Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancee and I had our first place of King of Tokyo last night and a question came up about the timing of things if a player has It Has a Child and was killed. (the situation never came up but it was debated

In order for a player to win the game, they must survive until the end of their turn.

Let's say Player A has It Has a Child and 1 life. It's currently Player B's turn and he rolls a bunch of claws, killing Player A.

One possibility is that Player A would immediately come back to life the instant he was killed, meaning he's once again alive and well, still during Player B's turn so he hasn't won the game. Player B still needs to step through the rest of the phases during his turn and doesn't win until he reaches his End of Your Turn phase while the card would trigger during the Resolving the Dice phase after combat which comes sooner.

The other possibility that was raised is that Player B has just killed Player A, leaving him as the last living monster and immediately winning, not letting Player A's It Has a Child card take effect.

Can someone verify which one of these two trains of thought is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
I would interpret the rules as Player A coming back to life, prolonging the game, otherwise you might as well remove the card from the two player game, as it would be redundant; and there's no mention of removing the card in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I removed a number of cards that didn't work for a two player game (some were from the expansion too). You could just decide as they are drawn or go through your deck and pull out the cards that don't work with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A comes back to life at the end of Player B's turn. Game ON!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes most sense that they come back to life after resolving dice but before the card phase.

I don't know why this card would be a different issue for two players as opposed to three or more, should have a consistent effect regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
I don't know why this card would be a different issue for two players as opposed to three or more, should have a consistent effect regardless.

The potential one I can see is that in a 3-player game, eliminating a single monster doesn't make anyone that last one standing at that point in time, whereas in a 2-player game, one player would suddenly be the last one standing at some point before the card's effect potentially triggers. I guess this is more a question of when does the card's power trigger vs. when in their turn does a player check for winning conditions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the whole intent of the card was that you weren't out of the game. If you die for long enough for the other player to win then it would say so on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Chacon
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with cornixt.

In my view, the card is active after the die roll phase that kills the card holder, but before the end of the killer's turn.

If the card is only playable on the holder's turn and the holder can only be killed on someone else's turn, then the card would be useless in ALL settings. I can't imagine that was the intent.

[By the way, I am not generally in favor of an interpretation that renders a card useless in all settings when there is an equally plausible interpretation that renders it useful.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
chacon wrote:
I agree with cornixt.
[By the way, I am not generally in favor of an interpretation that renders a card useless in all settings when there is an equally plausible interpretation that renders it useful.]

good point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is atleast a 3 player game, it just has 2 on it to sell more copies. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
King of Tokyo is atleast a 3 player game, it just has 2 on it to sell more copies.

I've played it with two before. It's not too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
van00uber wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
King of Tokyo is atleast a 3 player game, it just has 2 on it to sell more copies.

I've played it with two before. It's not too bad.

My wife and I playing together well enough. We decrease the benefit of being in Tokyo to 1 VP because it's so much easier to hold Tokyo in a 2 player game. Whenever a card comes up that's relatively useless with 2 players we just mutually agree to discard it and draw a new card. I can see how the strategy is reduced, but I just love chucking dice and pounding a robotic bunny with my giant monkey fists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue remains for games with more players, because if the other players die and there is only two players left, you've essentially got a 2-player game.

I think the card is obviously meant to happen instantaneously. You can't win before the person is "reborn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.