Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
todd mewborn
United States
toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking to order the 2 Player Starter Box. What else should I start with?
*Do I need the full rules? Not sure if the Starter in a mini sized full rule book.
*Do I need the "army" books? (Not sure they are even called that)
*What would be some good units to add the Starter Box to get started? Not looking to be in any competitions, just to have a good time.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter box is all you need to get started, it has the rules and 2 balanced Armies. The army books as you call them are not needed. Stick with the contents of the box for now and enjoy.

Later on you can expand the 2 armies.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Keith said...

Play with the starter set, get a feel for the miniatures and the rules and then go from there, either adding to what you've got or go with a new faction and add the stuff that appeals to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to what others have said. Register on the Privateer Press forums and check out some of the rules and army forums there. You will probably have some questions after your first game and the users there are very helpful, not as good as BGG, but helpful nonetheless. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others. The Privateer Press forums have sections devoted to each faction and they all have lots of excellent articles and advice for getting started with your factions.

However... if you are looking for a few things right away say to get free shipping with your order:

Both units that come in the box are considered a bit subpar until you add their Unit Attachment (The Warpborn Alpha and Warspear Cheiftan) to give them some extra special abilities.

If you'd like some basic support troops to make your beasts better and help your guys do what they do best you'll want the Blighted Nyss Shepherd (Legion) and the Shifting Stones perhaps with a Stone Seer (Circle).

Lastly... if you want to go way too far too fast you can pick up a basic heavy warbeast kit for each faction. Circle's lets you put together one of the very best heavy beasts in the game in the Warpwolf Stalker while Legion's lets you make either the excellent Scythean for close combat or the very good Ravagore if you'd rather have more shooting available... or you can look up a tutorial on magnetizing you models so you can get both...

Good luck with Hordes and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd mewborn
United States
toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How was the starting box, did you enjoy it? I got mine yesterday. Can´t wait to start painting and play

Where did you go from the starter box, did you buy the army books?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.