Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeevs Rawese
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I would have to say I really like what they did with the fortune tokens.

As a full time OL (nobody else in my group wants to be it, and I don't really mind), I was worried that the gain from the plot cards would quite possibly be worse than the bonuses the fortune tokens would bring to the heroes. However, with :

-half of the abilities costing multiple tokens
-tokens having to be evenly distributed + no trading
-tokens being cleared after a quest

..makes me a lot more interested in picking these up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
and makes more sens to play rumor cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeevs Rawese
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thank goodness for that. When I first started my campaign with rumors included I had to read the encounter associated with one of them multiple times. Why the heck would I want to give the heroes a chance to get an epic sword as powerful as some of the best act 2 weapons? Even with a token.. maybe not :X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
The agents still seem fairly underwhelming, but all of the rest looks awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SHWEET!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else think that Huge is bigger than Massive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have to agree. At first I wasn't seeing the reasoning as to why an OL would want to introduce a rumor but these rules clear that up. They've really expanded this game quite elegantly. Now, with the city expansion it's being taken to a whole new level. As I stated in the FFG forums, the only thing holding this game back from being perfect are guidelines for the vault so you can build your own balanced campaigns. I'm quite sure I could build a more compelling story that what's provided if there were guidelines to keeping my quests balanced.

Great game! A real step up from D1 in terms of rule simplicity. Now if they would just figure out a way to use the rest of the D1 components lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
noodlemans wrote:
I have to agree. At first I wasn't seeing the reasoning as to why an OL would want to introduce a rumor but these rules clear that up.

I still don't think that the boost the heroes get from a rumour quest is worth 1 threat token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Does anyone else think that Huge is bigger than Massive?

Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Man, I'm stoked!

I wasn't really digging the rules previews they mentioned as I was under the (incorrect) impression that for the Overlord it was going to be much more of a 'give up experience to get threat tokens' thing, thus really playing down the strategy of buying cards for you deck. I know see I was wrong and as such am super happy. Definitely picking up the figures now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
noodlemans wrote:
I have to agree. At first I wasn't seeing the reasoning as to why an OL would want to introduce a rumor but these rules clear that up.

I still don't think that the boost the heroes get from a rumour quest is worth 1 threat token.

It's one guaranteed threat token, and potentially four more threat tokens (if you knock the heroes out during that quest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeevs Rawese
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Good point... these packs are just looking better and better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It's one guaranteed threat token, and potentially four more threat tokens (if you knock the heroes out during that quest).

Two are guaranteed if a Rumor quest card is attempted — one for playing the Rumor card, and one for playing the quest (and a third for winning it as OL). Plus however many you might get from Plot cards that generate threat. So even Rumor quests where heroes could get a major reward early on might be worth it now.

For example, if you manage to use that Mass Mutation card of Bol'Goreth's to maximum effect, you could net up to 10 threat from a single Rumor quest.

Play rumor card: 1
KO all heroes: 2-4
Mass Mutation: Up to 4 (-1 activation cost)
Complete quest: 1
Win quest: 1

The XP-to-threat exchange rate is 1:3, so that's the equivalent of 3 XP you don't have to spend on threat tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the Fortune Token mechanic also. Only thing I am bit disappointed are the agents. They cost quite much and replace the monsters also which can't be used reinforcements. I am sure there will be also some big balance issues but that will naturally matter and that isn't usually so big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aHein wrote:
They cost quite much and replace the monsters also which can't be used reinforcements.

From the rules:

Quote:
While the agent is on the map, the overlord cannot use the monster figures it replaced as reinforcements, regardless of quest rules.

Emphasis mine. Lose the agent and you can reinforce with the monsters it replaced as normal, sounds like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do players gain Fortune tokens - the rules only seem to tell me how Overlords gain Threat tokens (quick first pass...)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, the strange thing is simply the double cost. You have to spend threat (which in this case turn into fortune tokens) just to summon the lieutenant, and THEN you also have to sacrifice some monsters. So in many cases, depending on the open groups you've got in the quest, this will be a sub-optimal choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Each time the overlord spends a threat token to trigger a Plot card, he must flip the token to its fortune side and place it on the Hero sheet which currently possesses the lowest number of fortune tokens.

If there is a tie, the heroes choose which hero among the tied heroes gains the token. If the overlord spends more than one threat token, he follows this process once for each token spent.

Agents seem to provide the best bang for your buck when you have a large monster group (like kobolds or fire imps).

Keep in mind that if you bring in Splig, say, to replace a master goblin archer or a fire imp or something similarly weak, you've just traded a fairly weak unit for a much stronger one — a 7-13 health Splig vs. a 4 health master unit in the case of the imps, for instance, with Knockback and other abilities, and with a stronger (albeit melee) attack besides. And you've still got one master imp left. That seems worth the threat cost plus a master monster to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only Agent card I saw said it required one master and one minion (or maybe two minions) to be replaced. Which would obviously preclude any 1/1 large groups, unless you seriously wanted to replace two strong monsters with a singular point of failure that will probably die in 2-3 hits like most lieutenants.

Replacing 1 master and 1-2 minion goblin archers with a Splig agent (which is slightly less powerful than the lieutanent) might be worthwhile, depending on the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not making these numbers up. The Splig summon card is in one of the previews; the agent replaces one master, and that is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Right, I shouldn't have named Splig in the second paragraph. I'm sure the 1+1 one I was thinking of was Valyndra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha. There are differing swap-in costs.

Also, the Splig agent anyway isn't any weaker than the lieutenant, aside from being unable to make attribute tests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank God they added more for the OL to think about in terms of upgrades. 2nd Edition was such a let down for the OL player when you considered how little there was to consider in developing your abilities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howlinpelle Almquist
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like these rules very much. Nice work, nice strategic advances. But really dont know which lieutnant i should buy. All maybe?!?

But i still have time to think about until the german version will come... argh ... cant wait !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.