Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGGs,

Here's the skinny,

I bought Mage knight primarily for single player use MOSTLY. And heard it was a great game. Upon trying to learn and execute. It was a fail. Also having kids and a busy work schedule I cannot commit to the time needed outside of Game nights.

So i have been trying to sell it. Now a person wants it but as a trade for Arkham Horror. I love the lovecraftian nature but I know time requirement are still big in this game.

Ultimately my Mage knight is in like new....his Arkham horror is "definite shelf wear, but components in good condition. He is also offering to add kahuna or intrigue or $10

What do you think of this trade
What would you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games.

IMO:

Arkham is a wonderful game, but I feel it's story comes out better when someone else can read to you the horrible things that happen on your turn. The suspense is kinda lost when you're reading it to yourself. I say this as Arkham being my number one. If I ever have a choice, Arkham hits the table. The expansions and replay value are terrific.

Mage Knight, which I also own, is also great 1 player. It does have expansions, and high re-playability, and is also time consuming.

I think you would be able to find a base copy of Arkham for way less than what Mage Knight is worth. For the extra $10, or either of the games (if there are on your radar), I'm not really sure if it's worth giving up MK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the way I see it and just my thoughts on this:

Seeing that you are in Canada:
Mage Knight MSRP = $80
Arkham Horror MSRP = $55

Subtract from the MSRP based on condition alone,
being that your Mage Knight is basically new but opened, and his Arkham Horror has noticeable wear. I'd discount for that.

Your Mage Knight = $70
His Arkham Horror = $40

If you really want to trade ask him to throw in $30 for those reasons.

However, my concern is that if Mage Knight didn't make it to the table due to mostly time issues. Arkham Horror is even longer of a game, and the rules are just as daunting to learn. It's not likely going to hit the table either, despite both of them being great games for entirely different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Darkest Night (First edition) to replace AH and Runebound (Second Edition) instead of MK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that's a pretty fair trade.

According to B&B online prices (forget MSRP, no one pays that):
MK is $55
AH is $40
And with the extra $10 or game thrown in, it makes it pretty even.

And you shouldn't ignore the intrinsic value you place on games as well. If the trade sounds good to you, then do it. If you are always trying to get a deal or trade favorably, then you'll miss out on a lot of opportunities. The bottom line is, this is a very reasonable offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the trade value, I think the first question you need to ask is if Arkham Horror will get played. If you aren't playing Mage Knight because it's too long, will you really play Arkham Horror? If not, then you're no better off after the trade.

If you decide Arkham Horror will get played, then consider the value question. Personally, I think the value is a little in his favor, but not too much. It's not a horrible offer.

If you want to hold out for something better or that will get more playtime, I don't think you should have a problem finding a trade for Mage Knight. There are always more trade opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A O
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:

MK is $55
AH is $40

And you shouldn't ignore the intrinsic value you place on games as well. If the trade sounds good to you, then do it. If you are always trying to get a deal or trade favorably, then you'll miss out on a lot of opportunities. The bottom line is, this is a very reasonable offer.

we pay msrp frequently in canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
andols wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

MK is $55
AH is $40

we pay msrp frequently in canada.

Apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an auction with Arkham Horror, BIN for $25

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164406/the-auction-tha...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see AH working for you for much the same reasons MK doesn't work for you. Time. I think you should give MK another try. Try watching some videos on gameplay and print out some game aids. I wouldn't do the trade if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, going from Mage Knight to Arkham Horror, is like going from Mage Knight back to Mage knight. If you do not have the time to invest in Mage knight, you certainly do not have the time to invest in Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously skip AH it's more of a book keeping exercise than fun gaming experience. Check out Eldritch Horror instead. Also consider Witch of Salem, Darkest Night (First edition) and Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Value wise, I think it is a fair trade. Time wise, I could solo Arkham Horror with 4 investigators in about 2 hours on average. Most of that time was spent doing the bookkeeping and trying to keep track of all of the continuing effects.

Mage Knight takes me 3 to 4 hours to solo, but most of that time is spent actually thinking about strategy rather than bookkeeping.

I would definitely wait a few weeks and check out Eldritch Horror when it comes out if you are really wanting a Lovecraft game. It is supposed to cut down the bookkeeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First of all, where the heck are you paying MSRP?

www.germangames.com
www.fungamescafe.com
www.geekstopgames.com

I prefer germangames.com (for no other reason than I found them first) for OLGS, but go to 401 Games or Hairy Tarantula in Toronto for my FLGS and don't pay MSRP there either.

Secondly, +1 to Darkest Night (First edition), which I've seen described as Arkham-lite by more than one BGGer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. R.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We pay msrp in Canada? I can't recall last time I did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is the type of game you can play turn by turn whenever you have some free time and if you can't leave it set up the Vassal version is a great alternative.

Arkham Horror takes up a ton of space and I can't see it being shorter (unless you plan on lossing). It also doesn't really lend itself to casual play. You either sit down and experience it or you don't.

Personally I love Mage Knight and am pretty cool on Arkham Horror but to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.