34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Flash Garde - A revolutionary and original combat game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clark Kingston
msg tools

I just had an unbelievable dueling game design come to me recently, and its unlike anything you've seen before! I wont bore you with all the specific rules of the game quite yet but you start with a deck of 25 cards (5 1s, 5 2s, 5 3s, 5 4s, 5 5s) and draw 5 cards. You also choose a character to represent your dueler who has a few unique ability cards that you can use as a one time effect in addition to the numbered cards. Each turn, with the simple numbered cards in your hand, you can do these six things:

a) Move. Play any card from your hand to move your character that many spaces forward or backward. If you would move on or past the opponent, instead move up to him, then stop in the adjacent space.

b) Throw. You can only throw if you're adjacent to the opponent. Play a card to throw the opponent back the number of spaces on the card and that opponent must discard a card one number higher than the card used to throw. If they do not have that card then nothing is discarded. For example, if you throw with a 4, the opponent moves back 4 spaces and discards a 5,you stay in place, and the opponent will end up 5 spaces away from you.

c) Attack. To attack, play a card from your hand whose number is the exact number of spaces to the opponent. For example, if he is 5 spaces away and you want to attack, you can only attack with a 5. You can strengthen your attack by playing more cards of that number. If you are 5 spaces away, you could attack with two or more 5s for a more powerful attack.

d) Dashing Strike. To dashing strike, first play a card to dash toward the opponent, then immediately play another card as your strike. The strike must be the same number as the distance to the opponent after the dash. You can strengthen your strike by playing more cards of the same number. For example, if the opponent is 8 spaces away, you could dash with a 3 then play a pair of 5s as the strike.

e) Ranged Attack. For a ranged attack, your opponent must be directly across from you on the board. Play cards from your hand which add up to 9. You can strengthen your ranged attack by playing more cards that add up to that sum. You could attack with a 4 and 5 (weakest ranged attack) up to four 1s and a 5 (strongest ranged attack). Opponents cannot retreat from a ranged attack.

To dodge, opponents will need to match or exceed the number of cards played to make the 9.

f) Running Shot. For a running shot, first play a card to move yourself (forward or backward) directly across from your opponent, then immediately play cards adding up to 9 as your shot. You can strengthen your shot by playing more cards that add up to that sum. For example, if the opponent is 6 spaces away, you could move backward with a 3 (aligning yourself across from them) then play a pair of 2s and a 5 as the shot. Opponents cannot retreat from a running shot.

To dodge, opponents will need to match or exceed the number of cards played to make the 9.

The board is circular aka arena! Instead of a "boring" straight board like some games out there this baby is round and avoids previous limitations on retreating!

Additionally, venue cards (or encounter cards in the adventure mode) can be placed in the center. The pips align with a space on the board and activate special effects when the conditions are met. This opens up an endless amount of combinations and effects to change the dueling arena. Players can decide to change locations between each round or each game!

For adventure mode, the number in the red indicates how many turns the players have to defeat the encounter before losing. The "Defeat" condition tells the players what (and how many) attacks or actions need to be executed to defeat the encounter.

Ok, I will admit that I drew inspiration from War but that is it. Give me some feedback on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
How very droll, and you thumbed yourself as well. Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the concept seems kind of neat. Kudos to you and your thumbing yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
radchad wrote:
Actually, the concept seems kind of neat. Kudos to you and your thumbing yourself.

Thanks man, I tried to tip myself GG as well because the idea is that good and original but BGG doesn't allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Iman S
msg tools
Nice idea
Looks like an updated version of Flash Duel and En Garde, with some terrain effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
uankaink wrote:
Nice idea
Looks like an updated version of Flash Duel and En Garde, with some terrain effect.

Just googled those games. I can maybe see some minute similarities between them and my idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Iman S
msg tools
maybe you could add some other mechanic to help differentiate your game. like progressive skill or some resource system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
uankaink wrote:
maybe you could add some other mechanic to help differentiate your game. like progressive skill or some resource system.

Its got ranged attacks and a circular board baby! That's more progressive than a goatee. But I like where you are heading with your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
qiagen wrote:
How about a game based on the X-Wing miniatures game, but set during the first world war? We could call it, 'X-wings of Star Wars'. whistle

Nice try but that is a blatant ripoff! You disgust me, if there was a thumbs down option I would use it on your post, twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
Another example of an adventure mode encounter:

Pfft, who needs attacks when you can just throw them into the lava! Btw, adventure mode would be playable solo (without bots).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
New action:

g) Steal. To steal, first play a card from your hand to quietly move adjacent to the opponent, then immediately play another card from your hand as your steal attempt. The opponent must give you all cards from their hand that match your steal attempt. If they don't have any, you are caught and your turn ends. If they do, you take their cards and then may play another card to slip away and move backward (or play no card and stay in place). Recent stolen cards do not count toward your hand size when drawing back up to 5 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may end up being even better than Recon Strategy...

EDIT: Just trying to be funny. I'm not meaning to tank your game idea or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
bird94us wrote:
This may end up being even better than Recon Strategy...

EDIT: Just trying to be funny. I'm not meaning to tank your game idea or anything like that.

All good, nothing can harm this original behemoth of an idea now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly just curious what the overall purpose of the post is. I'm fully aware of the background of the joke as I like both games for different reasons. The system in En Garde is clever, and I think Knizia could have taken it further than he did. Sirlin did that, but I don't think he took it far enough. I like some of the ideas you pushed out as they are taking Flash Duel even further. So since no one else really took the bait, do you mind sharing your goal here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
laugh it up fuzzball!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar mechanic (no one knows about yet) with more complexity. I don't use it for combat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glibness aside, I think there is legitimately something interesting here.

However, your overview doesn't cover how you win. I assume it's a single hit like En Garde and Flash Duel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
your overview doesn't cover how you win

That's going to be a stretch goal on the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I guess it's poking at Flash Duel, but I really like this one, there's a neat idea there, so I don't know if this really is a sarcasm or not...confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxArt wrote:
there's a neat idea there, so I don't know if this really is a sarcasm or not...confused.

Why can't it be both? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the name 'Flash Garde' sounds preposterous. I would go with something like 'En Duel'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyWookiee wrote:

That name is waaaaaay too derivative. I'd go with Guard Flash if I were you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pledge the Kickstarter if you name it Wright Garde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Maybe there should be a Game mashup contest with submissions being actual games instead of just amusing names and synopses (like the one last year was).

This could be a contender...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.