Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
186 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [DECK] Gabriel Santiago - Pure Scumbag Tactics (Plugged In Winner, San Mateo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theory behind Pure Scumbag Tactics is that you can win before the corporation could even theoretically win, without sacrificing late-game performance. It achieves this through using the most efficient breakers possible to enable sustainable runs, Sneakdoor Beta, and Indexing to seal the deal. The economy advantage for running HQ with Gabe is huge, both for empowering Sneakdoor Beta, and giving you an excuse to run HQ more, where agendas hide more often than not. With the amount of central pressure, Yog.0, and two Parasites, it can take a while before the corp can afford to set up a 2-ICE remote, which further contributes to agendas pooling in HQ. Indexing enables me to win games right as the corp is getting back up to speed.

Quote:
Events
Account Siphon x3
Dirty Laundry x3
Emergency Shutdown x2
Forged Activation Orders x3
Indexing x2 (6inf)
Inside Job x2
Special Order x3
Sure Gamble x3

Hardware
Desperado x2
Plascrete Carapace x3

Programs
Corroder x1 (2inf)
Datasucker x2 (2inf)
Faerie x3
Femme Fatale x1
Parasite x2 (4inf)
Sneakdoor Beta x3
Yog.0 x1 (1inf)

Resources
Armitage Codebusting x3
Same Old Thing x3

- - - - - -
45 Cards - 9 Anarch Influence / 6 Shaper Influence

I’m firmly convinced a well-made Gabe deck is superior to Andromeda, but is substantially harder to play. Credit management is incredibly important, and the choice to trash (or not trash) a particular card you get faced with is often a difficult fork in the road. Risk assessment is huge as well, with only one copy of each breaker, a Snare! or Rototurret could potentially decimate your chances of victory. The timing of cards is also a make-or-break issue; Siphoning when the corp is too wealthy, playing Special Order without setting up to maximize its effectiveness, and using Same Old Things for events other than Account Siphon (most often Inside Job, Special Order, or Indexing) when it should have been saved will all often leave you dead in the water. When piloted well, by the runner being extremely aggressive without being reckless, this deck absolutely crushes it.

Matchup-wise, I feel a very good Jinteki is the toughest; many sources of painful net damage means you need to be much more careful than normal, which negates the speed of this deck greatly. Celebrity Gift is a huge boon, and makes chain-Siphon And Neural EMP/Ronin can be as legitimate a threat as Scorched Earth. Weyland packing Snare! is similarly tough; there are fewer threats to dodge, but their agendas are much more powerful, requiring more immediate pressure. Without Snare, you can largely just go nuts on Weyland as long as you have Plascrete or enough credits to dodge SEA. HB and NB are the easiest matches, since you can absolutely just go crazy, though it still isn’t free against good players. HB is a bit harder to cripple economically, and has Eli, a super good central defense. NBN has Astroscript though, which means you have less margin for error, and Caduceus is amazing in Making News and is very obnoxious until you get a Femme out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [DECK] Gabriel Sandiago - Pure Scumbag Tactics (Plugged In Winner, San Mateo)
hoobajoo wrote:
I’m firmly convinced a well-made Gabe deck is superior to Andromeda, but is substantially harder to play.

I think I fell in love with you. No really, I was ranting about this last night. Andromeda is blank after the first turn! I really agree with a lot of what you have to say, Gabe requires careful choices with money, clicks, and cards. Indexing is a PRIMO choice for Same Old Thing, and clutch for Gabe's late game.

In testing last night I found NBN to be a rough matchup, because them chaining closed accounts at the wrong times is HARSH for Gabe. Plus sometimes the Astroscript chain just happens and you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [DECK] Gabriel Sandiago - Pure Scumbag Tactics (Plugged In Winner, San Mateo)
Oji4life wrote:
Andromeda is blank after the first turn!
She still has 1 base link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice deck, and congrats on the win! Totally living on the edge with one breaker each (-faerie). High risk, high reward... Such is Gabe. I am sure parasite helps with this. I can see how if you get this in motion early, it's tough to stop. Do you ever have MU issues? If a corp got to mid-late game with good protection on centrals, it seems like it could start going very bad for you. Did you have to over come this at all in the tourney?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
Oji4life wrote:
Andromeda is effectively blank after the first turn!
She still has 1 base link
fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oji4life wrote:

If by "blank" you mean a huge economic advantage, a link, and considerably more flexibility going forward, than ya, I agree with you 100%!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oji4life wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:
I’m firmly convinced a well-made Gabe deck is superior to Andromeda, but is substantially harder to play.

I think I fell in love with you. No really, I was ranting about this last night. Andromeda is blank after the first turn! I really agree with a lot of what you have to say, Gabe requires careful choices with money, clicks, and cards. Indexing is a PRIMO choice for Same Old Thing, and clutch for Gabe's late game.

In testing last night I found NBN to be a rough matchup, because them chaining closed accounts at the wrong times is HARSH for Gabe. Plus sometimes the Astroscript chain just happens and you lose.

You can play around Closed Accounts, just make sure to use your Siphons and other economy cards wisely and spend your money a bit faster than you otherwise would, ideally rigging up. Astroscript is the really rude part of things, but smart play and trashing SanSan and Jackie How whenever possible can minimize that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nords3x4 wrote:
Oji4life wrote:

If by "blank" you mean a huge economic advantage, a link, and considerably more flexibility going forward, than ya, I agree with you 100%!

Aside from the link, none of that is printed on her ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nords3x4 wrote:
Nice deck, and congrats on the win! Totally living on the edge with one breaker each (-faerie). High risk, high reward... Such is Gabe. I am sure parasite helps with this. I can see how if you get this in motion early, it's tough to stop. Do you ever have MU issues? If a corp got to mid-late game with good protection on centrals, it seems like it could start going very bad for you. Did you have to over come this at all in the tourney?

Once they've put some real ICE on archives, I'll usually ditch Sneakdoor once that means making some other attack work. MU fills up fast, but that's a good thing; it's a resource, and you want to be using it to maximum effectiveness.

I never had a game where the corp could defend two, much less three centrals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
You can play around Closed Accounts, just make sure to use your Siphons and other economy cards wisely and spend your money a bit faster than you otherwise would, ideally rigging up. Astroscript is the really rude part of things, but smart play and trashing SanSan and Jackie How whenever possible can minimize that.

Totally agree, but it definitely takes smart play and some situational awareness to know the right time to go trash them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that Gabe is higher risk/reward identity when compared to Andy or more like Gabe does high risk/reward deck better than Andy. Consistency is the thing why many prefer Andy (+ 1 link is also surprisingly good for the most common Weyland/NBN). But I enjoy the Gabe play style much more but wouldn't have courage to bring it to tournament because I would fear a bad shuffle and some randomness crippling me more.

Anyway very happy to see Gabe decks winning tournaments also. Congrats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oji4life wrote:
Quote:

Totally agree, but it definitely takes smart play and some situational awareness to know the right time to go trash them.

Yes, there are no absolutes when piloting this deck, and little room for error. It's one reason I think Andromeda is more popular and wins more on OCTGN; she is easier to play well. Gabe is less forgiving, but also has a higher ceiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oji4life wrote:
Nords3x4 wrote:
Oji4life wrote:

Aside from the link, none of that is printed on her ID.

Of course not, "You draw a starting hand of 9 cards" is plenty. Gabe's ability is awesome, and can be explouted effectively in his own right. Perhaps I am taking your Andy comment out of context, but that fast start plays out for the rest of the game, so it's a little too literal to just say its a "blank after the first turn" without understanding the full implications of that 9 card start.

Anyway, this is about the Gabe deck... I personally love it and would not want to face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aHein wrote:
I agree that Gabe is higher risk/reward identity when compared to Andy or more like Gabe does high risk/reward deck better than Andy. Consistency is the thing why many prefer Andy (+ 1 link is also surprisingly good for the most common Weyland/NBN). But I enjoy the Gabe play style much more but wouldn't have courage to bring it to tournament because I would fear a bad shuffle and some randomness crippling me more.

Anyway very happy to see Gabe decks winning tournaments also. Congrats.

Smart mulligans is really important to your success; it's also really tricky to learn to recognize a good hand from a weak one, and there's no hard mull condition. You could also drop 1 Indexing for 3 QTs, but that's again reducing the performance ceiling in exchange for forgivingness. My advice is just don't make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Fakename
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I don't think Jinteki is at all a problem for Gabe.

you obviously have to slow down and play around the net damage, but Jinteki isn't going anywhere, your economic advantage is never really lost.

Also, the Andy v. Gabe argument is kind of goofy. they do different things.
Andy leverages the runner advantage and her ID to play netrunner. Gabe leverages the runner advantage to be an asshole and be unfair. I personally love the asshole route, and winning games in 8 minutes, but to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RunDMT wrote:
I don't think Jinteki is at all a problem for Gabe.

you obviously have to slow down and play around the net damage, but Jinteki isn't going anywhere, your economic advantage is never really lost.

Only really good Jinteki is a threat; which is granted a bit like your worst matchup being against a unicorn. Middle-of-the-road Jinteki is no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Fakename
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
lawl.

justify dirty laundry for me, I actually hate it, and might be the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RunDMT wrote:
lawl.

justify dirty laundry for me, I actually hate it, and might be the only one.

Right out of the box, it's 1c less than Sure Gamble, but saves you a click if you want to run anyway (you really do), is cheaper, and leads right into Sure Gamble. Credit, credit, Dirty Laundry on Archives, Sure Gamble is an amazing recovery from Closed Accounts, for example. Add on synergy with Desperado and Datasucker and it's insanely good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RunDMT wrote:

Also, the Andy v. Gabe argument is kind of goofy. they do different things.
Andy leverages the runner advantage and her ID to play netrunner. Gabe leverages the runner advantage to be an asshole and be unfair. I personally love the asshole route, and winning games in 8 minutes, but to each their own.

Andy vs Gabe:

Gabe has more top-end, raw power, if things go well. If youre easily hitting that HQ each turn? He is better. If your early accesses hit agendas? He is better.

Andromeda is more consistent and resilient. Her chance of a weak start is far lower. Its harder for the runner to shut her down, because she starts with more strength. While Gabe can be shut down by a strong corp hand of several ice, a Hedge Fund, and no agendas appearing, Andromeda soldiers on and starts R&D locking you.

The Link is a meta factor. If traces are common, its a big deal in favor of Andromeda. If no one plays them, then Gabe is relatively stronger in that meta. I personally find it really helpful, but if you look at the corp breakdowns on my local meta (from plugged in tour), the #1 played corp was NBN, and #2 was Weyland.

You might say that Andromeda is blank (or just has a link), from turn 2 onward. But in reality, she probably has a more developed board position. That starting advantage translate into a stronger early board position, and that still matters as the game progresses.

A lot smaller percentage of Andromeda hands are weak, than Gabe hands. And that matters a lot to me, in trying to win a tournament. If youre a strong player, maybe you dont need to best top-end power to win. Maybe what you need is for your deck to always do 'good', never to fail you, and always give you a chance for your skill to carry you. I think Andromeda does that the best of any runner ID. But certainly, Gabe is great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indexing in Gabe is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabe's chance of a weak hand is extremely low, because, at least with this deck, it is highly modular; thus, there are relatively few combinations that I would categorize as 'weak'. I think the truth of it is like this: Andy can reliably draw the 'nuts' for a starting hand. Gabe does it less often, but his nut draw is more powerful than Andy's. Both are fine runners. My initial comment on it was to illustrate why I chose this ID, and to address the people I've heard time and again say that Gabe is weaker than Andy, or that it is impossible to have a top-tier Gabe deck, or one that would not be improved by running Andy. I believe these sentiments originate from Andy being a lot more forgiving of mistakes, thus people initially find more success with her. I apologize if there was any lack of clarity on my intentions there.

I think the 1 link matters a lot more if you use Ninja over Femme, as a lot of trace sentries are at an awkward strength to break with Ninja, whereas Femme + Datasucker makes many of those rather painless. Gabe's ability to get money off of HQ runs additionally helps to fund the higher initial cost.

The 'losing steam' argument I have felt in previous builds, but with 3x Armitage and 3x Special Order, I think it's a bit of a strawman here. It also is, I think in part, due to bad credit management leading to an avoidable loss of tempo. This plays back into the idea that people found they did worse with Gabe, and assumed it was because Andy was better, not that Gabe has a higher learning curve.

I don't mind this discussion too much, but I do ask things stay at least a little related to the deck itself. I don't want 3 pages of Andy v Gabe debate; I'm more interested in talking about, and helping people understand, the deck itself, and the ID choice is just a small part of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneider
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indexing in anything is awesome, moreso if you're running same old thing. I don't know why more people don't play that over R&D interface, for example. In my experience it usually only takes 2 indexing runs over the course of the game, plus the odd agenda picked up from HQ or a remote, to seal the deal. Plus, opening with it when your opponent doesn't ice R&D is HUGE and has won me more than a few games.

I know the argument has been put forward that Jackson Howard counters it. In a sense that's true, but in practice it's not too hard to play around him and wait for an opportunity when there's no possibility of him being in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
Indexing in Gabe is awesome.

Indexing in just about any deck is pretty awesome, IMO . Not as godlike as it was pre-Jackson, but still a strong, strong card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluff Da Sheep
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why only 2 Desperados? Did you always draw them early?

Did you have any memory issues between Suckers, Parasite, Sneakdoor, and breakers that you basically have to install if you draw them for fear of losing them to net damage permanently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orange Devil
msg tools
I find this deck way too fragile to take to a tournament. You lose that Corroder or that Yog and it can easily all be over. You can play around this ofcourse, ie. always installing these cards when drawn before running, but that is a pretty big economic restraint and then leads to you not being able to run safely until a Faerie or Femme is up to deal with Rototurret, Grim or Archer. All in all, drawing a breaker before you need it can lead to a huge tempo hit or big risks in this deck. I'm not a big fan of Crypsis at all, but even a single copy here would be a pretty decent insurance policy. Alternatively, get 2 of at least Yog and Corroder, or 2 of Corroder and a Peacock or 2.

As for finding room, it is not clear to me, at all, that Forged Activation Orders is a useful card for Gabriel, due to the opponent wanting to rez HQ, R&D and Archives ice already naturally due to Sneakdoor and Gabriel's ability. Additionally Inside Job functions as if a Forged Activation Orders on the remote. That said, combined with Shutdown and Parasite you obviously can try to run an ice denial deck, which may be most fruitful versus Weyland and their Archers, but can fall quite flat against certain NBN and HB builds.

Furthermore, Datasucker and Gabriel are kind of an anti-combo due to the corp wanting to ice up all centrals already anyway. The right way to play vs Gabe is slow and steady building up of centrals ice and doing so succesfully can not only become a major economic problem for Gabe (compounded by relying in large part on cards like Desperado, Dirty Laundry and Account Siphon for economy) but also a matter of just not being able to break Tollbooths. Speaking of that economy, 3x Dirty Laundry but only 2x Desperado in a deck with as many MU requirements going on as this deck seems a little nuts. Of course you want to trash the Sneakdoor eventually so we can discount is, but that still leaves a breaker suite (ideally with both Femme and Faerie up), Parasite and Datasuckers, which can get tight. Given this anti-combo and potential MU issues, generally Gabriel players have run a couple Peacocks over Datasuckers, even when Parasite is run. It's less strong if all goes right, but it's also a lot less fragile. Given the right corp response to Gabriel, Indexing is a good card if the influence can be spared, however, Jackson ought to make everyone seriously question whether Maker's Eye isn't once again better for this deckstyle.

In sum, this deck is a glass cannon, which, as far as glass cannons go is still pretty resilient in skilled hands because well, that's what Gabriel and Criminal cards can do for you. It has the potential to fail spectacularly even when played entirely correctly, however, which is an, in my view, big risk to take. I'm a little surprised at the 3x Plascrete (rather than 2x) given the general balls to the wall approach everywhere else, but given the Tour results so far, it seems like an alright meta choice.

Edit: Lastly, no Infiltration is just going to get so expensive and makes an early Junebug (remember: net damage can snipe that 1-of breaker) really scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |