Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for another counterblow question, I've looked through the rules forum here and haven't found the answer I am looking for.

I have a single Russian unit adjacent to two German units in separate hexes. It is the Russian (phasing) player turn and he has placed a Target Hex marker on one of the adjacent German units. In response to this the German (non-phasing) player places a Counterblow marker on the other German unit. The Russian unit is now adjacent to both one unit with a Target Hex marker and another unit with a Counterblow marker.

Rule 10.3.4 says that "No unit may attack more than once per friendly combat phase", however rule 10.3.1 requires that "all Target Hexes are attacked."

As both voluntary and involuntary attacks are resolved under the same Combat Phase, to satisfy the two markers the Russian unit would have to attack twice which isn't allowed under 10.3.4.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kappa_ap wrote:
As both voluntary and involuntary attacks are resolved under the same Combat Phase, to satisfy the two markers the Russian unit would have to attack twice which isn't allowed under 10.3.4.

Am I missing something?

You're missing that a single attack can attack 2 target hexes.

E.g. see this quite recent thread from a couple days ago on the very same topic (with an admittedly unhelpfully vague subject line):
Combat question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russ. I hadn't seen that thread; vague subject line as you suggest.

Ok. So it is resolved as one Battle, the Russian unit being forced to attack both hexes.

To confirm, the defending German player chooses which hex applies for Terrain Effects purposes i.e. you could ignore the "no beneficial terrain combat modifiers" aspect of the Counterblow hex and use the Terrain in the other Target Hex instead?

Thanks again Russ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kappa_ap wrote:
To confirm, the defending German player chooses which hex applies for Terrain Effects purposes i.e. you could ignore the "no beneficial terrain combat modifiers" aspect of the Counterblow hex and use the Terrain in the other Target Hex instead?

Rule 10.6.1 indeed seems to imply that to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Kappa_ap wrote:

Rule 10.6.1 indeed seems to imply that to me!

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russ and Carl, that's cleaned that up.

Am on turn 4 of the Barbarossa scenario and boy does life get hard for the Germans when the winter settles in. The Germans are at 15 VPs and I'm not sure they'll make 23 VPs, or take Moscow.

I think for the Germans the saying 'make hay while the sun shines' is quite appropriate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.