Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I'm new to these forums I got into playing ASL recently.

I've played a couple of games so far (ASLSK3 scenarios), but I thought about designing a scenario or two using boards from beyond valor (3rd) and some of the counters that came in aslsk3. I was thinking specifically European Theatre scenarios with American paratroopers trying to take objectives on D-Day and beyond.

I was thinking an "open ground"/farm scenario and assaulting a French town for a second scenario. Before playing these an episode of Band of Brothers will be viewed, non optional

If someone has done something similar before, I'd like to know how it went, and what you included in your games. Any ASL veteran -input is welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are of course free to throw together anything you want, but published scenarios have grown out of serious research, including the lay of the land, who was there, and what their capabilities were. Scenario Special Rules, victory conditions, and playtesting all contribute to a balanced game in which it's not just, "Yay! The Yanks saved us."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Sure, I appreciate the effort that goes into research of any ASL scenarios (I'm probably getting Paratrooper), but since any real research beyond books is beyond my capabilites, I was hoping someone had thrown something like this together before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it goes, the DIY forum is more for discussing the physical act of creating components - you may be better off asking questions like these in the ASL forums or possibly the Board Game Design forum if you want to discuss more general issues.

BGG's interface is confusing at best - it's pretty easy to miss, but if you search for a game and visit that game's page (here is ASL's) then scroll down, about half-way down the page there's a section titled 'Forums'. You can click on the "Forums >" link to view the category overview for that game (ASL's is here) or you can just browse the latest-threads list in the forum subsection of the game's page.

On top of this there's also an ASL game family (grouping of games) which has its own forums. I'm sure there was a general wargaming forum somewhere, but I can never find it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted to do a nighttime airfield assault, using paratroopers and offboard artillery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
You are of course free to throw together anything you want, but published scenarios have grown out of serious research, including the lay of the land, who was there, and what their capabilities were. Scenario Special Rules, victory conditions, and playtesting all contribute to a balanced game in which it's not just, "Yay! The Yanks saved us."

Wow, way to dump a hot, steaming turd all over an enthusiastic newbie. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
So I was in the wrong forum to start with...Okie, mods are free to kill this thread. Thanks for the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from DIY to Advanced Squad Leader: Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Might as well post this here.

I rolled up a game from my ASLSK3 counters, boards v and t placed side by side, with grain in season approximitely in the middle (and a small cottage).

June 6, 1944
============

8-10 turns game time. Limited night rules in play.

Visibility 3 hexes.

"Pathfinders" (ELR 5):

Before the D-day operation was sprung into full invasion -mode, a bunch of brave guys called airborne pathfinders had to jump beforehand to set up some lights and radar equipment, so the pilots and their buddies in the 101st and 82nd would know where their DZs were.

- 2x 7-4-7 squads, one 3-4-7 half-squad (equipment bearers) and 8-1 leader set up coming in from "north" edge of game area (board t broad side).

- Objective: Set up transponder (?) equipment to receive reinforcements in Turn 3: Airborne jump spread around (in-game) chosen DZ hex, according SSR rule 1 in SK3 scenario Another Summer's Day, five 7-4-7 squad and some support weapons.

- Objective: Destroy Flak cannon operating in the area.

German troops (ELR 2):

- Flak 18/36 (from BV) with crew, set up on south edge of game area, broad side of board v, surrounded by trees.

- Three second line (4-4-7) squads set up in surrounding woods, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes, one 4-6-7 sets up hidden with LMG.

- Reinforcements: Kampfgruppe Fictional in (dr, 1-6) turns from airborne drop, 9 squads of german mixed elite and first line troops equipped with plenty of machineguns and a mortar, and 9-1, 8-1, 8-0 leaders.

Victory Conditions:

- Americans gain 5VP for destroyed Flak 18/36, and 2VP for every squad and leader exited off the south edge of game area.

- Germans gain 5VP for intact Flak at game end, and 2VP for every american squad and leader eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Well, we playtested this, and not surprisingly, there were a number of issues with the size of the play area and not enough time for the airborne attackers in the scenario.

The larger area allows for the "jumps" to be made so the troopers do not scatter off board so easily, but our beginner tendencies and forgetfulness slowed the american advance to snail-pace.

The scenario ended with a load of germans being annihilated in CC in the woods near the 88, but american losses counted towards my germans victory points and the gun was intact at game end. One american squad escaped at the last minute before game end.

Overall, it was educational and of course fun, but we'll probably stick with published scenarios for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you have fun? If yes, then mission achieved! Play the game the way you want to. Ignore others who think it must be "pure".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Sure it was fun

Can't wait for my full ASL rulebook and my copy of Paratrooper to arrive! I enjoy the flavor that the official scenarios add with their pictures and history/resolution writeups. In the future my own scenarios will probably have something similar, especially if I post them here or somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy White
United States
Walnut Creek
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great set of ideas! I am a guy who also loves more of a 'simulation' scenario based on some theater, but does not have to be bound to a particular set of constraints, nor balanced.

You can make all sorts of special rules to give the 'unbalanced' player a chance for some sort of victory - and you will see this play out as you test your scenarios. Don't think that you can't change them after you have made them - keep them fresh if you find interesting quriks - this forum won't mind at all!

BTW - I really enjoy making custom ASL boards, and am really kicking this hobby back up! If you want, let me know of some cool terrain/maps you would like for your scenarios, and I'll be happy to make them for you - free! (as long as you don't sell them!)

I have one thumbnail on my page right now showing what I feel is a great set of 'Winter War' boards with a flair towards Finland and Nordic countries. Would love a few scenarios to go with them!

Remember to have fun - this is an awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.