Subject: Rumour has it: I could have won... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Bixby
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was actually my third game of AH and after winning the first one in final combat against Yig and losing the last one in "final battle" against Azatoth I hoped to have better luck against Yog-Sothoth.

I have so far only played solo with two investigators and choose my investigators randomly. So for my attempt to thwart Yog-Sothoth I could muster the help of Monterey Jack and Patrice Hathaway. I was pretty happy about Patrice because in my previous plays I often lacked clue tokens, which finally led to the awakening of Yig and Azatoth and so her special ability felt rather promising.

I also played with the personal stories for the first time because I’m a sucker for theme and background story which is why I bought the IH expansion in the first place. (I didn’t use anything else from IH.)

I started quite well by sealing three gates with both Monterey’s and Patrice’s clue tokens. I was also able to fulfil the win conditions of Monterey’s personal story relatively early in game but the problem was that his benefit didn’t really do me any good.
Patrice’s personal goal didn’t strike me as especially hard to master as well so I thought it good to wait for the investigators to run out of clue tokens, go shopping and getting the clue tokens as kind of a bonus. In hindsight this was a huge mistake as a Dark Young had other ideas soblue

It spawned out of a gate and when Patrice came back to Arkham she had to fight it. Well, she didn’t really because laying eyes on the Dark Young she decided to go mad and was brought to the asylum having failed her personal story in the process.

So this meant that Patrice would lose a lot of sanity from now on if she helped out Monterey with some clue tokens because of the Fail condition on her personal story card.

From this point on it went down quite quickly. Two rumours hit me pretty hard. The first one (Disturbing the Dead) I could pass, the second (The Great Ritual) not so much since I didn’t have enough spells and couldn’t afford to buy more. Soon enough I had to draw TWO Mythos Cards each phase and not an awful amount of time later the doom track filled up and there he was: Yog-Sothoth.

Unfortunately, Patrice didn’t have any gate trophies left because she had spent them on the first rumour so she was instantly devoured. However, Monterey Jack was still in the game and ready to fight. I honestly think he did quite well and stood his ground for 4-5 rounds before Yog decided to quit fooling around and finally ate him alive.

I don’t know if it was incompetence (third game) or bad luck (rumours and the monster spawn) but I still had a lot of fun and I’m under the illusion that if Patrice had lived I might have been able to kick some butt in the final battle...

PS: I also think that I’m slowly figuring out which locations are hot-spots for gates and should be sealed early in the game, which I believe is pretty important maybe more so in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive_Bixby wrote:
...the second (The Great Ritual) not so much since I didn’t have enough spells and couldn’t afford to buy more.

A third option, worth keeping in mind, is to dedicate an investigator to pull encounters in spaces marked with a likelihood for generating spells. It certainly lacks certainty, and disrupts the logistical game you might have had in play, but can be a life saver in situations like this.

It took me several games before I really started factoring in the location icons into my analysis, but now they're an element I always stress when teaching the game (something that doesn't happen anymore now that I've sold my copies off).

p.s. nice report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Bixby
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
A third option, worth keeping in mind, is to dedicate an investigator to pull encounters in spaces marked with a likelihood for generating spells.

I was wondering if that is something I really had to factor in. You see, in my three games I seldom got anything really good out of the encounters.

I was actually offered a Silver Lodge Membership for the first time in my last game and I of course gladly accepted feeling immediately a bit more elitist.

Well, in my first two encounters in the Inner Sanctum they stripped me off my money and just when I told myself three's the charm some guy throw me out because he distrusted me. So much for that! surprise

But admittedly I don't often have encounters because there is simply so much else to do. I guess I just have to squeeze some in during all that gate closing, monster bashing and sanity healing and find out for myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.