John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I saw a car swerve out of its lane, swerve back into its lane, and finally speed away. The cars ahead of me, naturally, slowed down to avoid a head on collision. These cars then quickly resumed on down the road no worse for the wear. I however, out of the corner of my eye, saw a deer dragging itself off the roadway. It was clearly injured. Its back legs were clearly not functioning. So I stopped and called 911. The police came quickly and euthanized the deer.

I don’t know if the swerving car was simply avoiding the deer, or actually hit it. However, I do know the driver most certainly saw a distressed animal and chose to drive on.First of all, who hits a deer, and drives away? You would think that at the very least you would stop to inspect for any damage. You hit something, you stop. If you see an animal in distress, you make sure the thing doesn’t suffer. Right?

At least 50 cars drove right on by my vehicle parked along the road with BLINKERS ON. Only a single pair of young men stopped to offer me assistance. If ever I am truly in distress, I would hope to garner more attention.

After about 5 minutes of peering out the window, the closest homeowner came out to render assistance. I explained the situation, and they waited with me for the police to arrive. I guess I don’t blame this person for being cautious, but again, if I were truly in distress, I would hope for quick help.

I told the story to my 10 year old son. Immediately he wanted to know why they would euthanize. I explained the best I could, but didn’t realize how hard this subject is to tackle, particularly since he tried to transfer the situation into human terms. At one point, he said if he was mortally wounded, he hoped the police would shoot him too. note to self, do not discuss euthanasia witha ten year old.

FYI -- Apparently there is a list of people waiting willing to pick up (edible) road kill. I drove by the site on my way home, and some very pleased people were collecting the remains. I felt good that at least the meat would not go to waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:
First of all, who hits a deer, and drives away?

Anyone with a suspended license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think anyone who cannot show compassion to an animal, which is easy to do for most people, is unlikely to show compassion for people, which is often sadly more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I've driven past injured deer before. I've called the popo and told them about it but what good is my stopping going to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:

I told the story to my 10 year old son. Immediately he wanted to know why they would euthanize. I explained the best I could, but didn’t realize how hard this subject is to tackle, particularly since he tried to transfer the situation into human terms. At one point, he said if he was mortally wounded, he hoped the police would shoot him too. note to self, do not discuss euthanasia witha ten year old.

I've seen animals die in similar circumstances, and it is very difficult to watch.

With all due respect, this sounds like something that you haven't quite figured out for yourself. Anything you are unsure about is going to be hard to offer guidance on to someone else, 10 year-old or otherwise. So I'll just ask you: are you okay with euthanasia? If so, why not just tell your son that. If not, what distinction do you see between it and putting an animal down? Why not just explain this distinction to your son?

I'm not trying to say it's a fun subject, or one that doesn't have to be approached delicately. But it sounds to me like, contrary to the last sentence I quoted, you DO need to discuss euthanasia with your 10 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:
So I stopped and called 911. The police came quickly and euthanized the deer.

sure, that seems like a responsible use of police resources

stayman wrote:
First of all, who hits a deer, and drives away? You would think that at the very least you would stop to inspect for any damage. You hit something, you stop.

sure , I get out my hunting knife and put the animal down and if I have time , I field dress the animal if its edible and throw it in the back of my truck.

stayman wrote:
If you see an animal in distress, you make sure the thing doesn’t suffer. Right?

depends on the animal and level of damage. large buck with a broken leg, nope I roll on cause that fucker could kill you. large moose, nope roll on. skunk , again roll on. small dog or cat, sure.

stayman wrote:
At least 50 cars drove right on by my vehicle parked along the road with BLINKERS ON. Only a single pair of young men stopped to offer me assistance. If ever I am truly in distress, I would hope to garner more attention.

were you a man at the time this happened ? if so, quit your crying and put on your big boy pants. if I see a guy on the side of the road, I move along assuming you can handle your shit. if its a woman or a crying man, then I stop and offer to help.

stayman wrote:
FYI -- Apparently there is a list of people waiting willing to pick up (edible) road kill.

you didn't even take the animal ? recycling is not just for cans !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
stayman wrote:

I've seen animals die in similar circumstances, and it is very difficult to watch.

With all due respect, this sounds like something that you haven't quite figured out for yourself. Anything you are unsure about is going to be hard to offer guidance on to someone else, 10 year-old or otherwise. So I'll just ask you: are you okay with euthanasia? If so, why not just tell your son that. If not, what distinction do you see between it and putting an animal down? Why not just explain this distinction to your son?

I'm not trying to say it's a fun subject, or one that doesn't have to be approached delicately. But it sounds to me like, contrary to the last sentence I quoted, you DO need to discuss euthanasia with your 10 year old.

True enough - I haven't fleshed out the idea in my own head. Which of course made me unprepared for any significant discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:
happyjosiah wrote:
stayman wrote:

True enough - I haven't fleshed out the idea in my own head. Which of course made me unprepared for any significant discussion.

For what it's worth, I think it's totally okay to tell your kid that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole euthanasia discussion is a hard one. It's led to a couple of multi-hundred dollar operations on ten-twenty dollar pets (rats and Guinea pigs) at our house.

I'd make a call if I saw a large animal in distress, but probably wouldn't stop. Depending on the small animal, I might stop to finish it off, but conditions would dictate.

On the subject of euthanasia. We had a squirrel crawling around in the yard with a broken back (or at least it seemed to have paralyzed back legs and tail) when we arrived home. I got the kids in the house and came back out to put it down, but it had crawled off somewhere and I couldn't find it. I really thought when I didn't see it again the first night that a cat or coyote had had had a good dinner that night. Damned if I didn't see the thing climbing a tree a few weeks later, using only its front legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who was living in Virginia at the time. While driving at dusk he clipped a deer. The deer was alive but its back legs were crushed. He called the police, and a cop arrived shortly. My friend asked the cop if he'd shoot the deer. He was told that there was a policy that their PD did not euthanize animals via any means, and furthermore any discharge of a weapon for any reason is an immediate suspension from work while an investigation is conducted. The cop stated that Animal Control would be called. My friend is a big hunter, and he felt bad that the venison would be wasted. He asked the cop if he'd mind not getting Animal Control involved, and if he'd forget he'd ever been called. The cop left, and my friend used his tire iron, then loaded up his truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in accidents with deer in them a couple times.

The first time I stopped to look for the deer. It was gone.

The second time it was dark and the deer hit the side of my car. I kept going because I think they were trying to kill me and I wanted to get away as soon as possible. I also was going 55 and didn't see the deer until way too late to slow down at all - it was dark and a car had it's headlights on coming towards me. The deer either lived or died, but me being around for that to be sorted out didn't seem like a big priority for either of us.

These happened in the same month, along with another spin out. I've never been the driver in an incident outside of this one month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Just my take on this...

If you are visibly attempting to attract attention, I will be very likely to stop and help (and am very grateful to people that have stopped to help on a few occasions). If your car is in a wrecked mess on the side of the road and you are visibly still in it, I am likely to stop and check on you.

If you have your blinkers on and are neatly stopped on the side of the road, it just means your car is stopped in an unusual place and you want to warn others. If you need a ride or other assistance, you will be visibly attempting to attract attention. If you are not visibly attempting to attract attention, you are presumably waiting for someone to come get you or are just checking directions or letting the kid out to water a tree.

My standards have changed a lot with the prevalence of cell-phones; nowadays, most people are going to call someone on their cell and get a tow truck or a friend to pick them up. Not much I can add to be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I don't have a phone, I visibly try to attract attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:
First of all, who hits a deer, and drives away?

Depends. I wouldn't if I intended to eat it...but I might not have my tools, access to water and a place to store it in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
stayman wrote:
happyjosiah wrote:
stayman wrote:

For what it's worth, I think it's totally okay to tell your kid that as well.

A child will never lose respect for you if you admit you don't know but a child might well if you refuse to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm ever mortally wounded I hope BJ puts me down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and his wife were driving on the freeway at night when they hit a deer.

They got out and the poor thing was still alive thrashing around in the middle of the road. My friend didn’t know what to do. This was before cell phones. He thought of several things, including getting the tire iron, but he was at a loss.

While pondering his problem, a semi came barreling around the corner. My friend and his wife moved off the road just as the truck smashed into the deer, pulverizing it and dragging it down the road. Problem solved.

The trucker slammed on his brakes, got out, and ran back to where they were standing. He was panicking and crying and yelling ‘sorry’ at them. When things settled down, the trucker said that he had spotted them standing in the road just before he felt the impact as the truck hit something. He was sure that he had just killed a couple of people.

So, win-win: Wounded deer taken care of and no vehicular manslaughter charges for the trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one time I hit a deer with my car was just after it was bounced off the front of a semi in the next lane. (I didn't stop to see if it was dead.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.