James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game publishers please take heed.

THIS is how you produce a game! This should be the new standard to aspire to. Just like Dominant Species sets the standard for rule books.

The box, the components, the board, even the insert has a lid.

Everything is printed double sided, even the treasure chests. Extra thick, sturdy quality. Tiles and tokens in two languages. Massive board.

Sure it was a little pricey, but on par with a lot of other current games Caverna, Amerigo, Madeira etc. but if this is the quality we get, I will gladly pay the price.

Top marks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. Days of wonder also go through great lengths to make gorgeous games, components and box inserts, and even though they are usually a little more pricey I will always choose to buy games like that over poorly produced and designed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even more critical is the fact that as good as the production quality is the game is a very,very good one .
Everyone wins !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't disagree with any of the above - the game is superb quality - and plays beautifully too. I like that cut-out in the box itself, enabling the easy removal of the board without bending the box wall - nice attention to detail there!

Of course, high component quality has a cost, so the game is more expensive than average, which will prevent some from being able to acquire it, which is a pity, but I don't think that Eagle have gone too far with this - it's a great game with components to match, well worthy of the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is (by far) the nicest game I own. I love everything about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babak Hadi
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can not believe that a number of people complained (!!!) that the game is "over produced".
I guess you can never please everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Stürmer
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the game at Essen fair and just opened it and went through the components.

My first impulse was to log into BGG and immediately start a thread exactly like this one.
...et voilà... it was already there...

Seghillian wrote:
...I like that cut-out in the box itself, enabling the easy removal of the board without bending the box wall - nice attention to detail there!

Second that - just for this tiny detail I would like to add an additional +1 to my rating of "10" for this marvellous game. wow

Just how much passion and experience went into the design of every single part of the game
- map (functional and nice artwork)
- components (nice mixture of thick cardboard, wood, glass & plastic)
- box & storage (functional down to the detail)
- last not lease the rules (very redable and well structured)

For me this will be a new standard for other games to be measured against... and for me at the moment only Terra Mystica is coming close.

Thanks Peter for giving us this fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Totally agree with the OP about production quality. I do have two minor design comments though.

1:- Deciding which deck of location cards to deal out. The blue colours are fairly indistinct, so I wish the cards had the player numbers marked on them.

2:- Seeing which places are in which sea zones. Mistakes were made in our last game, due to the subtle shades and boundaries. I feel that a degree of function was perhaps lost in the search for beauty.

That's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

This area is the main culprit. The Spanish Galleon is actually in Zone 3, which looks quite similar to the (adjacent) Zone 1 to the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

This area is the main culprit. The Spanish Galleon is actually in Zone 3, which looks quite similar to the (adjacent) Zone 1 to the right.

I've actually confused that with Zone 2 before, just because of how it lines up with the Towns, Forts, and Trading Posts below it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue of where the zones are hasn't been a problem for any of the 3 groups I've played this with, although one or two people said the boundaries weren't well defined.

If it's a problem for anyone, I would use some sort of marker on each of the 4 "targets" (forts, towns galleons, trading ports) in the zones to distinguish them - eg some mini dice with the face uppermost corresponding to the sea zone, 1,2 3 and 4. 16 mini dice - in 4 different colours would be a cheap and elegant solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Soulier
France
LOYETTES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, gorgeous components ! But I have some problems with the wooden parts. They were stuck together (the paint, i guess...) and some of the wooden disks are smaller than the others...

I sent an email at Eagle Games today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine were stuck too but became unstuck very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Soulier
France
LOYETTES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I succeeded in unstuck them (it was hard for some of them ! The paint was slightly damaged but nothing serious. I can play with that ).

More problematic for me is the size of the disks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw a comment in Ender's review that mentioned one aspect that could have been better - the gray cubes for sailors and the black cubes for cannons. Would be nice to have used meeples (maybe like Vasco da Gama) and maybe small cannons for cannons?

A minor quibble for an obviously-well-produced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babak Hadi
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Teuf wrote:
Yes, gorgeous components ! But I have some problems with the wooden parts. They were stuck together (the paint, i guess...) and some of the wooden disks are smaller than the others...:(

I sent an email at Eagle Games today...

The best way to seperate the discs without damaging the paint is to twist them. Do not just pull them appart and definitely do not insert anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Christophe,please contact Eagle Games. They have replacements from the factory to deal with this issue. Your discs must all be the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Soulier
France
LOYETTES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received replacement disks very quickly ! Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on receiving prompt replacements. I was missing a red mission disc (my favorite player color!) and had a half-sized crew (grey) cube. The red mission disc of course is the most vital. An email and a few days later, replacement received. Oh I did have two stuck trade good cubes, but no big deal when separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quality isn't that great, I mean cubes for crew and guns. The plastic ships are ok, the supply barrels ok, but overall I have seen better for less money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
The quality isn't that great, I mean cubes for crew and guns. The plastic ships are ok, the supply barrels ok, but overall I have seen better for less money.

I have to disagree. The quality is fantastic, and the cubes are really the only thing worth mentioning.

Can you imagine if Alea produced the game?

The components are just awesome, especially for a euro like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:

Really? You've seen "better for less"? If you feel like the ships and barrels are merely "okay", then I must be playing the wrong kind of euro. I mean, to each there own of course, and I'm not trying to pick a fight - but it sounds like you're not seeing the forest through the trees. The 3-dimensional treasure chests, the design of the insert, even the plastic lid for the insert...I think the overall care that went into the components and package are phenomenal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.