Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Me and my friends have always ignored the omni-directional HQ melee attacks. We know about the rule, and we tried a couple of games with it, but we didn't like it. We've been playing NH this way for years now, and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it, and what their opinion is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
peterpotamus wrote:
Me and my friends have always ignored the omni-directional HQ melee attacks. We know about the rule, and we tried a couple of games with it, but we didn't like it. We've been playing NH this way for years now, and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it, and what their opinion is.

Wait so you guys play with allowing all enemy units next to HQs stay alive always after battle? Almost like every HQ is perpetually netted?

That sounds terrible. Different factions rely on that attack more or less so than others and it would completely tip the balance in favor of the melee oriented factions and the factions that normally hide in the corner and away from those with range and the factions that "dance" around the center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what J says here. In my view the game would stop working as the finely tuned machine it is if played as it is supposed to. But then again, everyone is free to houserule their own game, as long as all the players agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how you could enjoy playing a ranged army with this rule. Has the Outpost ever won a game when you guys play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Has the Outpost ever won a game when you guys play?

They fare very poorly, frankly, and we thought that was probably the reason. NY seem to be obscenely overpowered, on the other hand.

Other noticeable difference between our games and what I've seen from comments here is that our games almost always end with one player being eliminated before we run out of tiles. Pinning an opponent's HQ and surrounding it is always key. I suppose melee-centric armies are stronger the way we play it; I am personally on a ridiculous winning streak with NJ.

I have been thinking about starting to play the game right, but the few times we did that weren't as fun; it's very off-putting to know attacking an opponent's HQ from melee range means your units will die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterpotamus wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Has the Outpost ever won a game when you guys play?

They fare very poorly, frankly, and we thought that was probably the reason. NY seem to be obscenely overpowered, on the other hand.

Other noticeable difference between our games and what I've seen from comments here is that our games almost always end with one player being eliminated before we run out of tiles. Pinning an opponent's HQ and surrounding it is always key. I suppose melee-centric armies are stronger the way we play it; I am personally on a ridiculous winning streak with NJ.

I have been thinking about starting to play the game right, but the few times we did that weren't as fun; it's very off-putting to know attacking an opponent's HQ from melee range means your units will die.
It makes ranged teams and especially netters really powerful.

Additionally it adds a trade-off mechanic to battles. Playing a battle allows you to control the battle timing and optimize for it, but the battle will likely clear much of the board, giving your opponent an advantage in placing units in the newly cleared positions.

If you allow bases to be surrounded, it seems like whoever gets the better draws early will dominate the game since ever battle they will just keep hitting with everything they have. This seems like a much more luck based in a game that people already complain is too luck based with the draws. Obviously if you guys enjoy it more that way, by all means, but I think to people who have become accustomed to the rules as they are, it seems like quite a step backwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
peterpotamus wrote:
I am personally on a ridiculous winning streak with NJ.

Geezzz I didn't even think about Neo. How does anyone even come close to beating them if they can just keep their tiles on the board forever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.