United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Labyrinth of Ruin campaign, if the heroes want Serena as their Ally, then the first quest they choose after the Introduction is Gathering Foretold. In Encounter 2 of Gathering Foretold, the Overlord is presented with a decision: use Splig to fight and risk both losing out on the "Splig's Revenge" Overlord card and giving the heroes more gold, OR run Splig to the exit and lose out on his 1 attack per turn toward achieving the goal of knocking each hero down once.

The thing is, since Splig is so slow, the decision basically must be made during round 1, whether he heads east to fight the heroes or north to run away. Even if the Overlord decides to run on his first turn, it still takes Splig three full turns to get off the map (barring Dash/Blinding Speed/No Rest for the Wicked).

When I first played this, the OL's decision seemed like a no-brainer. Saving Splig is doubly beneficial in a campaign; you get the OL card and you deny the heroes some gold. Compare that to what little damage output he would bring and it just seems silly to even bring him into the fight. If you did hang back to put some damage on the heroes, there's almost no escaping for him since he's so slow.

I can see why the OL would have him fight during a one-shot quest, but does anybody in a campaign take the risk, or is it basically a non-decision disguised as a decision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
In the Labyrinth of Ruin campaign, if the heroes want Serena as their Ally, then the first quest they choose after the Introduction is Gathering Foretold. In Encounter 2 of Gathering Foretold, the Overlord is presented with a decision: use Splig to fight and risk both losing out on the "Splig's Revenge" Overlord card and giving the heroes more gold, OR run Splig to the exit and lose out on his 1 attack per turn toward achieving the goal of knocking each hero down once.

The thing is, since Splig is so slow, the decision basically must be made during round 1, whether he heads east to fight the heroes or north to run away. Even if the Overlord decides to run on his first turn, it still takes Splig three full turns to get off the map (barring Dash/Blinding Speed/No Rest for the Wicked).

When I first played this, the OL's decision seemed like a no-brainer. Saving Splig is doubly beneficial in a campaign; you get the OL card and you deny the heroes some gold. Compare that to what little damage output he would bring and it just seems silly to even bring him into the fight. If you did hang back to put some damage on the heroes, there's almost no escaping for him since he's so slow.

I can see why the OL would have him fight during a one-shot quest, but does anybody in a campaign take the risk, or is it basically a non-decision disguised as a decision?

The impression I got was that it wasn't really a decision. Part of the quest for the OL is just to get Splig off the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anecdotally, when I OL'd this quest, I used Splig on round two to Dash up to the heroes and knockback one of them into my pack of zombies. Because of that play, I won on round two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLuc wrote:
Anecdotally, when I OL'd this quest, I used Splig on round two to Dash up to the heroes and knockback one of them into my pack of zombies. Because of that play, I won on round two.

This interests me. So on turn 1 you didn't immediately run Splig toward the exit? How were you sure you wouldn't lose him?

Also, how the heck did the heroes lose on turn 2? They must have been in pretty bad shape to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost this one as the OL but I used splig to fight and managed to run away fighting the whole way back...

I used splig to knockback 1 hero to get a Hybrid sentinel to firebreath 3 heroes. Unfortunately I managed to only knockout 2 heroes and serena got them up quickly. The problem was that the monsters were so squishy they got blasted away and Jain was tough to take down, when she had a stamina potion + a reflective ward and was resting all the time.....

Still, I managed to block the narrow passage and dash splig away, they would have caught me though ,but I had tripwires and pit trap planned for my escape, plus the geomancer with the immobilize was grabbed by a master zombie...

Still I lost and it was my 1st ever loss as OL... but Splig will have his revenge in the next quest devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

This interests me. So on turn 1 you didn't immediately run Splig toward the exit? How were you sure you wouldn't lose him?

Also, how the heck did the heroes lose on turn 2? They must have been in pretty bad shape to begin with.

Well, they were in decent shape actually, but no, I didn't run him away. I had planned to use him as much as possible while doing my best to keep him alive, and had actually had the knockback idea early on.

I did roll extremely well those two rounds, and all four volucrix reavers were able to attack that second round as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our OL used Ogres as his Open Group that got placed on the map. First turn he knocked back Logan into a crowd of Zombies and then used his second ogre to knock him back past the zombies and right in front of a crowd of Reavers. Needless to say, he was knocked down for some time as the path was blocked by 2 Ogres, 5 Zombies, and 4 Reavers.

What we didn't realize is that the OL was only supposed to get 3 fatigue tokens (not 10!!!) and that if Splig had run off the map, the OL would have gotten a reward. Due to this, the OL had Splig around a lot longer than would have been normal. Of course the heroes also left him alone a little bit more than would have been normal as well. Amazingly enough, the heroes still managed to survive without all of them being knocked down.

Not reading the rules FTL, but EPIC Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also just because he can get to the exit doesn't mean he has to leave. He can keep Splig hovering around the exit and choose to use him or not as the heroes get closer. If it looks like Splig might make the difference to knock down that 4th hero then he might want to bring him into the action. Otherwise he can just leave whenever he likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
Also just because he can get to the exit doesn't mean he has to leave. He can keep Splig hovering around the exit and choose to use him or not as the heroes get closer. If it looks like Splig might make the difference to knock down that 4th hero then he might want to bring him into the action. Otherwise he can just leave whenever he likes.

That's an idea, though it sort of hinges on falling all of the monsters back and making the heroes come for them, instead of pushing all of the monsters forward to swarm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogres and Ettins would be essential to that type of plan I would think. With Undying the Master Ogre stays around an extra while and can use knockback. Ettins get 2 grey dice which means they'll be around a while too. Maybe Ogres to start on the map and Ettins coming in from behind. Throw them forward and then allow the Ogres to knockback and let the zombies/reavers/Splig finish them off.

I don't think a complete fallback would be in order, but definitely making sure the pathway is clogged to prevent the heroes from coming to the rescue of their fallen comrades. Also, keeping a gaggle of monsters in the back would likely prevent most heroes from standing back up to prevent the OL from just constantly knocking them down.

If you can manage to separate a hero a turn form the group, you may have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.