extra jade when i play treasurer.
But I lost many times to do this (and don't have many jades because... i did'nt play treasurer for jade but for treasure...
And didn't have the 3 points bonus at the end, because, an other player expand his treasures towards the end...

and favor cards... very frustrated :@
Almost finished this:

x x
O x x
and this in the same time:

x x
o o x

but a player took me the place in the left. Ok, i can replace it.
But after claim a favor card with this block...where she put a reinforcement token

--------------

Next time i played: just one strategy: build for have majority in rows and build on tower.
It seems that is the only one winning strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Florian. Yes, when the wall is complete, the current player finishes their turn and then the game ends. When the wall is complete, the job is done and the architects, workers, etc pack up and go home. Players have to plan carefully for this! If you see there are only four or five vacant places left on the wall to build, you have to really start thinking end game.

There's nothing wrong with playing a strategy without Favor cards. Some people do that. Others like to go heavy with them. It's all a matter of personal taste and/or situational from game to game. Have you played using the promo cards? A couple of the promo cards enhance/strengthen Favor card use. Also, there are some things coming down the road a little bit that can strengthen a Favor card strategy. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.