Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathias Hansen
Germany
Kiel
S-H
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!
I purchased SotE in Essen and on the same evening we played a round.
We built a 3 player game board (from the rules) and tried to understand the rules and come up with strategies.

Later (2 hours later) noone was able to win because everytime someone could win another player placed an influence token on the last person and negated the win counditions.

2 days later I went into the same problem with other players.

Either we play the game wrong (but there is always the rule book beside me) or we have bad luck with the chosen citizens and their locations.

Nevertheless it's a great game and I don't regret the buy and thanks for the autograph, Babis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerHannes_84 wrote:
Hello!
I purchased SotE in Essen and on the same evening we played a round.
We built a 3 player game board (from the rules) and tried to understand the rules and come up with strategies.

Later (2 hours later) noone was able to win because everytime someone could win another player placed an influence token on the last person and negated the win counditions.

2 days later I went into the same problem with other players.

Either we play the game wrong (but there is always the rule book beside me) or we have bad luck with the chosen citizens and their locations.

Nevertheless it's a great game and I don't regret the buy and thanks for the autograph, Babis.

This might become an issue, there's another similar thread regarding a two player game lock down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remember to remove 1 token from each player from each card in conflict between the rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to go last in the round, try to abuse any power (even if the effect offers no results, like influencing when you have no more player tokens) in order to stall. Most of our games end in round 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You basically need to stall: force other players to pass and keep a "remove tokens from a citizen" action from somewhere. That is a sure way to win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is IMO a 'groupthink'. I was demoing at Spiel 2 days, and I indeed observed that the tendency was for players to concentrate on controlling the distinct personality.

... in 3 and 4 player games I think that is not the most effective way to win. By dedicating some efforts on controlling citizens that can effectively pull a combo late in the round, when, as noted, all but you have 'passed', you are giving yourself an opportunity to sneak past the 'central character brawl'.

In 2-player game this is a bit more difficult to achieve as you'll want to make sure you deny your opponent the control of the DP, by having your own counters on it, closing the alternative winning route, and therefore rely more on tokens mass removal on just that character, late in the round, which may be more tricky to achieve.

Still, after many many games watched by the sideline over the last few days, I don't consider myself an expert but all the games I have seen coming to a crawl were resolved by the most creative player, the one who realised that the 'brawl in the middle' was not the way to go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. is this stalemating a real problem or not? I would be sad if it was, since I was really excited about getting the game (which I did).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many abilities that resolve conflicts, move tokens and remove tokens that it's only a matter of figuring out the correct combination to make it work. Like a tactics puzzle.

My guess is that players that get stuck do some mistakes (in either rules or tactics). For example some players don't realise that they can directly influence other players' characters. Others are reluctant to change characters and some times remove tokens from their own (through abilities). Others spread their tokens very fast without keeping some, to give them versatility in influences and abilities later in the round.

Personally, I've played a lot of Shadows Over The Empire with all different numbers of players and I've only once seen a game going up to seventh round. Most of them end in round 3 and a few times in rounds 2 or 4. Therefore according to my experience I'd say that a stalemate is as possible as a draw in chess. It can happen, but how often do you see it?

edit: according to new information, draws in chess are frequent, so not like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draws in chess are actually very frequent, especially in high level play. In the last world championship, 10 of the 12 games played were draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I did not know that! I just judged from our games, but we are not that high level, of course. Then my analogy is wrong, you may imagine another one! Thanks for the information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha sorry to go off topic I get your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.