Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone else noticed that there are two distinct types of players when it comes to doing the math on Moral Checks, Pin Tests, Rallies etc?
- Those who add/subtract the DRMs from the roll and...
- Those who invert the DRMs, and add/subtract them from the desired value.

I'm of the first mind, and it drives me up the wall when playing with opponents of the other persuasion. I'll look at my DRMs, get that +2 (or whatever) in my head, and then they call out "7 minus 2...you need a 5 or less). Gets me all confused because when it comes to IFT, I'm suddenly subtracting when I should be adding and vice versa!

DRMs should be exactly that: Dice Roll Modifiers, not MLMs or "Moral Level Modifiers". LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Markell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sunsanvil wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that there are two distinct types of players when it comes to doing the math on Moral Checks, Pin Tests, Rallies etc?

"Those who learned the rules primarily by reading them"

sunsanvil wrote:

"Those who learned the rules primarily by watching Joe Steadman's videos"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of speeding up play, I prefer to first roll and then, if the result is not clearly a hit or miss, add up the drms. This also improves your intuition on positive and negative drms.

Also, there's a good reason to do the math the way it's written in the rules: ITT CHs.

For example, imagine you shoot ordnance using the ITT with a basic TH # of 8 with a -2 TH for distance and with a -2 DRM for FFNAM+FFMO. Some people would just cancel the distance and target modifiers and say "you need a 8 or less". You roll 3,1. Is it a CH?

Think about it a second.

Some people would say the roll of 3+1=4 is not strictly less than half 8, which is 4, so it's not a CH. Wrong math. The correct way is: the Final TH is 6, the roll is 3+1-2=2, 2 is strictly less than half 6, so yes it's a CH.

That's why I think that doing the math as written in the rules is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
sunsanvil wrote:

I'm of the first mind, and it drives me up the wall when playing with opponents of the other persuasion. I'll look at my DRMs, get that +2 (or whatever) in my head, and then they call out "7 minus 2...you need a 5 or less). Gets me all confused because when it comes to IFT, I'm suddenly subtracting when I should be adding and vice versa!

DRMs should be exactly that: Dice Roll Modifiers, not MLMs or "Moral Level Modifiers". LOL.

Around these parts, most are in a subset of the second group. They will say/think 2MC, so need a 5 on the dice. And will calculate TH number needed instead of DRM. Usually does not matter, though every once in a while....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always track DRMs separately (e.g. '7+2', '8-1').
It's a good habit to get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.