Romance of the Nine Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle Mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Beckwith
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
I tried this game out last night and enjoy most of it so far, but the rules are a little hard to understand. I've played and learned to play tons of board games and card games from the rules and I'm always the one to read it and explain how a new game works to all my friends, but I have to say the mechanics for how the battle system works is very confusing. Part of that may be due to my CCG gaming background, which is primarily M:TG. I've never played L5R or LBS.

Here's an example scenario and please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere in here. So let's say I've got 4 heroes, two with 4 Strength and two with 2 Strength, for a total of 12. I want to attack a castle. I assign them all to attack that castle. The defender has a hero with 7 Strength and a hero with 2 Strength, for a total of 9. The defender then has first action, which seems odd to me. He then chooses to engage (can't use the word attack, that just makes things more confusing). Can he engage both heroes, or can he only engage one of them? If he engages both, that's 9 damage I have to absorb. I cannot name any of them immune so I have to absorb using both of my 4Ss and a 2S, which buries them and leaves me with a 2S to engage with later. The defender can then absorb my 2 damage with his 2S hero and bury him, leaving a very alive 7S hero and me with a single 2S hero. The kicker is, I have tactic cards in my hand that could bump +2S to specific heroes, but I couldn't use them because I didn't get to go first. This seems really wrong to me considering I was the one attacking with a superior force (12 vs 9).

Can anyone explain to me if I'm correct with this scenario, or if there's something else that could've been done or why I should get my butt kicked for attacking with a superior force? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender gets first action because (a) it's his turf, and (b) he gets to do things while the attacking army is marching into position.

When a player engages, he can only engage cards in a single unit (hero plus attached cohorts).

Second, do not forget that when you use a hero to asborb damage, you get to discard one card to absorb that card's fate value in additional damage.

While, in your example, you have numerical superiority, a 7-strength hero is nothing to sneeze at.

So, with your example: You attack with 4, 4, 2, 2. He defends with 7, 2.

He engages for 7. Ouch. You either bury a 4 and discard a card from your hand with a fate value of 3 or better, or else bury the 2 and discard, say, The Oracle's Answer, or something of that ilk. Let's assume you bury a 4 and pitch a card.

You engage with a 2. He either loses two food, or buries one of his heroes. He chooses to lose 2 food.

He engages with his 2. You bury your 2 that you already used.

You engage with a 4. Again, he must either lose food and/or a hero. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, cards like Blitzkrieg, Blood of a Dragon, and Training Ground can help you out.

But the bottom line is that a 7-strength hero is a big can of whoopass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Beckwith
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Ah, okay. So it's one at a time. Which means that the Ord deck is pretty poor at attacking, since almost all of the fate cards in that deck have a fate of 2. and the strongest hero is at 4 unless you buff him up.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

The other thing I wasn't sure about is the food that the defender can use to absorb damage. Can the defender use food only at the current castle, or can the defender use any food to absorb damage? I'm guessing it's only the food at the castle, but again I couldn't find anywhere in the rules that specifically states that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the current castle. But he can always do that, and once the castle gets destroyed, any remaining damage to be taken is ignored.

So, as the deefender, would you rather lose a castle and preserve your army, or lose your army and preserve your castle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Beckwith
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Heh, seems like that would all depend on what your strategy is, how early or late in the game you are, how important your heroes are, and how much food is left on that castle. It is a conundrum, but that's one of the things that makes this game interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of nuances, and controlling--or at least surfing--the ebb and flow of the gamne is crucial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Goggakis
Greece
Peristeri
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm having a little issue with the battle and most with the tactic cards! Could you help me?
This is an example:
After all heros are assigned to the attacking castle, starting with the
Defender: Has heros 2S,4S,7S
Attacker: Has 2S,2S,4S
Defender: Engages the 2S hero
Attacker: Must absorb buring a 2S hero or he can discard a card with 2+ Fate saving his hero? He must name immune the 4S hero to do that? Then he wants to engage the 2S hero but he want to play a tactic card and give him +2S! ..If he do so, he cannot be able to engage the hero??? He must wait for his next turn???
And something else, can I play a tactic cards when absorbing damage to increase the S ?
I'm comfused... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, use any reacts (like Training grounds).

Next, declare immunity. This is not mandatory.

Then, if the attacker has any non-immune heroes or cohorts, he must choose one card to absorb damage.

If there is still damage left, and the attacker buried a hero, he can discard a card to further reduce the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And only reacts can be played "out of turn". You cannot play a normal battle tactic while engaging, or when taking damage.

Note, however, that many battle tactics allow you to engage a hero as part of their written effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Goggakis
Greece
Peristeri
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now it's clear! thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.