jose carrion
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imagine the situation:

France is at war with England. Habsburgs are near to win, everyone knows for the situation in the map that the easy way is just declare war to France and conquer one french key, since France is short of troops.

France ask for help to the other powers...can England give mercenaires to France while being at war ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell, the rules don't require a power giving mercenaries to be at peace with the power to which it's giving mercenaries. (This contrasts, of course, with fleet loans, for which two powers must be allied.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
No reason to think you can't, according to the rules. You have to be allied to lend fleets; there's no similar restriction of giving mercs.

But I believe the only time you can give mercs is during the negotiation phase; why not make peace and possibly ally if the French are about to get pushed over to end the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
CmdrOverbite wrote:
why not make peace and possibly ally if the French are about to get pushed over to end the game?

Remember, the English home card allows Henry VIII to declare war on France at any time. Unless France really thinks England is going to jump in on the action, it's better for him to stay at war because he won't have to pay the 3 ops later if he wants to go to war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose carrion
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
As far as I can tell, the rules don't require a power giving mercenaries to be at peace with the power to which it's giving mercenaries. (This contrasts, of course, with fleet loans, for which two powers must be allied.)

That was the question...you must be allied to give some fleets.. . but you could be at war and still give mercenaries ( of course in diplomacy phase)

It was just to be sure. Thanks everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If
a) England+France have agreed on the Caledonian Gambit (France intervenes, but moves out the Scottish troops), in return for mercs and card(s),
and
b) England has been unlucky with assault rolls,

then you might end up with situation where England needs to stay at war (in order to attack Edinburgh again in T2), but also needs to send mercs to satisfy its deal with France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.