Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Background

A remote Salemite-controlled building known as The the Vault houses the U.S. Constitution, an ancient relic from before the nuclear apocalypse that wreaked havoc on the surface of the Earth. Jessica Hollister, in charge of the protection of the artefact, sends most of her troops from the installation to defend against an attack in a nearby Salemite village. Only the tech-savvy Jeff Dealer remains with her at the Vault when a NORAD attack squad arrives.

The NORAD squad consists of leader Col. Nick Bolter, the speedy Lt. Vasquez, and infiltrator James Woo. If NORAD can break into the Secret Safe Room at the center of the Vault, retrieve the U.S. Constitution, and escape out the east of the map, they will be victorious. If the Salemites manage to renimate three corpses into zombies, they will succeed in driving away the NORAD attack and win the day. In order to refill the syringe each time, though, they have to refill it at the Chemistry Lab on the west side of the complex.

The Game

Jessica Hollister, in her Salemite command post inside the Vault, realizes that the NORAD's attack on the Salemite village was a diversion. She curses, and quickly devises a new strategy. She may not have a defensive force at the ready, but she can create one from the bodies in the morgue and zombie lab. She orders Jeff Deeler to use all the zombie serum available as quickly as possible.

Nick Bolter wastes no time. He circles from the NORAD's north-east starting position down to the south side of the complex where the only door stands. Meanwhile, James Woo approaches the north-east wall.

Realizing that the southern door is her weakest defensive point, Jessica quickly sprints south through the facility's rooms, hoping that the front door will hold off the attacking forces for at least a few minutes. Bolter braces his powerful heavy machine gun against his shoulder and begins firing at the door, destroying the wooden frame, its steel braces, and Jessica's hopes in one fully automatic burst.

Meanwhile, Jeff Deeler carefully attempts to apply the zombie serum to a corpse in the zombie lab, but manages to accidentally strike bone instead of the vein he was aiming for. Panicking, he quickly attempts a second, more reckless stab at the lifeless body. Relief washes over him as the corpse opens its eyes and emits a single word – Braaaains! Zombie number one is animated.

Separated only by an empty doorway and a few feet, the two leaders, Jessica and Bolter, are both caught off-guard to see each other as the door shatters to pieces. Bolter reacts first, firing a quicker burst at Jessica that depletes the remaining ammo loaded in the weapon. She hits the deck, but a bullet still glances off her arm. NORAD achieves first blood.

Jessica wasn't just on the ground to avoid the attack, however. With a cruel smile, she backs up from the mine now lain in the doorway. As the mine's red “armed” light turns on, she blows a kiss to Nick Bolter, and retreats to the hallway a bit further inside the complex. She elects to leave the door to the building's entrance room open to allow easy access should she have to return. Momentarily frustrated, Bolter reloads his gun and considers his options.

James Woo hears the sounds of battle far to the south, but focuses on his task at hand. He stands up, looking down at the time bomb he has carefully placed, and watches as the timer ticks down from two minutes to one. Behind him, the voluptuous Vasquez zips (bounces?) by, quickly reaching the north-west wall of the Vault. She places her plastic explosive charge outside of the chemistry lab, where she knows the zombie serum is stored. The three-pronged NORAD attack is in full force.

Turning on his zombie control device, Jeff Deeler sends the newly-raised undead creature shambling south to cut off one route to the secret safe room. Certain that two zombies are better than one, he begins to sprint back through the facility to the chemistry lab to refill his syringe. Knowing the layout of the complex, he computes that the southern hallway will take him to the lab faster than the northern path (too many damned locked doors to open if he ran by the safe room). As he hears the *click-clack* of a machine gun being reloaded to his left, he realizes the error in his calculations. The open double doorway in the southern hallway provides Nick Bolter direct line of sight to the sprinting Deeler, empty syringe in hand. The building's rooms are once again filled with the staccato of heavy machine gun fire. Bullets whizz by the sprinting Deeler; bits of wood and plaster fly into the air around him and pepper his body. He emerges near the infirmary in the western side of the complex, and quickly checks himself, finding not even a scratch. Thanking his luck, he presses on to the chemistry lab.

Jessica, vowing to always close doors during future NORAD attacks, decides to set up her last mine near the center of the facility. It's set up in front of the door that provides eastern access to the secret safe room. She then retreats to the command post to prepare for whatever NORAD attack will come next. Nick Bolter decides that avoiding the mine in the doorway in front of him, if possible, is the best course of action. He pauses, waiting to find out how his team's other plans make out.

Vasquez and James Woo back up from their respective explosive devices, waiting for the counters to hit zero. What happens next will determine where they attack. If both the plastic explosives and time bomb do their job, they could press into the facility on two sides. If just one device succeeds, they will have one path into the facility devoid of mines. The air is thick as both NORAD and Salemite forces tense in anticipation. The timers on both devices finally hit zero.

The sounds of the explosions rip through the tension. The entire building shakes, sending dust into the air. Jessica loses her footing as the command post is only meters away from the destructive time bomb, however...

All of the walls still stand.

Swearing, both Vasquez and Woo realize that only one viable option remains. Woo sprints around the east side of the mansion while Vasquez darts around the west. Both soldiers close in on the southern door where Nick Bolter grits his teeth for what he knows must come next. He could order Vasquez to do it, given that she is the only one of the three wearing the advanced kevlar armor. He knows that she would comply without hesitation too. However, he is the leader of this operation, and it is his responsibility that they get into the Vault. He steps forward onto the mine.

The eruption deafens his ears and blinding light fills his eyes. Shrapnel tears through his armour, but he is alive and well on the other side and has set the first NORAD step into the complex. Pressing on, he reaches the hallway where he sees a zombie to the left and Jessica Hollister to the right. He opens fire on the zombie, landing several damaging shots, then retreats back to the doorway he came from. The way is clear for his team.

Jessica sees the NORAD leader begin his retreat and smells blood. Brandishing her titanium claws, she follows right behind him. At the same doorway they first saw each other, in the exact same places, she now stabs forward aiming for his neck. At the last possible instant Nick deflects the blow, taking it on his arm instead. Feeling weak due to lost blood, he drops his inactive mines, breaking them on the cement floor.

Jeff Dealer, meanwhile, reaches the chemistry lab and attempts to refill the syringe. As he carefully inserts the syringe into the container of zombie serum, the sound of the exploding mine causes his hand to jerk. The syringe flies across the table. Sweating profusely, he retrieves it and successfully refills it. What else could possibly go wrong, he wonders.

The swift Vasquez is next to reach the southern door. Seeing her injured commander streaked with blood, she pulls out her shot of morphine and attempts to administer it to him. She is exhausted from her sprint, and the attempt is reckless, but it succeeds! Bolter is instantly invigorated and refreshed. He once again brings his heavy machine gun to bear, takes careful aim and fires fully automatic point blank at Jessica Hollister. Her eyes go wide as bullet after bullet strikes her torso. With a blood curdling scream she collapses to the ground, dead.

Desperate, and realizing that his options are limited, Jeff Deeler sprints to the front door. He stops just short of Jessica's body, and looks into the face of the man who just killed her. Vasquez, believing that Jeff is after the late Jessica's titanium claws, darts into the room ahead of him, scoops up what she can from the body, and circles around Deeler with great speed. The buxom commando snaps a revolver shot on the fly that grazes Jeff Deeler's hip. He, however, has other plans for the body.

Deeler raises his syringe of zombie serum high in the air and stabs it squarely into the chest of the corpse in front of him. The body rises, and once again Nick Bolter finds himself facing the cruel smile of Jessica Hollister. Zombie number two is animated.

The newly raised Jessica / Zombie 2 grabs the knife from Deeler's belt, and steps up behind Vasquez stabbing twice. The first stab cuts across her forearm, while the second deflects harmlessly off her thick kevlar armour. Realizing that she could quickly become surrounded by the Salemite zombies, Vasquez takes the long route through the morgue, storage room, and infirmary to arrive beside the secret safe room. Discovering that she had also grabbed a magnetic keycard off of the body of Jessica Hollister, she opens the two locked and reinforced doors protecting the vault, and finds herself in front of the box containing the U.S. Constitution.

Time is running out for both sides. Jeff Deeler abandons the southern entrance hall and runs back to the chemistry lab. On the way, he sees Vasquez swiping for access to the secret safe room, and picks up speed.

Gasping for air, James Woo finally arrives at the southern door. Seeing the blood-soaked entrance-way, the undead Jessica Hollister, and the healthy Nick Bolter, Woo takes up a defensive position in the morgue. Woo leans against a table and tries desperately to catch his breath.

Nick Bolter advances into the southern hallway and fires a volley of bullets at Zombie 1, who is still standing in the hallway. The zombie holds its position, keeping Salemite control of the fastest route from the chemistry lab to the Morgue's cadavers. Seeing the possibility of victory slipping from his grasp, Bolter orders Vasquez to ignore the U.S. Constitution, and instead cut off Deeler's fast route back to the dead bodies. Reluctantly, Vasquez exists the secret safe room, and approaches Zombie 1 from behind. Donning the titanium claws, she lunges at the undead creature, driving them deep into its back. As she rends upward, the zombie splits in several places, and falls to the ground unmoving. NORAD has control of the fastest route back to the morgue, as well as the only un-mined path to the zombie lab's cadavers.

Jessica / Zombie 2 advances on Bolter, knife at the ready. Seeing a potential weak point, she slashes decisively at Nick's side and succeeds at drawing blood; however, the NORAD leader still stands tall. The morphine in his veins has made him stronger than ever. He retaliates with two bursts from his heavy machine gun at the zombie and all the bullets hit their mark. The undead former Salemite leader is crippled, but still craving Nick's brains. Bolter decides to take a tactical position closer to the zombie lab in case the elusive Jeff Deeler is desperate and lucky enough to survive the mined northern path.

Deeler refills the syringe, and exits the chemistry lab in time to see the decimation of his first zombie creation and the near destruction of his second. Hopelessness fills him with dread. Fatigued, he sprints the long route through the infirmary and storage room to arrive at the morgue. Realizing what is coming next, the exausted final living member of the Salemite squad turns his back to the now-refreshed Woo and faces the cadaver.

James Woo draws his colt M7 and fires at Jeff Deeler. The first bullet rips through the mechanic's shoulder, spraying blood against the wall. The second bullet ricochets harmlessly off Deeler's armour. Realizing that this is his last chance, Woo takes careful aim and fires at the injured mechanic. The bullet drives deep into Deeler's back, forcing him forward against the table. Jeff coughs up blood onto the cadaver, and manages to muster the energy to raise his arm one last time. Dizzy from the loss of blood, he attempts one last reckless stab with the syringe full of zombie serum. Hoping desperately that he has hit any vein at all, he injects the liquid into the body.

The zombie's muscles contract, and the creature opens its eyes. With a guttural moan, it rises and advances on the NORAD soldier.

Running low on ammunition and feeling overwhelmed by the unending zombie waves, Nick Bolter sounds the retreat. The retrieval of the U.S. Constitution will have to wait for another day.

Final Thoughts

This is the first session report that I have written. I find Earth Reborn to be an incredible tactical game that successfully blends the depth of decisions with a clear, easy-to-remember rule set. On top of those technical elements, the story that plays out with each scenario is gripping. When I played the above scenario, the intensity of every moment was clear. I could see this story in my mind, and just had to get it down on (virtual) paper when it finished.

A couple interesting themes emerged in the game we played. First off, the expected results did not occur. There were five dice rolls when the bombs attempted to breach the compounds northern walls (three rolls of 6 dice, two rolls at 4 dice). The chance that at least one would be successful at destroying a wall was 82%, but none were. Similarly, Jeff Deeler's first attempt at reviving a zombie used 3 dice, but was unsuccessful at getting 4 hits (72% chance of success), and his first attempt at refilling the syringe with 3 dice needing 2 hits failed (97% chance of success).

On the flip side, the unexpected did occur. All three of Jeff Deeler's next attempts at raising zombies only used two dice, a testament to his/my desperation, yet all were successful at getting 4 hits. Similarly, Vasquez's morphine injection for Bolter only used two dice and again achieved 4 hits. Each of these attempts only had a 36% chance of succeeding. Taking it a step further, since these were all the two-dice attempts needing 4 hits that we did in the game, the chance of them all succeeding is a dismal 2%. It certainly made for an interesting game though!

Jeff Deeler was shot down to his last remaining hit point by Woo at the end. It was a tense finale, with NORAD placing a 4 CP shoot order and rolling 5 dice to try to kill the injured Deeler, followed by a 2 dice Salemite attempt to raise the zombie. It's for moments like these that I will continue to play this amazing game.

Any thoughts on the report (positive or negative) are appreciated.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this detailed report!
I miss playing ER so much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely fantastic report! I love the detail you filled in, that's exactly what makes this game so awesome. Are you available to sit in and narrate my next game?

I played the Salemites in this scenario when I was learning the game with my friend. I also had trouble with getting Deeler to actually animate the stupid zombies. Also the layout of the map is a little weird and I didn't take enough time to learn it so my team was a little, shall we say "confused" at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me want to play ER oh-so-badly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, the map is a bit strange. It's odd that there aren't more doors connecting the north rooms to each other. Though maybe having to go to the NORAD-infested south part of the building was intended by design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thumbs up for you, man!

It is one thing to play the game and experience the game as a real story (happens to me all the time), it is something else to write it down so vividly and full of tension as you did!!

Congrats!

P laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! I was not surprised to find the statistical analysis at the end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this scenario yesterday too and it was freaking amazing! Really love how this game is growing and how fairly easy it is to recall all the rules.

NExt session we'll skip the rest and go straight to SAGS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.