Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days» Forums » General

Subject: Scouts and Skirmishers expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G. Parker
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am contemplating buying the Battle Patrol expansions along with a pack of Scouts and a pack of Skirmishers. Are the Scouts and Skirmishers sets something I'm going to wish I had two of each right after I order? Would rather buy two of each now to save on postage later if that's the case but need a nudge in that direction. Thanks for your input.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They ARE fairly powerful when compared to the rest of the soldiers. Yes, it is worth getting a set per player, so two sets of each would equip four players w/ 2-specialists each.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xmbalmr wrote:
I am contemplating buying the Battle Patrol expansions along with a pack of Scouts and a pack of Skirmishers. Are the Scouts and Skirmishers sets something I'm going to wish I had two of each right after I order? Would rather buy two of each now to save on postage later if that's the case but need a nudge in that direction. Thanks for your input.

I've got one of each and that seems sufficient. Because of their point cost, you probably won't need or be able to add more than one of their options per side. To have more than one of each, IMHO would be overkill.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Rohrer wrote:
They ARE fairly powerful when compared to the rest of the soldiers. Yes, it is worth getting a set per player, so two sets of each would equip four players w/ 2-specialists each.


Considering I only have the skirmisher upgraded Dreher and Maier to go by, I've noticed that Maier is a no-brainer at 3VP cost and quite the bargain for his cost. Are the scouts and skirmishers (other than Dreher and Maier) that people have gotten also better than regular soldiers for their VP cost?

I don't have a problem if scouts and skirmishers are better than regular soldiers, as they should be, but I would also think that "better" should also be reflected in their VP cost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for example, if you want a MGer and his Asst. as a team, and you then need to add an ammo can for 4 VPs...you've now got a "unit" that can fire every action phase...doesn't matter if you pull a shoot card. That's a pretty powerful team, but at a cost. Also, once they open up and are spotted, all bejoobies open up trying to take them out. For the extra 4 VPs you could add two more grunts (I'm talking Germans here)...so, unless you've got 9-10 guys on a side, probably not worth the cost to buy them for your side. I can see adding a team to each side if you've got 8-10 troops in your squad, more than that is getting goofy...it almost be like having 3-4 good leaders. For the cost, that would be your whole squad!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Parker
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the kind of support I was looking for! Time to order.

Kevin Rohrer wrote:
They ARE fairly powerful when compared to the rest of the soldiers. Yes, it is worth getting a set per player, so two sets of each would equip four players w/ 2-specialists each.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
xmbalmr wrote:
I am contemplating buying the Battle Patrol expansions along with a pack of Scouts and a pack of Skirmishers. Are the Scouts and Skirmishers sets something I'm going to wish I had two of each right after I order? Would rather buy two of each now to save on postage later if that's the case but need a nudge in that direction. Thanks for your input.

I've got one of each and that seems sufficient. Because of their point cost, you probably won't need or be able to add more than one of their options per side. To have more than one of each, IMHO would be overkill.


I am with Jim. The point cost is high and 2 sets is overkill unless you plan on running a monster game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Well, for example, if you want a MGer and his Asst. as a team, and you then need to add an ammo can for 4 VPs...you've now got a "unit" that can fire every action phase...doesn't matter if you pull a shoot card. That's a pretty powerful team, but at a cost. Also, once they open up and are spotted, all bejoobies open up trying to take them out. For the extra 4 VPs you could add two more grunts (I'm talking Germans here)...so, unless you've got 9-10 guys on a side, probably not worth the cost to buy them for your side. I can see adding a team to each side if you've got 8-10 troops in your squad, more than that is getting goofy...it almost be like having 3-4 good leaders. For the cost, that would be your whole squad!


Are there other Scouts/skirmishers that aren't MG/Asst and ammo? I mean other guys like Maier that for 3 VPs is really nice and gives you a mini-leader for a low cost.

For example, are there other 3VP German skirmishers that don't jack up your total squad cost like the MG/Asst/Ammo combo does? Are there American scouts that are 4 VP that are equal cost to some other "regular" American soldiers?

What I'm getting at, is aside from the MG/Asst/Ammo combo that will cost a lot for a smaller sized game, are there individual Scouts/Skirmishers that would be equal to the upper cost "regular" soldiers (3VP for upper Germans and 4 VP for upper American cost)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Parker
England
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some thoughts from the other G Parker from the other side of the pond.

I bought two sets of the scouts and skirmishers for the flexibility that they add to the game. If you are playing a 4 player game it gives each player a choice of this specialist soldier. You can also never guarantee the standard that new soldiers are going to be due to the individual make up of each character.

In my case, all the Germans are 4VP and have only a small number of equipment cards. Three have 3 Any cards and one has 2 Any cards. They all have 3 React cards. These soldiers are not much more expensive than normal GLI but the cards are much more flexible and give you more options.

My US scouts are a different story with one soldier costing 7VP, two at 6VP and one at 5VP. I find it a lot harder to justify the expense of these soldiers, but, again the cards and equipment can give you a lot of options that may justify the expense. For instance the 7VP scout has very average statistics but does have 4 Any cards and lots of equipment (I suspect he is really a quartermaster), this may balance the costs, but, I am sure I can find a use for the 6VP scout who can draw 2 cards, has 3 Any cards and 2 React cards who is the same cost as some of the leaders but with better cards.

I know it all boils down to preference/finances, but, I think most of us are in the more options are better camp.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gordon for giving some insight to what types of cards are there and their costs. Maier seems to be an exception in being only 3VP. So the 4 VP Germans specialists are definitely priced better for being better. Same for your Americans.

As with anything regarding soldiers, if you have the money, it's better to have more options for the right situations and scenarios.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.