Popular Tags: Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just took this one off the shelf again after several years as a result of a rekindled interest in ACW wargaming.

Was looking at the rules for Naval transport and it seems to me that they fail to do justice to the capability the Union displayed during the Penninsula campaign. McClellan was able to move over 120,000 men from Alexandria to Fort Monroe in a matter of a few weeks. To accomplish this feat within the game, the Union player would have to activate a full strength Strategic HQ 3 times two campaign months in a row (9 units moved each month) at a cost of 18 total Replacement Points. With a similar expense required to pull out as ocurred historically, it does not seem worth the risk within the game. It feels as though the rules limitations have failed to account for actual realities. Has anyone seen results to the contrary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard for a game to stay a balanced game if we recreate everything. A game should be based on history and then let the players create their version of it, otherwise it's not a game, it's just playing recreation.

Anyway, if you are a stickler for keeping it real, what's the point in moving 120000 men if you dont end up doing anything with them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that asking for accurate movement abilities is an unrealistic request in a historical war game. If design balance requires that such a maneuver is not made more than once per game, why not allow for a single instance of it similar to the Emancipation Proclamation rule?

The game accounts for Union command deficiency by lowering the command radius and setting hex-side limits on the attacking player, making it more difficult to bring the weight of a 120k man army to bear on a concentrated foe on the defensive.

Finally to your comment about letting players create their version of the history the game is based on - that was essentially the crux of my inquiry. I would love to create a version of a Peninsula Campaign, without being restricted to the 1862 scenario start, but haven't been able to figure out why I should do it outside of that scenario given the cost and risk. Have you had any success along those lines?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Forged in Fire by Worthington games
Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play bobby lee that often to really be able to give you a good answer. The best person to ask would be someone like Matt Looby who live for this game, you will find him on some of these forums...

You missed my tongue in cheek about the 120k men, ship them all down and then have them sit and do nothing then go home lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:

I have this game but haven't had a good look yet, I like the road movement and the less blocks, what is your opinion of one v the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry I never played either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shaynerichards72 wrote:
charlescab wrote:

I have this game but haven't had a good look yet, I like the road movement and the less blocks, what is your opinion of one v the other?

I own both and have both several times, and enjoy them both very much. They both use blocks for units and Fog of War. Battles are fought on battle boards where players have tactical decisions to make. Bobby Lee offers more tactical choices in battle than Forged in Fire. There are a couple big differences. First, Forged uses point to point movement with very limited choices up the Peninsula though there are a few amphibious choices. Bobby Lee uses hexes and offers a wide variety of choices. Second, Forged is an operational game focused just on the Peninsula Campaign of April-July 1862. Bobby Lee covers the entire 4 years of war in VA, and players control armies and Replacements points on a wide scale to choose how to fight the entire war in VA.

Both do a good job of what they try to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the Peninsula campaign can be recreated rather well in Bobby Lee. In April, 1862, the USA player can transfer 9 units to Ft. Monroe, which is roughly the equivalent of 2 Corps (3 infantry and 1 artillery per corps) and the army HQ (McClellan). That HQ could actually start the campaign then in April. In May, as the Union army struggles for Yorktown then Williamsburg, the Strategic HQ could transfer 9 more units. That would give the Union player roughly the equivalent of 4 corps, along with supporting cavalry and the Heavy Artillery (siege guns). With Yorktown and West Point captured (historically) a few extra units could be transferred in June as the army advances near Richmond. Now, if the Union player also wants to attack Norfolk, that would require 4 of those Strategic moves, so that would mean 1 less corps onto the Peninsula, but again, that corps could be transferred to West Point in June.

So overall, the game does allow for the creation of such a massive transfer and campaign rather well. I have launched such campaigns several times in my games, and it often does get close to Richmond, though I have never taken Richmond that early in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaynerichards72 wrote:

You missed my tongue in cheek about the 120k men, ship them all down and then have them sit and do nothing then go home lol.

Sorry about that Shayne- mistook it for sarcasm. Been spending a lot of late nights following the World Series so I probably wasn't 100% mentally focused when I read your message.

mvkwasny wrote:
So overall, the game does allow for the creation of such a massive transfer and campaign rather well. I have launched such campaigns several times in my games, and it often does get close to Richmond, though I have never taken Richmond that early in the game!

Glad to hear it. So even with the length of time it takes to build up the force, your confederate counterpart did not make a march against Washington?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Orgak wrote:
mvkwasny wrote:

Glad to hear it. So even with the length of time it takes to build up the force, your confederate counterpart did not make a march against Washington?

That can be a risk, but then it was in the real war too, no? But if you leave a decent garrison in Alexandria, and something to hold Leesburg and Winchester, you should be safe. The CSA player probably does not have time to lunge for D.C. and then get back in time to defend Richmond so it is a big risk for the CSA as well! But that is why I enjoy the game. I allows and even encourages players to take risks and maybe even make foolish moves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
That can be a risk, but then it was in the real war too, no?

Absolutely, which was why Lincoln refused to let McClellan have McDowell's Corps and would not even send it south toward Richmond in support. The difference is that as McClellan's campaign came to a halt on the James, and Lee turned to face Pope, the Union was able to quickly send three corps back up to Washington in support of Pope.

I guess my next step is to insist upon playing the Union in my next campaign game and attempt the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.