Popular Tags: [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to stay home from work today because I have a cold, which is not awesome. But it allowed me to spend a lot of time on BGG, which was awesome. Anyway, while working on a geeklist, watching a few video reviews of Essen releases, and generally perusing the site, I had a couple of observations.

1. The subscription feature on the site is really fantastic. It's hard to remember how different the whole BGG experience was in the days before it was implemented. It's wonderful to be able to pop in and out of various conversations, keep up with specific topics or users, and receive immediate notification when there is some new information about a particular game that interests me. I love me some BGG subscription functionality.

2. While there are some noteable exceptions, it's surprising how few really high quality images exist for many games in the database. I understand how this happens. When I take pictures at a game night, I'm interested in capturing the faces of the people playing the games. I'm often taking the pictures in order to share them with my friends. Eventually, lots of these types of images get uploaded. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's great to see pictures of people having fun, and enjoying games. But it seems that designers and publishers would also be interested in having a significant number of professional, close-up, high-resolution photographs of their games available on the site. When I play modern, designer boardgames, I'm constantly amazed by the quality of the artwork. It's a huge part of the appeal. But you can browse through pages of images for many games on BGG without finding anything that captures the feel of what the actual game looks like when spread out on the table before you. This isn't so much as complaint as it is a call to designers and publishers to consider utilizing the work of some of the really gifted photographers here in the BGG community.

Anyway, those are two random thoughts after a day spent on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Being able to Play by Forum and people being generally civil to each other are bonuses on this site as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.