A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action and response rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester Longsword
Latvia
flag msg tools
Hi again.

I read through the timing of actions and checked the flowcharts, still have some doubts about the order of actions and responses.

Here is an example.

Core set.

Player A

has Captain Groleo in play which has Response after an opponent plays or reveals an attachment,claim 1 power for your House. (Limit 1 per phase.)

Player B who is an Active player 1 starts Marshalling phase.

And he brings out Milk of the poppy attaching it to Captain Groleo.

So as I understand, before Captain Groleo gets his box erased he still claims this 1 power for the House.

Or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not 100% sure, but my answer would be yes, you can have +1 power.

Welcome to BGG. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
shed wrote:
Hi again.

I read through the timing of actions and checked the flowcharts, still have some doubts about the order of actions and responses.

Here is an example.

Core set.

Player A

has Captain Groleo in play which has Response after an opponent plays or reveals an attachment,claim 1 power for your House. (Limit 1 per phase.)

Player B who is an Active player 1 starts Marshalling phase.

And he brings out Milk of the poppy attaching it to Captain Groleo.

So as I understand, before Captain Groleo gets his box erased he still claims this 1 power for the House.

Or not?

The answer is no, he doesn't get the 1 power.

Since you mentioned the flow charts from the FAQ, I'll walk you through those.

Playing a card during Marshalling as a Player Action. A Player Action consists of 6 main steps. Not all of those steps are relevant here.

The 6 steps are:

1. Action is initiated. Your opponent pays 1 gold and announces that he'll play Milk of the Poppy
2. Save/Cancel Responses. Irrelevant here, since there is nothing to be saved, and there are no effects in the game that could cancel a arshalling action.
3. Action is resolved. Milk of the Poppy is attached to Groleo. The constant effect on Milk kicks in immediately. Groleo's text box is considered blank.
4. Passive abilities are initiated. Irrelevant here.
5. Responses. Here is where you would trigger Groleo's response - but you can't, because his text box is already blank.
6. End of Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I remember the flow wrong with other game then!

Thank Helmut, :D
Sorry for a wrong answer Chester.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Longsword
Latvia
flag msg tools
Thanks Helmut for explaining this step by step. Really helpful.

No worries PC ichigo, my initial guess was the same. I thought 1 power can be claimed, but now we knowthe truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Chis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Yea. AGoT is pretty much the complete antithesis of MtG's LIFO stack system. There is no stack and the majority of effects must fully resolve before another can initiate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a stack just like MTG for responses. Only Instants and such in magic go on a stack...anything else needs to wait to fully resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.