John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Played this last night and I enjoyed it a lot but the player going last in the first round (Playing five player) complained that he had a huge disadvantage in the first round with no compensation for a random turn order. Maybe needs something like players lower in the turn order on turn one get more starting cash or similar?

What does anyone else think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro BF
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought the same in our 5-P game, being last in a round was pretty bad, specially at this player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Malz
Germany
Vechelde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the (possible) starting player advantage is always a matter of discussion for any new game, we meticulously watched it during the whole 3-and-a-half-year development.

Over those many games (lots of them 5p games), we could not detect any starting player advantage except maybe the fact the first player has the first choice of strategy he wants to try. Besides that, all players have equal chances to win.

Especially the fact that there are "only" 4 employees available per round makes many first-time players think that the fifth player has a disadvantage by maybe not getting one of them. But Rokoko has so many ways to win without hiring an employee in the first (or even any) round that this has proven to be completely wrong.

(BTW, if the number of employees available were that important, a 3p game would be as unfair as the 5p game; since using that logic, only the starting player could get 2 employess per round...)

Whatever the first four players do, the fifth player always has an option available that is as good as the others'. Just be open-minded and give it a try. Employee management is important, but other aspects of the game are as well, if not more so!

Best regards
Stefan Malz

www.malz-spiele.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Played this last night and I enjoyed it a lot but the player going last in the first round (Playing five player) complained that he had a huge disadvantage in the first round with no compensation for a random turn order. Maybe needs something like players lower in the turn order on turn one get more starting cash or similar?

What does anyone else think?

Hmm, well I don't have any experience with 5p (and likely never will) but it seems that if you're last, you get a big advantage in regards to cheaper fabrics and employee hires. If all the employees are already gone before you get a chance to get them, that means your opponents aren't using their masters for dress making, so you can maybe push harder to get in the most prestigious "master dress only" spots on the board instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
malzspiele wrote:
Since the (possible) starting player advantage is always a matter of discussion for any new game, we meticulously watched it during the whole 3-and-a-half-year development.

Over those many games (lots of them 5p games), we could not detect any starting player advantage except maybe the fact the first player has the first choice of strategy he wants to try. Besides that, all players have equal chances to win.

Especially the fact that there are "only" 4 employees available per round makes many first-time players think that the fifth player has a disadvantage by maybe not getting one of them. But Rokoko has so many ways to win without hiring an employee in the first (or even any) round that this has proven to be completely wrong.

(BTW, if the number of employees available were that important, a 3p game would be as unfair as the 5p game; since using that logic, only the starting player could get 2 employess per round...)

Whatever the first four players do, the fifth player always has an option available that is as good as the others'. Just be open-minded and give it a try. Employee management is important, but other aspects of the game are as well, if not more so!

Best regards
Stefan Malz

www.malz-spiele.de

I played two nights ago, and didn't hire any new employees until the last round. Another player who hired several more than myself came in last. It was a fairly close 4 player game, first play for us all at BGG.CON (where this game was at one point #1 on the hotness track.) It was the only new game I bought on the spot after playing. Nicely done!

EDIT: Had I watched Rahdo's Run Through, I would have bought it first then played it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
francie berger
United States
ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After a dozen plays I have managed to win as the 4th or 5th player during the entire game. To reiterate Stefan's comments, there are so many strategies to play that while it may feel like the 5th player in a 5-player game has no options, that could not be further from the truth. All of the new hires have been taken by players 1-4- well fine, then I get my first choice of fabric at the market, which subsequently will give me first choice in dress-making, and ultimately dresses win the game. Or, if I feel I am truly at a disadvantage, I take the queen to become starting player next time. So many different ways to go here that I have never felt that my place in the tune order has hindered my play. I LOVE this game; as I have stated in other posts, it is a new experience every time I play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
In my two recent games, I started fifth in both.

I won both games, the second one commandingly.

In the first game I never picked the queen's favor, and was fifth in five of seven rounds.

I find that the beauty of Rokoko is that there are always useful things to do; the point is to adjust frequently to the developing board position, as opposed to executing some grand plan. Yes, you need a plan but only in vague terms. In my game last night it was along the lines of "collect bales and establish income in the first couple of rounds without worrying about scoring, then catch up on points". Worked like a charm (I ended up with 67, second place had 52).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.