Hide
2 Posts

BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rotating Faction Leaders! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
mb
Me and my friend who played a game recently had a small idea for a variant.

The game is pretty balanced as it is, but during our last game we played with random leaders and my friend had a significantly more useful leader in the long term (in my opinion).

He was playing as the Founders and had the Esther Mallory (I think thats her name) as his leader, the secret agent lady. She gave a permanent influence buff to each world event vote. I on the other hand was leading the Vox as Daisy and could buy more troops for less cost.

In the long run, combined with his lucky selection of action cards, which always plays a factor admittedly, I found it very difficult to win any votes. If I played in two cards for example, he would usually match it and blow my two cards out of the water.

As a result, he won vote after vote and won bonus after bonus and as constantly player 1, managed to claim the objectives before I had a chance to react. I believe I only won vote, and that was with Bookers help as the swing vote! I tried to play to my strengths and tried to maximize daisy's potential by having a large troop presence, but in the end I just failed to claim the victory points and therefore lsot the game.... was still fun of course!

Afterwards we had an idea, what do you think to have the leaders as a seperate deck? And then randomly picking a new leader each turn? And when the 4 cards have been used, shuffle them into a new small deck and pick a new leader.

I reckon it keeps things interesting as players will be more efficient at attacking one turn, then more efficient at building the next. The random element keeps things balanced aswell.

What you guys think? Think revolving leaders is a good thing? Or would you rather pick one leader and stick with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Csepregi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think this is an interesting idea. Having a good leader can make the game for you, and having a bad one can leave a sour taste in one mouth. I think I'll give this variant a try in the near future.

Another idea based on this one: what if you can choose one of the leaders at the start of your turn? You discard it at the end of the turn, and have to choose the next one from the remaining ones, etc. Once you had choosen all of the, reshuffle them and start again. This could add another strategic layer to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.