Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
In both sessions, we've only managed the low 40s as a high score in three-player games. The -3 penalties for each card on your tableau at the end of game kill us every time. Does that seem right for new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that sounds about right for my scores for all of the games that I've played so far. Perhaps the more I play and the better I get then the higher my scores will get. But this game has a lot of randomness in the dice rolls and card draws - so those scores might be typical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scores of 50s to the 60s are the high scores in my games so far. I had 80 in my last game -15 to finish with 65. I have seen posts where people have scored 80+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats, just found this earlier thread.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/676736/average-scores

Looks like I'm an utter noob at games, given winning scores cracking 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
My wife and I have played 5 games so far:

Me 47
Wife 23

Me 64
Wife 51

Me 66
Wife 95

Me 58
Wife 65

Me 56
Wife 68
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played quite a few games of Macao(mostly 4p) and the most common winning score is in the 80s(often high 80s). Once you get use to the game you will likely finish with under 3 -3 tokens(you will learn how to plan to end the game with all or most cards activated). Keep enjoying this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You usually have to score 70-80 at my table to win. devil

My high score was 108. Lost that game by 3 points. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2p games against a seasoned opponent are usually upper 80s to low 90s with the occasional 100+. 3p and 4p are 70s and 80s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
In both sessions, we've only managed the low 40s as a high score in three-player games. The -3 penalties for each card on your tableau at the end of game kill us every time. Does that seem right for new players?

If you are ending up with lots of unplayed cards on your tableau at game end then you're not doing something right. You should be planning throughout the entire game on how you're going to be completing your cards. By the end of the game, you should have all your cards taken care of. Usually on the last turn you're spending most of your cubes on shipping goods.

Are you taking a lot of cards that are hard to complete? Or are you not thinking about what colors you'll need in the future? Are you taking a lot of 1's & 2's during the game? Ideally, you want to take as many 6's as possible and you want to be taking cards that fit with the colors in your windrose. Occasionally you may take low numbers to complete a card that is hard to do, i.e. four colors, or to avoid an empty windrose spot, but if you're doing it a lot then you're not being efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

If you are ending up with lots of unplayed cards on your tableau at game end then you're not doing something right. You should be planning throughout the entire game on how you're going to be completing your cards. By the end of the game, you should have all your cards taken care of. Usually on the last turn you're spending most of your cubes on shipping goods.

Are you taking a lot of cards that are hard to complete? Or are you not thinking about what colors you'll need in the future? Are you taking a lot of 1's & 2's during the game? Ideally, you want to take as many 6's as possible and you want to be taking cards that fit with the colors in your windrose. Occasionally you may take low numbers to complete a card that is hard to do, i.e. four colors, or to avoid an empty windrose spot, but if you're doing it a lot then you're not being efficient.

Use the offices. They are easy to complete. Have an eye for when the 1 and 2 cube offices will come available in the draft and plan to draft and complete those in the same round via your cube drafts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

Use the offices. They are easy to complete. Have an eye for when the 1 and 2 cube offices will come available in the draft and plan to draft and complete those in the same round via your cube drafts.

When our tableaus are filling up and we need to take a cheap card just to get it off - we call that wussing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
My 2p games against a seasoned opponent are usually upper 80s to low 90s with the occasional 100+. 3p and 4p are 70s and 80s.

Yah, had one two player game, recently (both of us paying 20+ times prior) end up with the winner having 35.

It came down to which direction we went in.

It's what I like about the game...it really is a game to game thing as you don't know what cards will come up, when, tied into the cube distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I never lost this game. My score is usually between 80 and 90. Last time I scored 107 in a 4-player game -- but I had been really lucky with some of my cards working well together (I had 3 of the 4 green offices early, and the card that lets you advance on the score track for each activated office...). I think that around 80 is normal for this game, you need luck (or weak opponents) to get higher than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, I don't know about that. I just played a game with 2 STRONG opponents. I scored 102 pts and finished 3rd. They were 110 and 108.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played 2 player and my score always seems to be about 20 points less than my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Uh, I don't know about that. I just played a game with 2 STRONG opponents. I scored 102 pts and finished 3rd. They were 110 and 108.

In 3-player scores tend to be a bit higher. But you still need a lucky turn-up of cards to score higher than 100, I think. Or the players must be really friendly to each other (I always try to obstruct my opponents by taking tiles from the city which they need, rush towards harbors where they want to score big, and grab cards that they can really use with great effectiveness -- without, of course, losing sight of my own goals).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.