Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ever feel bad for getting *too* good a deal on a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought a complete set of a famous out of print game from someone on the web. It came in absolutely beautiful shape. The guy wasn't really playing it anymore, and needed the money, so he was willing to sell it. He asked me for a price, and I told him what I was willing to pay. That price was based on what I had seen the set going for on eBay, minus a minor discount to factor for the lack of auction fee and the general inflation I believe exists on eBay due to shill bidding, etc., to the very limited extent that I had been able to find a set up there (only up on relatively rare occassions). In the end, I set a price that I thought was fair at the time based on a very limited volume of eBay auctions, and he agreed.

Now I've looked on eBay about a month after the fact and the thing on two separate occassions literally went for more than double what I paid. I liked this guy, and am considering just writing to him out of the blue to give him some more money. Anyone else ever have a situation like this? I'm torn between the obvious desire not to shell out more money (the people on eBay can pay double the price - I would never have agreed to pay that much) and feeling guilty at underpaying a guy that pretty much trusted me to set a fair price (which I thought I did at the time, as it was the price I was willing to pay, I was stretching even to get there).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. What was the game and how much did you pay?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Depends. What was the game and how much did you pay?



I refuse to answer this question and assert my 5th Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just send him the money. Don't ask.

It sounds like he definitely needs the money, and if you can spare him a few bucks, send it to him.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Just send him the money. Don't ask.

It sounds like he definitely needs the money, and if you can spare him a few bucks, send it to him.


The problem is that it is not a few bucks. It is more like a few hundred bucks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like your instinct to "do the right thing" is well placed, so...do the right thing. If you can, send him a surprise check and a note.

Keep in mind, the seller has ALSO no doubt seen a more accurate price on eBay since your purchase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel bad???

I bought 3 copies of Doom for $1 each.

Let me go and cry myself to sleep...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a moral dilemna and morals generally, have a very limited effect during the exchange of goods and currency. You must be an exception.

Anyway, the thread title asks if I have "ever feel bad for getting *too* good a deal on a game".

The best deal I got was Broadsides and Boarding parties for $2.50 at a St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop. And no I didn't feel bad, I was frankly both giddy and exited.

If you had found the game at a thrift store with $2.50 on the price tag, would you still feel bad?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The problem is that it is not a few bucks. It is more like a few hundred bucks.


Well, it's of course easier said than done, but do the ethics change with the amount involved? Don't try to make up the difference. But the gesture itself, with another word of thanks, will be appreciated. After all, it's not YOUR fault it was sold far below it's potential. You could just as easily walk away laughing, but it's already clear that would bother you (just as it would bother me as well). But if roles were reversed and YOU were the seller, what would YOU like to see happen? I don't think you'd expect the seller to make the difference, but another guesture and note of thanks would probably go a long way--especially since they were not required.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
waderam wrote:
Seems like your instinct to "do the right thing" is well placed, so...do the right thing. If you can, send him a surprise check and a note.

Keep in mind, the seller has ALSO no doubt seen a more accurate price on eBay since your purchase.


Well, that's not the whole story though, is it? I did find the product a couple of times for much closer to "my price" (as in off by about $5). It wasn't a story about giving him a price based on eBay, it was true. I'm just afraid that price may have been an anomaly, and that I somehow ripped the guy off. It's not like it has been years such that I could say to myself, "The thing just shot up over time." It's only been about a month or so. I also liked the guy, and believe that he was having some legitimate money troubles family-wise (he didn't sound like he was in danger of being kicked into the street, just that times were a bit tight).

Bear in mind also that I never would have paid the "current" price. I'm not a collector, and decidedly not in the camp that will pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for one game when there are plenty of good ones I can buy for $30-50 that are still in print.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Feel bad???

I bought 3 copies of Doom for $1 each.

...


Couldn't pay me $1 to take them. Shoot couldn't pay me $1 to play it.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have not felt bad for buying a game at a good price, which I have done (at stores and ebay).

One thing you need to also consider is that he agreed to the price and it SEEMED fair to him.

Yes, he had no idea of the actual value, but the value to him (which you did pay him) was good. He got the money needed and you got the games. Both parties agreed to the terms and fulfilled them. Sounds like both got what they wanted and thus a FAIR DEAL.

With that said, if you feel that bad just send him the money!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
I personally have not felt bad for buying a game at a good price, which I have done (at stores and ebay).

One thing you need to also consider is that he agreed to the price and it SEEMED fair to him.

Yes, he had no idea of the actual value, but the value to him (which you did pay him) was good. He got the money needed and you got the games. Both parties agreed to the terms and fulfilled them. Sounds like both got what they wanted and thus a FAIR DEAL.

With that said, if you feel that bad just send him the money!


I do feel bad, but I feel bad about stupid things sometimes (and sometimes people feel perfectly fine about doing things that I think are morally atrocious).

So part of the question is whether I have any real reason to feel bad (which I think you have answered in part from your vantage point).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Feel bad???

I bought 3 copies of Doom for $1 each.

...


Couldn't pay me $1 to take them. Shoot couldn't pay me $1 to play it.



My 6 year old (7 on Monday) and I play it 2-4 nights a week. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
ronster0 wrote:
I personally have not felt bad for buying a game at a good price, which I have done (at stores and ebay).

One thing you need to also consider is that he agreed to the price and it SEEMED fair to him.

Yes, he had no idea of the actual value, but the value to him (which you did pay him) was good. He got the money needed and you got the games. Both parties agreed to the terms and fulfilled them. Sounds like both got what they wanted and thus a FAIR DEAL.

With that said, if you feel that bad just send him the money!


I do feel bad, but I feel bad about stupid things sometimes (and sometimes people feel perfectly fine about doing things that I think are morally atrocious).

So part of the question is whether I have any real reason to feel bad (which I think you have answered in part from your vantage point).


I don't have a lot of money and trade and look for games on sale.
But I do belive a good gestures comes back 10X. If he is the kind of person that will genuenly be thankful, then you have made the world a better place if you say "hey, these are worth so much more, here is what is right."

IMHO
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
Now I've looked on eBay about a month after the fact and the thing on two separate occassions literally went for more than double what I paid.


Give it another month. ebay prices fluctuate like crazy, and I bet you this will be back down to your level before long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have absolutely no reason to feel bad. It takes two sides to make a deal.

(The fact that you did research to come up with a number that you thought was fair should allay your conscience. It's not as if you had set out to trick anybody.)

But, if you feel bad anyway, you could consider selling it back to him for the price you paid (plus double shipping - ie you should not have to spend one dime of your own) and allow him to put it up on eBay.

If you think about it, you'll see that offering more money or selling the game back to him puts the original seller in a moral dilemma, too. If I were the one who sold it to you, I'd just shrug and say congrats on getting a good deal.

Edit - Of course, not being in a financial crisis myself makes it much easier for me to say that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gibson
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I swapped my copy of the new Monsters Menance America with another Geek for his copy of Mississippi Queen. When I told a friend of mine about the trade he said I had "robbed" the guy. I think MMA is a terrible game and I felt kind of bad for about 20 seconds.

Marc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Avatar
mb
I have, in fact, felt bad about getting too good a deal on something. I sent some extra cash and have not looked back. It sounds to me like you should do the same. I don't know if I'd send him all the difference, but I'd probably send some of it (maybe half). In the end, it sounds like you're worried that you ripped him off. If you can afford it, sending some extra money will probably make you both feel better about the whole thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason you're asking is because you know what the answer is, but you don't like the answer. So you're looking for someone to let you off the hook.

I suggest you do whatever it is that's gonna ease the quease in your gut.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Yoder
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a big difference between:

"Okay, tell me what you think is fair"
"How about X$?"
"I'll take it"

And

"Okay, tell me how much you're willing to pay"
"How about X$"
"I'll take it"

In scenario A, you've made an inadvertant mistake and should try to correct it. In scenario B, you gave an honest answer. It's not clear from your posts which is closer to the truth.

That being said, I agree with Ron. Sending money, whether or not you have a moral obligation to do so, cannot be a "bad" thing, right? It can only be good. Which is better, actively trying to be a good person, or simply trying to avoid being a bad person?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
The reason you're asking is because you know what the answer is, but you don't like the answer. So you're looking for someone to let you off the hook.

I suggest you do whatever it is that's gonna ease the quease in your gut.

Chris


Your assumption is incorrect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sense, you are serving as a pawn shop of one, in this scenario. You could always offer to sell the game back to him for what you paid, and he could re-offer it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, for those suggesting sending part of the difference, isn't their some fear that would look odd or exacerbate the situation in its own right? I genuinely appreciate the advice. It could just seem strange to me to say, "Hey, here's $X, I felt bad because I thought I gave you a genuinely good price but it turns out it might have been worth more," and then have the guy say, "It's worth more, so you decided to give me X% of the difference?"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb
Geosphere wrote:
Feel bad???

I bought 3 copies of Doom for $1 each.

Let me go and cry myself to sleep...



So you can't tell the differnce in phenomenological experience of buying games from a chain-store for the price they set and unintentionally undercutting a fellow human being in need?

-MMM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.