Popular Tags: [View All]
christopher gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Hi guys! We had terrible connectivity and internet issues the whole week at Essen. But now the show is over and I have had time to get back online.

Essen was a great experience and huge for building the Serpents Tongue community. We were able to get over 100 copies into the hands of reviewers, publishers and distributors. And we have had several serious offers to license the game in Germany Holland France Austria Russia and Poland. Some have promised to confirm yes or no in the next 2 - 4 weeks.

We sold just over 150 sets to those that sought us out in our back corner of this massive trade show after we reached the top ten on the geek buzz. Which will help cover a large portion of the expenses. All pre-orders and backers who visited us were able to pick up their order and many did.

All components were included in this shipment except for the second focus gem ( which we knew about two weeks ago- it was a misunderstanding on the part of China, but we did not hold up the game for it. ) there are many focus chips included as well but I would Like every player to have a real focus gem so we are sorting it out and will make extras available BTW, in your Codex we have included a lot of extra pages, for reference, arg and theme. So there are more pages than pouches: there should be 15 pouches, forming 30 pockets per Codex plus 4 extra pouches just in case.

The walkthrough was only available for these preliminary orders as an online PDF -which is the recommended way to learn the game. The online PDF is also being updated in the next day or so with assembly instructions being added and a revised Act 2.

It was really great to be able to inspect dozens of copies in person with Jere our graphics director rather than the single sample over Skype. Everything turned out 98% good in our opinion.

It was also great to see tthe European gaming community. Wow! Its big and its intense and there were so many great looking games: I particularly was intrigued by Abyss: Perditions Mouth a new game by Kevin Wilson and our Essen sponsor Timo Multamäki. VERY interesting dungeon crawling squad tactics horrror/fantasy game.

Also was intrigued by our neighbors Cosmic Empires board game. They really Nailed the space exploration/fleet development/planetary control genre. Smooth slick and beautiful.

Thanks to everyone who visited us at Essen and voted for us at a BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Essen Report
While I can understand the business aspects of promoting this game at Essen and getting some buzz and reviews to drive future sales, I can't help but feel pretty peeved that 150 copies of this game were sold to people who simply pulled out their money and got a copy with no wait and zero risk. Meanwhile, those of us who paid our money 17 months ago will have to wait several more weeks to get our copies.

We are the ones who paid our money in advance to support a game that we had no guarantee would ever get published and then waited and waited and yet, others get their copy before the people who made this all happen. This is one of the reasons why I increasingly decline to support Kickstarter campaigns anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not bothered that other people got their copy before me. They're still not getting all the amazing extras I'm getting as a Kickstarter Founder, Legacy Speaker. At this point, I am very please with how Serpent's Tongue has developed, and how Christopher and the team at UnBound Games have labored over making this game as great as it can be.

I am a little disappointed that the "Out of Eden" campaign isn't shipping with the main boxes but will come later. However I'm way excited that it's a 200 page adventure, making this game truly worthy of the title "RPG Card Game." If waiting is what has to happen to make "Out of Eden" as cool as it sounds, I'm alright with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osama El Agha
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank u for making that possible und for visiting Essen. U, ur wive and ur team r really amazing
I hope that u could make it again next year in Essen 2014

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Yes please understand that the bulk of all expenses for Essen were locked in since July. We thought backers would have the game by now but power outages, the typhoon in southeast Asia as well as a few mistakes and necessary reprints by the manufacturer pushed the main shipment to about 4 weeks after Essen. This has all been reported heavily on our site. Its unfortunate but its how it turned out. It was not so much 'missing out on a business opportunity' than not wasting the thousands of dollars invested. Im glad we got as much out of Essen as we did.

Yes and at Essen customers paid closer to full retail without any of the pre-order or backer rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
shockmoth wrote:
Yes please understand that the bulk of all expenses for Essen were locked in since July. We thought backers would have the game by now but power outages, the typhoon in southeast Asia as well as a few mistakes and necessary reprints by the manufacturer pushed the main shipment to about 4 weeks after Essen. This has all been reported heavily on our site. Its unfortunate but its how it turned out. It was not so much 'missing out on a business opportunity' than not wasting the thousands of dollars invested. Im glad we got as much out of Essen as we did.

Yes and at Essen customers paid closer to full retail without any of the pre-order or backer rewards.

Thanks for all of your hard work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Baker
United States
CEDAR PARK
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems Mark is unclear about what Kickstarter is for. Everything we "paid money for" has happened: upgraded materials, overhauled game play, the fact that the game even exists. It's not a presale mechanic. We gave money because we liked the idea and wanted to see it flourish. Selling a small amount of copies at a con to create buzz is EXACTLY what we want to happen. Our rewards will be here in due time, wothout having to fly to Europe to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Having watched this since it's inception on KS (and backing it), I'm very appreciative of both the work Chris and his team have put in to make the game better, the community you've built, and the way you've listened to fans and backers the whole way. Not many KS projects do all of that. Some don't do any of that. The delays were for a better product, and if my copy is a little late because everything was made better, that's fine. If someone at Essen bought it first, that's fine too. I got an awesome deal on the KS bundle that they did not. I'll take a brief delay in shipping in exchange for a better deal overall.

Essen is not a trivial thing to miss and it sounds like you have made some great strides to expanding the game to other countries while you were there. Glad you made it to Essen and that the game was so well received! Good luck with the licensing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrachenFir wrote:
Having watched this since it's inception on KS (and backing it), I'm very appreciative of both the work Chris and his team have put in to make the game better, the community you've built, and the way you've listened to fans and backers the whole way. Not many KS projects do all of that. Some don't do any of that. The delays were for a better product, and if my copy is a little late because everything was made better, that's fine. If someone at Essen bought it first, that's fine too. I got an awesome deal on the KS bundle that they did not. I'll take a brief delay in shipping in exchange for a better deal overall.

Essen is not a trivial thing to miss and it sounds like you have made some great strides to expanding the game to other countries while you were there. Glad you made it to Essen and that the game was so well received! Good luck with the licensing!

Thanks for your conciliatory words!

And a big THANK YOU to UnBound Games who enhanced our Essen-experience with Serpent's Tongue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, either was blind or you were well hidden...I heard nothing of this game until post-Essen and would have loved to have a look. looking forward to its widespread release!

EDIT: and my fault for ignoring the Geek Buzz...most of the games on the list seemed absurd to me when everyone I was speaking to was discussing games like Legacy and Steam Park and Lewis and Clark.

shockmoth wrote:
Hi guys! We had terrible connectivity and internet issues the whole week at Essen. But now the show is over and I have had time to get back online.

Essen was a great experience and huge for building the Serpents Tongue community. We were able to get over 100 copies into the hands of reviewers, publishers and distributors. And we have had several serious offers to license the game in Germany Holland France Austria Russia and Poland. Some have promised to confirm yes or no in the next 2 - 4 weeks.

We sold just over 150 sets to those that sought us out in our back corner of this massive trade show after we reached the top ten on the geek buzz. Which will help cover a large portion of the expenses. All pre-orders and backers who visited us were able to pick up their order and many did.

All components were included in this shipment except for the second focus gem ( which we knew about two weeks ago- it was a misunderstanding on the part of China, but we did not hold up the game for it. ) there are many focus chips included as well but I would Like every player to have a real focus gem so we are sorting it out and will make extras available BTW, in your Codex we have included a lot of extra pages, for reference, arg and theme. So there are more pages than pouches: there should be 15 pouches, forming 30 pockets per Codex plus 4 extra pouches just in case.

The walkthrough was only available for these preliminary orders as an online PDF -which is the recommended way to learn the game. The online PDF is also being updated in the next day or so with assembly instructions being added and a revised Act 2.

It was really great to be able to inspect dozens of copies in person with Jere our graphics director rather than the single sample over Skype. Everything turned out 98% good in our opinion.

It was also great to see tthe European gaming community. Wow! Its big and its intense and there were so many great looking games: I particularly was intrigued by Abyss: Perditions Mouth a new game by Kevin Wilson and our Essen sponsor Timo Multamäki. VERY interesting dungeon crawling squad tactics horrror/fantasy game.

Also was intrigued by our neighbors Cosmic Empires board game. They really Nailed the space exploration/fleet development/planetary control genre. Smooth slick and beautiful.

Thanks to everyone who visited us at Essen and voted for us at a BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really... I spoke to you alot Christopher and at no time was I under the impression I could have picked it Up as a backer. I thougts I had to wait.

Hmm I hope it is worth the wait then.

...Troels/Trey

P.s. You should really say yes to a german license. It is a huge market, but not easy to access for foreign language games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.