Subject: How much luck/strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Does this game have much strategy and deduction? How would you weigh the luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:

I don't find an abundance of luck involved, but there is some. As novices, the issue resolves around how well you guess the next general direction the nuns are taking. As Abbess/Prioress, it's in guessing which path is most likely going to lead to a novice. I've had games where I couldn't guess anything right, and others where every move I made was golden - or should I say "blessed".

That said, as a novice, there are definitely things you can do to lower your risks, but at the cost of speed and/or directness to your next stop (be it the special gift or your room). You have to decide such issues on every turn.

As Abbess/Prioress, you need to maximize your views, so as to have a better shot at finding the misbehaving novices. That means choosing the correct paths, and when appropriate, playing the right blessing card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
For some reason this game makes me think of a purchase I made recently - Survive, Escape from Atlantis (which I realize it totally different) but in Survive I feel like I have no control and it is just kind of frantic and a lot of luck.

I have Scotland Yard (but haven't played for years) I used to enjoy it but it became predictable.

I tried Letters from Whitechapel but it was too hard and too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dean_1230 wrote:
shore_pk wrote:

I don't find an abundance of luck involved, but there is some. As novices, the issue resolves around how well you guess the next general direction the nuns are taking. As Abbess/Prioress, it's in guessing which path is most likely going to lead to a novice. I've had games where I couldn't guess anything right, and others where every move I made was golden - or should I say "blessed".

That said, as a novice, there are definitely things you can do to lower your risks, but at the cost of speed and/or directness to your next stop (be it the special gift or your room). You have to decide such issues on every turn.

As Abbess/Prioress, you need to maximize your views, so as to have a better shot at finding the misbehaving novices. That means choosing the correct paths, and when appropriate, playing the right blessing card.

I totally agree.
This game is about reading the mind of your opponents and using any clue you get.

Example: When a guard detects a novice close to the blue keys at the beginning of the game, you know that she probably needs to go towards the garden gate.
On the other hand, novices should try to remain at a safe distance of the guards. Moving closer is mostly looking for problems. Nevertheless, many players want to push their luck and become reckless.

Luck is certainly involved and this gives the most fun in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I don't like luck games normally but this game is something of a favorite because the amount of luck for a novice is 90% of your own choosing. (And 10% of the guards capitalizing on your fellow novices' blunders.) And the guards should not need too much luck to succeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.