Popular Tags: [View All]
uzix uzikas
United Kingdom
Crawley
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have difficulty finding people to play board games. I like playing games like Runewars, Descent 2nd edition, Blood bowl team manager, Earth Reborn.

I am thinking to buy a game which I can play by myself.

Would like to hear an advise from you guys, which game you would recommend.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy playing Sentinels of the Multiverse on my own. Robinson Crusoe is a good one too I'm guessing - although I've only played it with others.

To be honest the vast majority of co-op games are pretty easy to play on your own and have at least some level of reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game.

It may take you some time to learn, but I highly recommend it. You're already willing to demanding games like Runewars (long and complex) and Earth Reborn (complex and extremely time-consuming setup/breakdown). You also like BBTM, which bodes well for the deck-building element of Mage Knight.

It's in my top 3 games of all time. Maybe you'll like it too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
try this Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.

My experience is most coops work for one.

personally I love Elder Sign and Witch of Salem
Although Agents of SMERSH is good solo.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game would be great if the cards were loaded into an ap... there's too many packs of cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
As of right now my favorites are Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, Darkest Night (First edition) and At the Gates of Loyang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a real solitaire game. Designed to be played by one person.

Struggle for the Galactic Empire

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)

Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Hill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

If you like the 40k universe this is a great solitaire example. Different every time. I have the expansions, and play it once or twice a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For you, definitely Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say I'm going to answer your question with a few of my own: What genres do you enjoy? Do you want to play against a simulated AI or are you happy to play two sides of a 2 player game by playing each side to the best of your ability? Is there a particular theme or setting that appeals to you the most?

To get a good idea of what is being played and discover a few more solitaire games you can always check out theSolitaire Games on your tabletop October 2013 geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite games to play solo are Ghost Stories, Friday, Onirim, and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wazdaka wrote:
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

If you like the 40k universe this is a great solitaire example. Different every time. I have the expansions, and play it once or twice a week.

This is my favorite, though I've made many "house rule" changes to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
RFTG AI (play against the computer). I'd rather play a virtual opponent on a computer than a single player board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) I'm hoping, as I just ordered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Friday, but I also like a lot of Friedemann Friese's other games also. I also heard of another one called Hostage Negotiator which I don't believe is out yet, but sounds like it would be up my alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game

But it's tough to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight. Mage Knight! MAGE KNIGHT! EDIT: Really, this is the game I keep coming back to, again and again.

Victory Point Games has some great solitaire titles as well, including Nemo's War, Darkest Night, and Legions of Darkness. I also am a big fan of Lord of the Rings: LCG.

EDIT: I played Gears of War recently and enjoyed it a lot, too. Nice tactical shooter that includes official rules for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to
Ghost Stories
Friday
Elder Sign
Space Hulk: Death Angel

I'd also add
Yggdrasil
Renaissance Man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:

One of the best Butterfield has ever made in a stellar career. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Gears of War (Especially if you like the setup like Descent)
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it but if you like Descent then Mage Knight Board Game is a safe bet (I really should get that game some time).

Personally my favorite game at the moment, solo or otherwise, is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Awesome game, can't get enough of it, I solo it with three characters frequently.

Also Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is probably a good bet since you like fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ghost Stories - My favorite solo game. Don't use the power tokens. Play with all 4 ninjas instead. Lots of fun. Easy to adjust difficulty. White Moon expansion is fantastic too.

Just played Mage Knight in a group. Think it would be very fun solo. Definitely more setup, $$, rules and playtime. Worth it.

-1 Sentinels of the Multiverse - Not recommended as a solo game. Extremely fiddly - controlling villain, environment, 3 heroes with reminder tokens everywhere +/- Fire Ice Immunity Bleh. Super swingy. Best with 3-4 players, but is generally overrated.

For coops, Pandemic is actually great solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Synowiec
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
For pure solo running just one player:
Gears of War
Space Hulk Death Angel
Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

These are in my opinion experiences you can go play alone with only one player set up and have a chance at.

Solo with 2+ player set ups
Arkham Horror
Elder Sign
D&D Adventure games

All of these can be played alone you just need to run more then one players worth of stuff to have a viable chance of winning.

Hope these help they are all great games and good fun for a solo run. I can't comment on any other game I'm just going off of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the theme, definitely Mage Knight. It's a solid solitaire game, mechanically.

If you like the idea of being a Battlefield Commander, Thunderbolt Apache Leader is amazing. It plays more like a strategy videogame (choose pilots, level up, choose weapons, fly planes over terrain and try not to get shot down while taking out targets) than an actual war simulation. It's highly replayable and an excellent time. For an idea of how it plays, read this session report:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/872451/after-action-narrativ...

Quote:
It was oh-five-hundred when I got the call. The politicians back home home were demanding immediate results. I was tasked with assembling a close-air support squadron and taking the fight to the enemy. I was told I had three days and I had better take down at least two battalions each day or else I could kiss my new CO position goodbye. They wanted feel good stories to sell the populace back home.

The first fingers of light began to scratch at the sky as I entered the cool confines of the mobile command center. Its interior was illuminated by the glow of screens showing satellite feeds of the pending action areas. The hum of the equipment constantly droned in the background. I was greeted by Senior Airman Whitaker. He held a steaming cup of Joe and a report freshly spit out of the dot matrix printer chattering in the corner. “Good news, Papa Bear”, Whitaker said as he handed me the report and my coffee and then made his way back to his station. I scanned over the printout. It detailed a major offensive had begun and that it was likely to retard the enemy's ability to advance on our position. Not a bad way to start out the morning. I was hoping it was a good omen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look at Firefly: The Game if you have any interest in the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.