Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could almost back this on theme alone (almost) but I would love to see the game in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I don't have the wherewithal to hunt down the exact comment and such, but here's what I've heard. FFP is actually using the funds to make this game, meaning they don't have everything premade. They have (some) of the original molds but don't want to screw with them. For now, they're using proxy minis, which is cool but would violate copyrights if they posted a video with them. Jason doesn't like using paper representatives as he feels it doesn't make the game look good, so they're looking in to some kind of digital video where they can impose their arrtwork, or just doing a play-by-play worded update with pics. Hope that helps some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's certainly not the answer I was expecting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I pledged a dollar so I could ask. They said pretty much what eyefink said.

"@Batei @Jason G - We are certainly interested in doing more info about gameplay. In a previous Comment, I wrote a lot about the challenges of doing a video without having game models. But we are working on doing something where the visuals are represented digitally. Not sure if it will be a video or write up with diagrams. It's also tough because we don't have layouts for all of the card types yet. I know people say that you can just show black and white stand-ins, but I've been in the game industry too long to think that way. It doesn't matter how much you say that something is a stand-in, people ignore that and judge it harshly as final art. That's why we are always careful to show good-looking polished stuff."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta agree with him. The general public is incredibly fickle and no matter how much you say, "THIS IS NOT FINAL! THIS IS STAND IN!" they still crap on your product.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, guys. You'd think they would've worked this out ahead of time. It's not like they shouldn't've known that we'd want to know how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be a bit ticked off to have paid $150+ for a game with sucky game play.

Hopefully they will figure out how to deliver on this unprecedented request for a game play video sooner than later. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should just use pieces from their other games as proxies. High quality, no trademark issues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
They should just use pieces from their other games as proxies. High quality, no trademark issues...

Yeah, I don't understand... They're a game company with a ton of extra, high-quality miniatures of their own. Just use LNOE, etc. It's clear they have already put a lot of heart and work into this game, but it doesn't really seem as though they thought this part of it through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be fine with a video showing actual gameplay but without any close-ups at all... just being able to hear what is happening but not being able to see any details.

For example, the adventurers walk into a room, they find monster token, they draw this monster card, 4 monster come out, and now they fight, and they use this weapon, and they roll this number, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really folks...

Those of you who know FFP, have they ever put out a turd??? NO...

You know their games, you know their quality. You know what they are about.

Feigning ignorance over the quality of product and expectations of FUN is simply silly.

YA i could see all this "Wana see game play video" shit from a no name company pushing stuff but seriously folks.

Has not FFP earned their street Board game cred?? Geesh..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Really folks...

Feigning ignorance over the quality of product and expectations of FUN is simply silly.

YA i could see all this "Wana see game play video" shit from a no name company pushing stuff but seriously folks.

Aren't you the guy who needed to be convinced to buy it two days ago?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
People get mad when you don't show gameplay with a reasonably finished product: "Why can't you show me what I'm shelling out my money for?!?"

People get mad when you do show them gameplay with a reasonably finished product: "What do you mean, you've already got everything made? What am I giving you my money for? This isn't to give you money to help develop the game, it's a glorified PREORDER system for a game that's made! That's not what Kickstarter is for!"

You know what? People get mad because they don't like the name "Battlelore second edition" or because the sky is blue.

When people want to see game pictures, they want to see a polished product that resembles the final appearance. They don't want something that's close (see the Snow Tails 2 thread here). The developers know that appearance matters, even if people say it doesn't. They know that if they show mockups, people will say "This looks like crap! I'm giving you $400 for THIS?"

That's the stage the game is in. It's in the mockup stage. Every game goes through that stage. And that is not what they want to show potential customers, especially when first impressions are still being formed. They're trying to come up with a solution that satisfies people but doesn't start a whole new slew of complaints or cause people not to buy the product. It doesn't mean they haven't "thought things through." I think they're being perfectly honest and sensible about this issue. Be patient. If you can't be patient, then don't support the KS. But don't rag on the developers for not being able to show you some kind of high-quality gameplay video. The game is apparently just not at that point yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
atraangelis wrote:
Really folks...

Aren't you the guy who needed to be convinced to buy it two days ago?

YEP Sure am!
Now im that other guy!

Remember the question i asked was if the game will have a spot in my collection??.. not if it was good or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Past reputation, does not a good game make. Without naming names, several "big name" game designers would assure you that some stinkers came off their drawing boards and went retail. As far as production value, yes you can safely believe FFrog will have great looking stuff. However, game play has to be seen, or at least visualized and understood, to make that call.

For $75 - $150, it better be doggone good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:

Hopefully they will figure out how to deliver on this unprecedented request for a game play video sooner than later. whistle

I can understand that logic, and the only reason I'm willing to pledge money with seeing so little, is the company has a very good track record in making the kind of games I enjoy.

I would NOT back a brand new game company with so little info though, so There is a lot of "faith" and "Trust" going in with my pledge. It is not something I can see everyone doing though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soul42 wrote:
sabbat00 wrote:

I can understand that logic, and the only reason I'm willing to pledge money with seeing so little, is the company has a very good track record in making the kind of games I enjoy.

I would NOT back a brand new game company with so little info though, so There is a lot of "faith" and "Trust" going in with my pledge. It is not something I can see everyone doing though.

That's exactly my angle as well.
I love FFP games. Some ar elong , some silly but one thing for sure to -ME- they are all fun.
My main concern in my case was if the game may overlap my other games in my collection and would there be enough difference in this ine to merit a place.
For example i don't own mars Attacks, overlaps LNOE.
and i don't have Cliffhanger game..cant figure out why yet..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
My main concern in my case was if the game may overlap my other games in my collection and would there be enough difference in this ine to merit a place.

Honest questions...

How did you determine this? Is there info out there that helped you answer your concern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Honest questions...

How did you determine this? Is there info out there that helped you answer your concern?

Yes , the BGG community!..

I asked to look at my collection and then SOB.
The main issue that trumped was
IT seems to be like WQ and its single player or COOP Dungeon crawl(DC).
The only games in my collection that are COOP DC are the DND series and they have fallen by the way side to Descent. Once realizing this, I would enjoy a more meaty DC, especially coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Really folks...

Rather it is "good" or a "turd" is subjective, hence why I would like a video. For example there is ZERO detail on how combat works. Very little detail on the campaign system that I can find. It is still early in the campaign they have time to address these things. But dishing out $150 for a game without having much of an idea of how it plays is not for me.

Where is the Rahdo run through when you need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabbat00 wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Honest questions...

There is a fair amount of "gameflow" info at the bottom of the KS page that tells you what a turn is like. No details, but enough to give you a feel for how it plays.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could always go the Cheapass Games route and have paper tokens denoting minis, and printouts for the tiles. That way we can get an idea of how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
People get mad when you don't show gameplay with a reasonably finished product: "Why can't you show me what I'm shelling out my money for?!?"

People get mad when you do show them gameplay with a reasonably finished product: "What do you mean, you've already got everything made? What am I giving you my money for? This isn't to give you money to help develop the game, it's a glorified PREORDER system for a game that's made! That's not what Kickstarter is for!"

You know what? People get mad because they don't like the name "Battlelore second edition" or because the sky is blue.

When people want to see game pictures, they want to see a polished product that resembles the final appearance. They don't want something that's close (see the Snow Tails 2 thread here). The developers know that appearance matters, even if people say it doesn't. They know that if they show mockups, people will say "This looks like crap! I'm giving you $400 for THIS?"

What people are asking here, is for info to make a buying decision. I don't know about you but I like to take a car for a test drive before buying it, regardless of the fact I've enjoyed cars from that maker in the past.

Ok, the games not in a position to test drive, but they can at least give us the specs of the vehicle and how it can be used. Even a text write up of a few rounds or something would be better than what we currently have.

Once I make a decision to buy, I'm happy as long as its not faulty, but that's because I make sure products do what I want them to do before buying them. That doesn't make me difficult or fickle, merely prudent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad part about Kickstarter is that when a project is so well over-funded so quickly, the creators have no need to respond to requests asking for game play details or videos.

The backers who are on the fence, are usually SOL because the backers who are overly optimistic or careless have already provided the capital to make it happen.

Who needs the discerning gamer at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But with this kickstarter, if you don't back it now, you're only missing out on one mini. You can get everything else when it's released (probably cheaper than the KS through discounters)...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.