Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So I want to promote the new game Trieste, and I think sending a game to a reviewer to promote as an out of pocket cost may be a good option. Is this a good idea? If so, any reviewers I should consider? The game is a 3 player Euro-style card game, so are there certain groups that are better for those types of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lesinski
United States
California
flag msg tools
I haven't launched a board game before but I have a good deal of marketing experience and getting reviews units out there is a great idea. I'd love to hear what other folks have to say about your specific game.

In general, you should spend a great deal of time diving into board game sites and identifying the ones that you think fit your game the best. Study other similar games they've reviewed and how they've reviewed them. You know the game better than anyone so you'll be the best judge of who's a match for reviewing your game.

As a start, try finding some similar games -- especially ones that appeal to the same audience as yours. They probably have a press page where they show off their coverage. Then you can search Google for more. To give you an idea, there are probably a few hundred sites that cover board games so there's a lot to choose from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan R.
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/
These folks have a regular review video. You might want to try them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just look at who reviewed a similar game, and then ask what their policy is for reviewing new games. The goal of reviews is to summarize the game and testify that it's worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Recommendations to Board Game Design.

You'll get a better response here and in the future other users will be able to find your thread.

Here's a list of reviewers. Do contact them before sending anything.

List of 'top reviewers' based on written reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan01 wrote:
http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/
These folks have a regular review video. You might want to try them.

I doubt SC would review something that isn't widely commercially available. They are a game store first and foremost, so I can't imagine they would use resources to promote something that has not yet been released. It wouldn't make much business sense. They make great videos though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Actually, the game is already out. I'm trying to give it an additional marketing kick.

Trieste

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Matt_Ma wrote:
Actually, the game is already out. I'm trying to give it an additional marketing kick.

Trieste

Whoops, sorry! I totally missed the game link in your original post. It's probably worth sending a copy to one of the more well-known reviewers like Tom Vasel or Rahdo, as they seem more likely to review newer, less established games. They both have a ton of visibility and influence on the site.
If you look at SC's reviews, they tend to be on very well known games, so I'd guess a review with them would be unlikely.

EDIT: I noticed that your game is 3 player only, so Rahdo likely is not an option, as he typically does two-player reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.