Subject: Update #7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody's gotta do it... what does everybody think?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-br...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious as to what add-ons will be offered (which by definition don't increase the value of the Mine Cart level) that will be good enough to spend the credit on. At the moment people can get, what, a 3rd copy of the core figures??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope this means we can stop talking about mine cart gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Somebody's gotta do it... what does everybody think?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-br...

I think it is fine. FFP has stated why they can't add more $300 - $450 levels and offered a solution for those who feel slighted.

Now, I fully expect that this update will do nothing to decreases the outrage. As a matter of fact, I believe that having add-ons that will not be part of the Minecart levels is just going to add fuel to some peoples' fires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

probably not. It is a fair thing to talk about.

It is an interesting option and I will need to think about how it will effect my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
esswhy wrote:

I'm pretty sure Monica Lewinsky is to blame.

I think their response was very reasonable. I suspect all or nearly all stretch goals as well as the add ons will be available for purchase with this credit (or by upping your Outlaw pledge) come campaign's end.

I reckon we won't see any add ons that won't be part of the Mine Cart (I don't count the extra heroes, that was a weird add on that felt like they were freakin' out at how quickly the pledge level was rising!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason gave a bunch of examples in his post, and there are already some extra non-cart addons. Basically extra copies of stuff in the game (sell it if you don't use it!). I have a mine cart and have already added some stuff, so it seems like a great compromise to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

These guys are in for the long haul. The rage in the KS comments section is about to blow any minute.

All the while, the pledge levels continue to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it. They are giving credit for the pledge levels above $400 to make up for the difference. Why can't they simply offer more slots for the $400 level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I don't get it. They are giving credit for the pledge levels above $400 to make up for the difference. Why can't they simply offer more slots for the $400 level?

Probably because $75 in add-on 'credit' does not equal $75 in real-world money. An add-on that has a MSRP of $10 does not cost $10 to manufacture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:

As a $475 pledge level with $75 of credit is much more affordable then a $400 pledge level with no credit as additional copies of addons can be produced relatively cheaply.

If they had an unlimited pledge level with no credit it would likely be around the $450 mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, guys, you are probably right. Maybe there isn't an ideal solution for everyone, but it is still weird, because that level is supposed to include everything and they are basically forcing backers to buy duplicates.

In any case, I'm not complaining, as it doesn't affect me. I'm still on the fence and, if I back this, it will likely be at the Outlaw level, which has the best value for money IMO - unless a $325 level opens up and I'm extremely lucky to grab it. I really hate this "early bird" crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they do have a little bit of wiggle room with the add-ons as the Minecart text says "virtually all of the Unique Add-Ons as they Unlock!"

Virtually being the important word, there. They COULD potentially have unique add-ons that are not part of the MC levels... but I can't imagine they would do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tengblad wrote:
... Virtually being the important word, there. They COULD potentially have unique add-ons that are not part of the MC levels... but I can't imagine they would do that.

But they've already done so with the extra Heroes, gender Variants, and blank cards; none of them are included in the mine cart level.

Or am I mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:
tengblad wrote:
... Virtually being the important word, there. They COULD potentially have unique add-ons that are not part of the MC levels... but I can't imagine they would do that.

But they've already done so with the extra Heroes, gender Variants, and blank cards; none of them are included in the mine cart level.

Or am I mistaken?

Hm, I'm not sure about the blank cards, but the extra heroes and gender variants are not unique, as they are stretch goals that all MC backers will receive anyway. By 'unique' I meant things that are not available as anything other than add-ons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's about the best they could do I think. Since you only get 1 of the variant figures, you can buy extras and paint them differently if you think you'll need them, but I'm also expecting more 'no part of the MC' add-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I upgraded to MC as I got tired of figuring out which Add-ons
to get. Now they are having me chose $75 of credit on duplicate stuff

To bad it's not just a credit at FFP Store.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is pretty ridicilous.
They do not want to lose money by giving a discount. So they offer store credits instead. That is a very small loss.
At the same time they have now changed the rules and are able to offer items that are not going to be part of the Mine Cart pledge level.
Now even the Early Birds are going to spend extra on the project.

FFP is increasing their profit by this move and most backers are padding them on the back!
Incredible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Old Dwarf wrote:
To bad it's not just a credit at FFP Store.

THIS.

This would have been a much better solution. If $75 of cardboard and plastic is $75 of cardboard and plastic, let me have some of the other games you make with that credit. Don't make me spend it on extra gate arches and pillars and tentacles and blank cards. Blank cards...really? $75 for blank cards? Come on.

If you put out $75 of unique content that adds to gameplay--i.e., it's not just cosmetic, and it's not something I have to write on with magic marker to make it work--and make that unique content something everyone has to buy, then I'll reconsider. But giving me $75 of duplicate items I'm already getting is useless.

Remember, we're talking about $75. Remember, people, most GAMES are less than $75. Most FULL GAMES are less than $75. You're giving me some cardboard and figures I'm already getting? That's not helpful.

In their defense, I thought the update was very well written. I think the developers have good intentions and explained their situation well. I'm actually ok with their explanation. And they came up with the best solution they could come up with given the situation they're in. But make it FFP store credit. Don't assume I want duplicated items from this kickstarter. Don't assume I'm ok with buying stuff and then trying to sell it right back to someone else and ship it and all just to make my money back. I hate that. It's a waste of my time. Give me the option to buy something that actually is a functional game or expansion and that I'm not already getting. Open it up for FFP store credit. I mean, cardboard and plastic is cardboard and plastic, right? If that's not acceptable, then that means that, like others have said, this $75 in KS credit they're offering is not worth the $75 in real money I'm putting into the KS, and that's not a solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
I think it is pretty ridicilous.
They do not want to lose money by giving a discount. So they offer store credits instead. That is a very small loss.
At the same time they have now changed the rules and are able to offer items that are not going to be part of the Mine Cart pledge level.
Now even the Early Birds are going to spend extra on the project.

FFP is increasing their profit by this move and most backers are padding them on the back!
Incredible!

All gameplay addons will still be included within the mine cart level. The extra credit can be used for purchasing duplicate miniatures, blank cards, more terrain, custom dice, etc. No addons are going to be held back because of the credit.

The early birds get the exact same deal they had before. Later backers can get a few extra packs of dice, terrain, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've floated the idea of adding other FFP games to the add-ons. I think many people, especially now that there's a bunch with extra money credits, would be very happy to see that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I want to be up in arms, but my gut reaction on reading this was, "Well, that seems fair". And, at this point, the people who are paying $475 will now get more than those who got in at the $325 MC. And really, people can turn around and sell / trade some of those add-ons down the road. $400 is still a bit high for a game, even if its the game in its entirety, but this seems to be a decent compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
esswhy wrote:

Not even close, it's a terrible solution. And just shows this company's sleezballness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Russell
msg tools
quadraphonic wrote:
I want to be up in arms, but my gut reaction on reading this was, "Well, that seems fair". And, at this point, the people who are paying $475 will now get more than those who got in at the $325 MC. And really, people can turn around and sell / trade some of those add-ons down the road. $400 is still a bit high for a game, even if its the game in its entirety, but this seems to be a decent compromise.

They'll get more stuff that they're already getting and don't need... are people really this dull that they don't see how lame of a deal this is? Just give people the mine cart for $400 and don't force them to buy $75 in stuff they don't want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hoover
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm not thrilled about the duplicate figures, but would much rather this than unique Add-ons outside of the minecart pledge. Opening up the credit to use in the FFG store is the only solution I would be 100% happy with. Duplicate figures are ok and I'll enjoy them if I must, but please don't sell me something that you originally intended to include in the MC lvl just to use up my credit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.