Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo Conquest, Epic Finale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I arrived to my very last turn (third night, dummy just declared end of the round) and the white city still had all its enemies there. It had been a slow game as I only managed to conquer the first city at my second turn of the third night.

I thought it would be absolutely impossible to conquer the second city for several reasons: first, it had to be in one go, something I had never succeeded at before. Second, given how slow I was progressing (conquering the first city took me three assaults, the last two of which took place at the beginning of the third night) I didn't think I had built deck powerful enough during the game. Third, the city had two Altem Guardsmen and one Altem Mage! With no cards of the type that kills an enemy instantly, I thought it absurd to add up so much attack as I needed.

Well, I was wrong (unless I made any mistakes). See the picture below which I set up to illustrate the game finale using the amazing Vassal module by Ben Kyo:

I started the turn with 12 cards in hand (Hand limit 6 + Keep 1 + Sparing Power 5), one of which was a wound. I had three units (Illusionists, Utem Swordsmen and Fire Golems) all ready and unwounded, and zero crystals. The source had one green and two white manas. Units in the unit offer were Ice Golems, Guardian Golems and Ice Mages. The enemies in the white city were 1 Golems, 2 Altem Guardsmen and 1 Altem Mage. This is how I played it out:

Activate unit Illusionist for white crystal, use white crystal to power Mana Draw and set one white dice in the source to black and get two black tokens. Play concentration for a green token. Play skill Dark Fire Magic for one red crystal and one black token. Finally, use skill Invocation and discard Swiftness for a white crystal. Total: 3 black tokens, 1 red crystal, 1 green token and 1 white token.

Play march + stamina + stamina for Movement 6, 2 of which are used to assault the city.

Use white dice from the source and one black token together with the four movement points I had left to activate Wings of Night: skip Block and Assign Damage phases.

Use green and black token to activate Earthquake: All enemies get armour -4.

Attack all four enemies at the same time. Enemies share resistances which means they all have all three resistances (physical, fire and ice). The enemies and their armours are Golems (5), 2 Altem Guardsmen (2x7) and 1 Altem Mage (8), for a total of 27. Enemies are in the white city so they get +1 armour to a total of 31. With the effect of the Earthquake and since enemies are fortified this number is reduced by 4x4=16. Hence, this means that I’m facing an armour of 15 with all three resistances. As my attack will be inefficient for sure I need an attack of 30.

Use red crystal and black token to activate Flame Wave. Since I’m facing four enemies I get Fire Attack 13.

Use Battle Versatility for Attack 2, a wound sideways together with skill Power of Pain for Attack 2, Activate Fire Golems for Attack 3, Activate and Wound Utem Swordsmen for Attack 6. Total Attack so far: 26.

Finally, use white crystal with Call to Arms, use unit Ice Mages from the unit offer for Ice Attack 4. Total attack = 30. Win!!

PS: I hope I didn't make any mistakes but if did please point them out so I don't make them again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I didn't think Mana Draw can produce black tokens. I'm pretty sure the card mentions basic mana. I could be wrong on this one though.

2. I'm certain that Concentration can't generate a Green token. Only the other 3 colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppel (BGG)
Germany
Kirchzarten
B-W
flag msg tools
Meowww
mbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
1. I didn't think Mana Draw can produce black tokens. I'm pretty sure the card mentions basic mana. I could be wrong on this one though.
Mana Draw can produce any colour except gold - so black is ok.

Faranim wrote:
2. I'm certain that Concentration can't generate a Green token. Only the other 3 colors.
That's true - but he could have used Concentration for white and Inovcation for green...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seppel wrote:
Faranim wrote:
Mana Draw can produce any colour except gold - so black is ok.

Faranim wrote:
That's true - but he could have used Concentration for white and Inovcation for green...

Excellent thanks for the feedback! I'm very relieved to know that my mistake with Concentration has such an easy fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
nokutos wrote:
using the amazing Vassal module by Ben Kyo

Thanks =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.