Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a huge fan of the 6 original movies, I was very disappointing to see Chang's special ability and rank. He was one of the masterminds behind the assassination of the Klingon Chancellor, framed Kirk, and almost started an interstellar war. With his current card, however, he will never be used. So, I fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I've used Chang's ability to great effect in at least one game I've played. I think he's fine.

Your variant just means that no one will ever use an action to disable a crewman, without a lot of premeasuring. Might as phrase it that Chang prevents any other player from disabling a crewman- functionally, it would be the same thing, because no one in their right mind would ever take that action within range of Chang with your version.

Again, I think that Chang is fine.

But then, its your game. Go ahead and change him for your games; bully for you! I'm in the middle of making some stats for ships that don't exist in Attack Wing yet for a demo game I want to put on- I have no expectations that WizKidz would ever use my ideas but it makes me happy.

There are no game police out there- play the game you want to play. I just think that in this case, you might find that your revision doesn't achieve the effect that you're wanting, which is to showcase how 'devious' Chang is. I find that the current version of Chang does that quite well.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Chang needs to be more of a match for Kirk. Chang was one of the significant adversaries to stump Kirk in his career. Then again, Kor (The greatest Klingon in Trek), is a mere generic 1.

I think Chang's printed ability is thematic and works. You're quoting Shakespeare at the captain to disable their ability. If I did anything I would want to make this affecting ability passive somehow, maybe change his text to read "When a target you are attacking defends, change one [Evade] to a [battlestation]. This die cannot be re-rolled." This works like some of the juicy X-Wing upgrades which also cause problems for defenders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm afraid that your card as worded is massively overpowered (or undercosted--for this ability you should be paying at least 10-12 SPs, I'd say).

For instance, just off the top of my head, you could put your version of Chang on a Negh'Var with Advanced Weapon System and Quantum Torpedoes. In exchange for firing these torpedoes at the Enterprise-D through a cloak, you automatically get to disable your enemy's Sulu or Spock. The more gear you would normally disable to do so, the more you do to them. And you get it all for free, and you can do it all over again the next round, as long as you keep an enemy ship in Range 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Kang the way he is, but I can appreciate what you are doing. I really like that players are tweaking the game, to reflect how they want o play locally.

I assume the issue with Kor has come up before. When I played in my first 4-player pod at Gen-Con, I pulled a D7 from the random box, and after I noticed the bridge was wrong on the sculpt, I saw that Kor was a generic 1 captain. One of the designers was present and when I brought up the issue, I was told that while putting the game together there were issues like having a limited number of TOS Klingon images available and the fact that Stanley Adams's estate wouldn't let his image used and "Cyrano Jones" image became a pile of tribbles.

He basically said we would "probably" see and older Kor in a future release. I am looking forward to (hopefully) a Klingon BoP with a fierce but senile Captain Kor, with an awesome ability that can help take out like 5 ships!

Good luck modding the game, I enjoying seeing everyone else's ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
Then again, Kor (The greatest Klingon in Trek), is a mere generic 1.

Kor is not a generic 1. Kor's picture is on a generic 1 captain, yes, but that captain is not named Kor. It's been said there will be a named Captain Kor and that the pictures used for generic captains are just that...generic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, not sure I dislike the current chang, though I wish he could disable at least some elite talents. Cause right now he just takes all their abilities and puts them to skill one, but leaves elite talents.

As for your chang.... the key thing to look at when making a card like this is how easily it can be abused. While I don't see many people use effects like O'brian against me, I can plan out my own misuse of options given to me. So if you want me to play that as written, I'd like to spend one point for out of faction cost to put him with Virak'kara. So now my turn is to disable one of my opponent's crew to take that crew's ability as a free action, and instead of disabling, I disable one of there upgrades again for free. Another one is to put him on the Gor Portas and fire the energy disipator and then dominion photon torpedoes, I don't lose target lock, disable 2 of your upgrades because I'm attacking you, and assuming I hit, can use the energy dampening token effects too.

While I see where you're going, this would be massively unbalanced with the dominion, any of the defiant upgrades, and turns advanced weapons system into attacking while cloaked cripples an enemy fleet. So I'd tone him back a bit, maybe something like specifying only vs enemy fleet card effects or such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hes pretty good as is

He would disable a captain so...

turns to a 0 captain that cant use abilities
looses firing initiative
looses talents
looses card effect

all until reenable which means, also looses an action id say not bad really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
Hes pretty good as is

looses firing initiative
looses talents
looses card effect

Currently the ruling is a disabled Captain doesn't lose Talents, he only loses card effects & skill. Unless that changed very recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
ryolacap wrote:
Hes pretty good as is

looses firing initiative
looses talents
looses card effect

Currently the ruling is a disabled Captain doesn't lose Talents, he only loses card effects & skill. Unless that changed very recently.

Really? Doesn't really make sense but ok... instead of trying to make a whole new skill just rule it disables talents too.

Isn't the talent the captain, just makes no sense...guess cause they are separate cards, still pretty nasty to make a good capt a 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really surprised by the feedback. I didn't think Chang had any fans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:
Really surprised by the feedback. I didn't think Chang had any fans

He's:
a) A klingon
b) Quotes Shakespeare
c) Has an eye-patch like a pirate.
d) Is the only bald Klingon
e) Has a statue in the hall of warriors.

I'd hoped Chang would be a top shelf Klingon commander. He isn't bad, but I was disappointing. I'd have preferred 7 or 8 skill. His ability is situational, but not without merit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.