zodmaniac zodmaniac
msg tools
Hey Folks,

not being very fond of deckbuilding in general and not wanting to fiddle around with the Cards before each Scenario, i made up a variant that is a lot of fun so far.

All Player Cards are sorted by sphere but only one copy per Card (Highlander). Then they are shuffled and put face up on the table for you to choose from. So there are 4 Stacks. And I shuffle in 1 Gandalf per stack.

I allow myself 4 Heros of choice, one for each sphere. As a starting threat i neglect that hero with the lowest threat. Now when I draw Cards I pick 2 from the offer, keep one and discard the other.

Then proceed as per the solo rules: draw 1 Card from the Encounter Deck etc....

So far the game experience has been fun and still a challenge although i presume that i made the game a little easier with having 4 Heroes around and 25% more resources, but heck some Scenarios are tough!

I am happy that this variant finally makes the game enjoyable for me

Feel free to comment or bash me

Yours,

Zodmaniac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know many people dislike pre-game deck building. Interesting that I hated deck construction before LotR, but then found myself drawn to it more after playing LotR for a while. In LotR, I relate it to like how you prepare when you go traveling--you'll want to pack everything but only the essentials of what you will need for your trip.

Anyway, looking over your variant, with only 60 unique player cards in the Core set (15 unique cards per sphere), creating an all-inclusive deck with 1 copy of each card is doable. The only thing is then you are not optimizing your deck to what could best meet the challenge of the scenario.

Continue playing with this variant since you are enjoying yourself. But the deck tweaker in me wants to suggest to pay attention to your cards when you're playing.
What cards to you find particular useful that you wish you had more copies of? Add more copies.
What cards end up sitting in your hand because there it would be a waste of resources to play? Take them out of your deck.
That's how to start getting into deck construction. Decking building from scratch can be daunting, but I think deck tuning will come naturally as you continue playing, get familiar with the cards, and start getting the urge to want to load your deck with better options.

One thing that wasn't clear is, do you leave the 4 mono-sphere stacks as 4 decks to draw from, or do you shuffle them into 1 deck? Because it sounds like the former. If you leave them as 4 stack, how do you decide which stacks to draw from? Is it solely at your own discretion? Knowing which sphere card you are going to draw seriously changes the difficulty to your advantage.

If you are going to use 4 Heroes, it's only fair, and to balance out your advantage, to add the Threat level of all 4 Heroes to your initial Threat, especially since you find the game easier.

I'd be curious how this variant will work out if/when you buy more expansions and your all-inclusive deck continues to get bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zodmaniac zodmaniac
msg tools
Thanks for your reply secoAce!

I play with the full mirkwood cycle included so there are more than enough cards to play singleton.

Yes, I leave 4 mono-sphere decks to draw from at my own descretion and that may further facilitate the game.

If I add the 4 Heroes´ Threat together i end up in high 30s to 40, that leaves me with only 10 Turns to play the Scenario..i find that a bit on the low side. But you are right that i might make it too easy although i lose pretty often despite the Advantages.

Well as i unfortunately have to play always alone and definetly never in a tournament environment i enjoy that one or two more wins

When i´m done with the first cycle i will add khazad und the whole dwarrowdelve cycle at once and report how that plays out.

Anyways after having despised the game for one year after purchase i am happy to get some fun and playtime out of it so much that i will even buy more Expansion!

Have a good time all!

Zodmaniac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea could be to only give resources to 3 of your heroes instead of all four. So before you draw your card, decide which three heroes would get resources this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zodmaniac zodmaniac
msg tools
That is indeed a good way to mitigate the resource issue though relying on that random Card Distribution might be considered as an increase in difficulty.

Regards

Zodmaniac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice variant. I love deckbuilding, but this seems a good way to play quick games. Also, it seems very good for multiplayer games, and may try it with friends (no more fights for Arwen or Steward of Gondor).

I played with 4 Heroes shortly after buying the game, when I was struggling with the game flow and difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are leaving the draw decks face-up so that you know which cards you are drawing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
You are leaving the draw decks face-up so that you know which cards you are drawing?

Yes. As a kind of live-deckbuilding.
Kind of the way Star Realms is working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.