Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will not constant interruption, but in particular movement interruptions.

Especially with newer players, does anyone else find it cumbersome with cards and abilities that interrupt a player?

pit traps, tripwire, guard skill, etc.

Having removed or changed movement based reactions I found made it enjoyable for both me and the players as we got a flow going.

Has anyone else tried altering or removing the movement base 'reactions'? If so, how did it go for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deprives the overlord and heroes of a lot of useful tools, I think. Being able to muck up the other side's plans is super important in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's something that bothers the group as a whole, make a gentleman's agreement.

If the overlord agrees to it, then have him remove both Tripwires and Pit Trap from his deck after he has purchased three other cards (probably not from the Saboteur deck).

Then, have the heroes agree not to purchase:
Counter Attack
Guard
Stalwart
Caltrops
First Strike
No Mercy
Basically the entire Stalker class
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one

I thought about renaming them to where the card says it can be used after a player moves, so you could at least still use said skills. Of course modifying the cards in other ways if they prove too useful or useless.

Simplifying to: "I finished moving, doing anything?"

Instead of:
"I'm going to start moving, doing anything?"
"I moved a space, doing anything?"
"I'm finished moving, doing anything?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
kerred wrote:

Instead of:
"I'm going to start moving, doing anything?"
"I'm finished moving, doing anything?"

We just go about our turns unless the opposing player interrupts. We don't pause after every space moved, but we do recognize a reasonable window for "rewinding" if the hero moved three spaces past where the OL wanted to stop him. It's not a big deal for us, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As overlord I just keep an eye on the moving hero and say "hold it" when I want to play something and point to the space that's affected. Never been a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah +1 for "this is never a problem in tabletop."

This really is only an issue in PBF games. Even real-time vassal games have zero problems, from my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in a PBF game I ran it wasn't really an issue. Players had to announce which spaces they were moving through, then give me a window to respond before acting again. If they overshot a space I played a trap on, we walked it back to there. A bit cumbersome but entirely workable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see this as a problem +1 for the 3 posts before me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:
Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one

Oh yeah, I don't agree with you, but I figure if modifying the game so that you and your group enjoys it better is possible, then I could try to help. I'm with these other guys; in a face-to-face game, movement happens so quickly and it's easy enough for a player to say "Hold it!" that it's not even close to the rate-limiting step of play (that is pre-hero turn discussion for us).

If you wanted to make a house rule so that you're just not stopping every space, I'd say just play as if no interrupts could happen, and give the possible interrupter until the first dice roll to stop you and rewind it. Players, of course, shouldn't abuse it by starting their turns, moving four spaces, declaring an attack, and throwing down the dice before the opponents have time to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.