Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My lunch mates and I play Tichu nearly every day. I'd like to mix it up with another game that shares certain qualities with Tichu:

1. Easily interrupted and continued later (or easily finished in the 45m-60m range, including setup/tear-down).
2. Similar complexity and depth.
3. Plays best with 4p.
4. Lots of re-playability.

Completely different mechanics and feel are fine. It doesn't necessarily have to be partnership-based or even card-based. We're open to old-school traditional card games too. We enjoy short Euros occasionally (St. Petersburg, Glenn More, 7 Wonders, ...), but nothing has come as close as Tichu as the perfect lunchtime game.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opposite problem. My co-workers and I play Tichu everyday at lunch and I can't generate any interest in anything else. Anytime we used to play another game, most were saying they'd rather be playing Tichu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has also been all Tichu all the time for quite a while.

Before that, we had had bouts of Coloretto and Fairy Tale. They're both fun, but they don't necessarily have the depth and replayability for which you're hoping.

We were also looking for something other than Tichu, in part because we'd sometimes have 5-7 players (and occasionally only 3).

In the last few weeks, we started switching to ebbes, and we've been enjoying it. It works for 3-5, and is just fine with 4.

It's a trick-taking game (exactly one card per player per trick - more like Bridge than Tichu). You have hands of 10 cards, so each hand doesn't take too long. The game is nominally 5 hands, but if you can fit only 3-4 in at lunch, it still feels fine.

What is special is that each hand is dynamic because the trump and point-scoring suits are determined during play (rather than by an auction beforehand). As a result, a successful strategy will be one that is flexible and can react to how players cause the suits to be identified.

It felt quite chaotic at first, but I think that we are starting to figure it out and appreciate the possibility of deeper strategy.

The game is brand new and available only by mail order from Germany. I thought that the shipping cost was reasonable (5.95 Euros, I think), and it didn't take too long to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard! Good for 4-6 (3 takes too long).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
seqiro wrote:
Wizard! Good for 4-6 (3 takes too long).

Looks like a bargain at Amazon Prime, $5.40 - I'll give it a whirl. I saw in Amazon's Wizard reviews a recommendation for a game called 'Elbows Up!', for which I cannot find a BGG entry. Looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mu and Was Sticht both fit the bill excellently, and as luck would have it they were both included in Mü & Lots More (way-back-when, I bought them separately).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, there are a bumch of 4-player partnership games I'd like to play once in a while (or even try), but on those rare occasions we've got a 4some that would be a good fit, we play Tichu. And I still don't get to play enough Tichu. But then I don't get to game at lunch. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Mu and Was Sticht both fit the bill excellently, and as luck would have it they were both included in Mü & Lots More (way-back-when, I bought them separately).

I just ordered Mu and Lots More off Ebay, looking forward to trying both games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
I just ordered Mu and Lots More off Ebay, looking forward to trying both games!

Man, I hope you have a good time with Mu. I tried Mu with my tichu group (just one Tichu group, sadly), and one of the players simply hates it, while the other 3 love it.

It is a really great take on a trick-taking game - it's really hardly about the tricks at all - it's all about the bidding.

Another game you can play with poker chips (or pennies) and a deck of cards is Doh Dhizou (although I'm sure I spelled this wrong). It's only for 3 players though, but it's quite similar to Tichu, with a sort of "poker bet" mechanic added in. Instead of counting points, you are basically betting coins, hoping to be the first one to go out. Dho Dhizou and Tichu actually have the same lineage - an Asian game called BIG TWO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Die Sieben Siegel, and so does my Tichu-loving group. Hard to find, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about these climbing card games:
Lectio
Frank's Zoo
Clubs [try crazy clubs!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just wanted to report back that Mu and Wizard are great card games!

Wizard is great for when a smaller learning curve is desired for occasional players and non-gamers. I enjoyed many games, but am pretty sick of it at the moment. It just happened to click really well with my group - we must have played 30+ games over the last few months.

Thankfully Mu was waiting in the wings, and we've begun playing it again after the Wizard interruption. Mu is wonderfully tense, and has some really interesting 'edges', just as Tichu did. Like Tichu, there is a significant learning curve. Everyone is still being too conservative with their bids, but the light bulbs are starting to turn on. I can already see that Mu is more than worth the effort, and encourage all Tichu players looking for a new challenge to check it out!

I'm still looking forward to trying the 'lots more' in Mü & Lots More, starting with Was sticht?. Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.