Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some of the KoT games I've played people avoid that first claw like the plague as they build up an initial glut of victory points and cards. This simple idea changes it up a bit and might be most appropriate when you want to encourage more monster destruction instead of victory point wins.

First Strike Variant
The claws rolled by the very first player going to Tokyo hit all other players as if that player was already in Tokyo.

I think that this might have the affect of starting the chaos of the game a bit sooner and could shorten the game a bit as some players might keep those early claws and hope for a massive strike then sneak into Tokyo and hope everyone spends a round licking their wounds.

You could even extend this a bit further and apply this idea any time a player takes over a vacant Tokyo or further still a vacant spot in Tokyo (City or Bay). In these cases any claws rolled will hit all other players and not just a player in Tokyo.

Throwing away those first claws doesn't fit the theme for me since you do damage to nothing. I think this idea came out of that.

I looked for a variant similar to this, but didn't find any. Please let me know if this is a duplicate (or close to another variant) and I'll take this down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and I've played this way before... I think it makes more sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cotter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try having those slaps act as wildcards; as in after taking Tokyo you would be able to turn them to any other facing before taking your rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.