Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
RUMIS REVIEW by Simon T. Willems

---------------------------------------------
INDEPTH REVIEW
Rumis is very special in my mind for one reason: it is three dimensional! In fact, it is almost exactly like Blokus, except three dimensional. Now if that doesn’t excite you immediately, then I can tell you this is probably not your game.

Rumis has a loose theme of Mayan building where players choose one of four very different structures in which to create that range from pyramid to tower. The system supports up to four players and is adjusted accordingly in height restrictions for the chosen structure. Basically the game is very analogous to Blokus in play. A player has a handful of pieces that s/he is trying to place in a clever manner with the ultimate goal being to “go out” while scoring the most points. Points are only scored at game end based on the number of block faces visible from a bird’s eye view of the completed structure (minus all blocks left in hand…sound familiar?). Pieces need only be placed so that one of its faces touches the face of a previously placed block of the same color and that the piece does not violate the perimeter and height limitations. To aid in this process the game actually plays on a swiveling “Lazy Suzan” of sorts. One can actually rotate the entire playing area at will for a better view.

The components are phenomenal, in addition to the rotating board. I believe the pieces were originally wooden, however, mine came in neat swirling color plastic that looks very eye catching. The whole game is actually pretty eye-popping during play and certainly clears the bar in the aesthetics category.

As for gameplay, Rumis loses no points. Just like Blokus, one will want to save up his/her small pieces for easy scoring later and play all the larger, tougher ones first to block and maneuver for the end game. There are some subtler tactics I’d love to expand on but it would kill the learning curve and that is half the fun of playing any game. Suffice to say, there is no lack of depth in this abstract.

BREAKDOWN
PROS:
- 3 Dimensional!
- Deep tactical and strategic play
- Excellent components, like the swiveling base
- Different boards for replayability
- Attention-grabber, looks great all set up

CONS:
- Not for the fat-fingered
- A bit gimmicky

FINAL VERDICT
BUY if you’re a fan of abstracts. The 3D genre is a bit slim so thankfully this game offers up deep play and cognitive challenge to fill the gap. I rate it an 8 out of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.