BANG! The Dice Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great Adaptation of Good game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Madmakam
England
flag msg tools
mb
Have played a few games of Bang! back in the day and it was ......OK. So what this new version leave me feeling? Well bit of a spoiler but it left me Happy, Tired (from laughing) and wanting to play again as soon as possible!!!

Quality

Bullets and Indian Arrow tokens. Good quality stock, printed on both sides so no annoying time turning them all over.

Dice. Nice deeply etched dice with vibrant colours and a satisfying weight.

Card Stock. Sheriff plus The secret roles i.e. Deputy, Outlaws and Renegades. Stock I think could be better, no sign of nice linen finish. Although this is only a issue for the sheriff and secret roles and only need 8 sleeves. Haven't sleeved yet sorry so can't tell you correct size.

Not going to go into too much depth about rules as they are readily available and links already posted.

Gameplay.

Everyone gets a role. We played a 5 player game and that meant 1 Sheriff (who turn up card so people know who he is. The rest of the players are secret and you cannot talk about who you are....... and as we found out that means Never.

Then every player gets a character who has a special ability.

Sheriff starts and throws the 5 dice. Not going to take time explaining rules (as I said) sorry if this annoys but I believe that the joy of these party games is finding out how the rules effect gameplay. We played 8 games in first evening and we all pretty sure the roles very well balanced and as each ROLE is only useful depending on your dice ROLL no player seemed to be overpowered.... yet?

Randomness of using Dice.

Was a worry that it would distract from the hidden role, mental agility of working out who is who.... but seriously this is Bang! after all. The dice added a wonderful nervousness to other players game... staring at you worried that you may throw the one die that kills them off.

Party Game with Player Elimination.

Yes the elimimation is a worry but with Bang! the Dice Game being only 10 - 20 minutes (in our experience)it didnt matter and even if the an Outlaw or Deputy goes out early they still have a vested interest in the result of the game and we were often laughing so much that nobody notices the downtime.

Talking.

We could not agree on the levels of talking. rules state that roles to be kept secret. We did say things like "dont kill me" and "I know who you are now" after certain moves. Hard to describe why but we found often the most innocent comment ended up outing your character. I think this will be a debating point on what exactly you can and should say on this site for a while.

Who is it for.

We played with a couple of pretty seasoned gamers, a teenagers and a couple of older relatives who are casual gamers (Ticket to Ride, Resistance etc.)

Seemed pretty suited to all. The casual gamers loved the speed, simple rules. The Teen loved the cartoon violence and the quick turn around. the Gamers liked the multiple decisions using the dice and the deduction element and the bluffing aspect. This bluffing aspect will I think mean different tactics will become clear. Do Outlaws go after the sheriff quick or lay low. Does the Deputy help the Sheriff early and paint a BIG target on his or her back.

Cost.

I paid £18 in the UK. Not a lot of money although some may think it is for not a lot in the box but I think great value for a GREAT PARTY GAME.

Conclusion.

May be a bit controversial but I think this is the best version of Bang! I have played...... I will just let that hang there for a moment..... but YES I think it the dice really work and bring an extra element of fun that is so hard to explain until you try.

Covers many bases in who will like it and great great fun, simple rules and going straight into my selection of games to introduce new people to the hobby.

I give it an 8.5 but I think this could rise to a 9 with repeated plays. Even if the first night fun wears off I cannot see this dropping much below an 8.

GIVE IT A GO AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

(and if you are I will meet you by the Saloon...... DRAW PILGRIM !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaKaM wrote:
Talking.

We could not agree on the levels of talking. rules state that roles to be kept secret. We did say things like "dont kill me" and "I know who you are now" after certain moves. Hard to describe why but we found often the most innocent comment ended up outing your character. I think this will be a debating point on what exactly you can and should say on this site for a while.

You can say "I'm Deputy". You just can't show your role = card.
It's official for Bang! and Samurai Sword.
No need to debating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Madmakam
England
flag msg tools
mb
Test
Hmmmm ...... Which is why new rules may cause debate.

http://www.dvgiochi.net/bang_the_dice_game/BANG!_dice_game-r...

Have a look at preparation section rule 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaKaM wrote:
Hmmmm ...... Which is why new rules may cause debate.

http://www.dvgiochi.net/bang_the_dice_game/BANG!_dice_game-r...

Have a look at preparation section rule 2.

Looks same as in base Bang! and SS.
It was said that secret = you can't show your card.
All those rules are imprecise and require official answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes secret just means you cannot show. You can say whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think of talking as being like playing Werewolf... say anything you want, who is to say that someone won't lie?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Friesen
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
DougA wrote:
I think of talking as being like playing Werewolf... say anything you want, who is to say that someone won't lie?!

Exactly; the deputy can say they're the deputy, but an outlaw can just as easily say they're a deputy. Just depends on your group.

Thanks for the review; I've enjoyed the card version, but didn't even know this version was a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
mbmbmbmbmb
We just love this game, not only is it easy to teach new/non gamers it is fun for seasoned vets. Fast and fun, it makes a great filler or a fun game to play multiple times laughing the whole time.

Most people love dice rolling, and the push your luck aspect with the 2 re roll mechanism gives you plenty... along with allowing you a bit of freedom in working on some sort of strategy.

We thoroughly enjoy the light bluffing aspect of the game, and get carried away with our dramatic claims of who really are deputies.

We find it difficult not to laugh and simply have fun every time we play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.