Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Bledsoe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Hi there. Just picked this up and the rules are killing me faster than the monsters...

Question about monster movement. As long as its a standard black border, they have a movement of 1?

When they move they move along the black or white line according to symbol , and after looking at the board, it appears they never move from a street level to an actual building, just roaming from one street to another after they spawn from a portal and move to the street level. Is this correct? (in other words, if an investigator is in a building that is adjacent to a street level, they could hide out there until they monster moves to another street?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on both counts.

There are monsters that will move into unstable locations that have investigators, but these have purple borders and are not found in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Black bordered monsters will only move from a location to the street. And, once in the streets, it will stay there, going from one to the other.

It is a sad existence, not really living.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Brakmann
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. Although there are certain movement types in the expansions (marked by a different border color) that would follow you into buildings when adjacent.

But for black bordered monsters: You're safe to wait for them to pass by.

Edit: Ninjad... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Wallace
msg tools
mb
I am relatively new to the game, but my understanding is that: Some monsters move 2 spaces (red borders). Black border monsters only move one space. Flying monsters always move one space in the direction of the nearest investigator regardless of directional arrows. If I am interpreting the rules correctly, the monsters just kind of go back and forth between a couple of locales as the game progresses because they only move in the direction of the black and white arrows on each square, meaning that they primarily only stay on the 'street level' squares and don't really enter location spaces unless they spawn on a portal or they are a flying monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwallacegd2 wrote:
Flying monsters always move one space in the direction of the nearest investigator regardless of directional arrows.

This is incorrect. When flying (blue bordered) monsters move, they first check to see if there is an investigator in an adjacent street. If not, they move to the Sky space. If they are on the Sky space when they move, they will move to the investigator in a street space with the lowest sneak. If there are no investigators in street spaces, they will remain in the sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend Universal Head's fantastic player aids for a quick summary of all the rules, with easy to find references for monster movements, monster types and a host of other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to correct a couple of minor things...

Radulla wrote:
There are monsters that will move into unstable locations that have investigators, but these have purple borders and are not found in the base game.

The Hound of Tindalos is in the base game and will move into a location with an Investigator. It never moves to the street.

rwallacegd2 wrote:
Flying monsters always move one space in the direction of the nearest investigator regardless of directional arrows.

This happens only if they are adjacent to the investigator. If there is no adjacent investigator they will move to the sky.

Edit: already answered, oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Wallace
msg tools
mb
Oops! Thanks for the clarification on the flying monsters! Told you I was new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:

The Hound of Tindalos is in the base game and will move into a location with an Investigator. It never moves to the street.

Thanks for catching that, Dan... I somehow let the Hounds... errr... "slip through the cracks"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget another green border monster - Chthonian. When it 'moves' it forces investigators to lose 1 stamina on a die roll of 4-6. However, it stays in its spawn location.

Also, as a reminder, yellow border creatures do not move, they stay in their spawn location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.