Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have had a forehead slap moment with Hanabi.

I had played with my group that the rainbow cards are wild and can be substituted for any of the other suits in a run.

I finally got a copy of a decent translation of the rules. Am I right in thinking that the Rainbow cards are in fact a sixth suit to make the game harder?

Am I allowed to call the cards 'rainbow cards' when giving out information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iirc there are a few variants.
If you use them as wildcards, you identify them as the other 5. For example: the hand is 2 red,1 green & 1 rainbow. You would say 3 red or 2 green and identify the rainbow along with the other color.
If you use them as a 6th suit, then you identify them as rainbow. Using the previous example, you would say 2 red, 1 green or 1 rainbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The rainbow cards are never used as wildcards in the official rules. They are always played to the table as an additional suit, but there are two different variables that can be adjusted for even more challenge:

------------------------

First variable: How many are included?

Include all 10 rainbow cards in the deck
OR
include only 5 of them (one of each number)

------------------------

Second variable: How are they described in clues?

Refer to rainbow cards as "rainbow" in clues
OR
refer to them as every color and never rainbow (for example, if you give a clue about red cards, you must point out all red and rainbow cards as if they're the same)

------------------------

I enjoy the added challenge of using just 5 of the rainbow cards in the deck, but I prefer to refer to them as "rainbow." Treating rainbow cards as every color in clues makes it very hard to remember things that you know without keeping track somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the German rules and I'm far from fluent, but I understood that you can't call "rainbow". Instead you have to include it in a colour count. (So 2 blue + 1 rainbow would actually be called 3 blue.) This will add significant difficulty I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Wulf684 wrote:
I've got the German rules and I'm far from fluent, but I understood that you can't call "rainbow". Instead you have to include it in a colour count. (So 2 blue + 1 rainbow would actually be called 3 blue.) This will add significant difficulty I think.

Yes, that's one of the things I mentioned, but it's not the only way to play (according to the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.